Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps, 4-1. Jarry, get ready to learn Arizonan, buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
1000003957.png

Look at the difference in records. Another case of Sullivan shooting the team in the foot for no reason. Why was Jarry given so much rope when we know hes awful after the all star break

Reactions: Gurglesons

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I could see Jarry being movable when he's compared against the other options on the UFA market. He's struggled in the second half, but for his career he's a .909 to .921 starter.

Getting a first for him probably only happens if a Campbell or Korpisalo is coming the other way though. However, if we thought a guy like him was going to rebound to historical performance after a down year we'd be talking about that guy as a potential replacement for Jarry. I bet there are GMs out there that think Jarry will bounce back.
Jarry is moveable. I think every NHL player is, really, it just comes down to having the will to accept the kind of deal it takes to move them.

Now, I don't think Jarry will be viewed as a negative contract, they won't have to add to move him, but they'd have to be willing to accept something like a 3rd or a 4th while having no clear goalie who's shown they can handle 50+ games a year on the roster.

Further, isn't Ned a UFA? If he wills the Penguins into the playoffs, I find it hard to believe teams would take Jarry instead of going after Ned and either getting a cheaper+better (or at the very worst equivalent player) or hamstringing the Penguins by forcing them into a bidding war.

Reactions: Sideline

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jarry is moveable. I think every NHL player is, really, it just comes down to having the will to accept the kind of deal it takes to move them.

Now, I don't think Jarry will be viewed as a negative contract, they won't have to add to move him, but they'd have to be willing to accept something like a 3rd or a 4th while having no clear goalie who's shown they can handle 50+ games a year on the roster.

Further, isn't Ned a UFA? If he wills the Penguins into the playoffs, I find it hard to believe teams would take Jarry instead of going after Ned and either getting a cheaper+better (or at the very worst equivalent player) or hamstringing the Penguins by forcing them into a bidding war.

Lyon did the same thing for Florida last year and got nothing.

Reactions: vodeni

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Lyon did the same thing for Florida last year and got nothing.
that's good then, it's better for the Penguins. I still don't see Jarry fetching anything close to a great return, and since no one in the system is close to ready to starting in the NHL, i don't think they'll move him and try to find a 1b in the UFA market

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

The Pens don't have to wait until July 1st to sign, Ned. They have first crack at him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
that's good then, it's better for the Penguins. I still don't see Jarry fetching anything close to a great return, and since no one in the system is close to ready to starting in the NHL, i don't think they'll move him and try to find a 1b in the UFA market

I think you could do a bad contract swap for a team that needs a goalie. The issue is I'm not sure who it would be.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think you could do a bad contract swap for a team that needs a goalie. The issue is I'm not sure who it would be.
Or even which position. We already want out of some of our contracts at D and bottom-6. Not sure we want to add a questionable 4-5Mil to either of those positions

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Like, it would be cool to have a stud as hell starting goaltender for $8mil rather than hoping FA guys can cover you

But those are rare. And jarry also isn't that. So, if you're in a situation where that's the case, it's not smart to invest in jarry, a guy who is not going to push you over the top any better than random FA guy(s)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s a wonder that any teams ever lose players in free agency

Depends on what that player is looking for. He's still gonna be looked at as a backup and not a 1A. His sample size will be brought up and he'll be lucky to get a 2/3 year 2.5/3.0 contract.

Let's remember he wasn't doing all that much better, and finally when the team gives a crap he's doing well/better.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Like, it would be cool to have a stud as hell starting goaltender for $8mil rather than hoping FA guys can cover you

But those are rare. And jarry also isn't that. So, if you're in a situation where that's the case, it's not smart to invest in jarry, a guy who is not going to push you over the top any better than random FA guy(s)

This also isn't a Jarry problem, this is a league wide problem. The league is getting faster league wide while dropping down defensively pushing north so much with defensive players pinching ever more.

Goalies are propped up by the depth of their team. Very few teams are deep like the Pens were in 2016/2017, and even then, they had bad games where the scoring depth pulled them through.

The Pens simply don't have the depth to hide the eye test. Eventually, that pressure will catch up to Ned even because, giving up 20 high danger chances regularly takes a toll even on the best of the best goaltenders.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This also isn't a Jarry problem, this is a league wide problem. The league is getting faster league wide while dropping down defensively pushing north so much with defensive players pinching ever more.

Goalies are propped up by the depth of their team. Very few teams are deep like the Pens were in 2016/2017, and even then, they had bad games where the scoring depth pulled them through.

The Pens simply don't have the depth to hide the eye test. Eventually, that pressure will catch up to Ned even because, giving up 20 high danger chances regularly takes a toll even on the best of the best goaltenders.

Nah. Jarry just sucks.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Nah. Jarry just sucks.
these conversations are pointless. There are just some people who refuse to ever blame the goalie for the puck entering the net. You can point to other teams with the same deficiencies and "worse" goalies but better numbers, doesn't matter. You can point to different goalies playing ON THIS TEAM with better numbers, doesn't matter. There are some people who just refuse to accept that Tristan Jarry's job in the NHL is to prevent the puck from going into the net.

Tristan Jarry's job, according to these people, is specifically "to save the pucks which he saved, and to be absolved of blame (for reasons that defy logic) for any and all pucks that he successfully did not save"

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
He better not be, you ride Ned until he falters. If Jarry/Sully can't understand that they are not good team players.
I'd be curious to see Ned's career stats for the most amount of consecutive games started. That might still be the move, but I'm honestly not even sure the last time a goalie for any team started 3 of 4 in the RS (which he just did). Again, would be interesting to see for comparison's sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 66-30-33

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis

That's fine, but if that's the case, what's the justification for a 5x5? When a 2x1 3x2, etc would flounder the same behind our wilted team?

Name recognition for five years in a highly visible position to sell jerseys and milkshake advertising opportunities?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The next game is an afternoon one and Ned has already played 3 in 4 nights. As much as I don't like rolling the dice with Jarry in April, Ned will need a breather very soon.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The resurgence is gonna make the inevitable falling just short of the finish line that much more hilarious. The Bills fan in me can't wait--feels like home. :laugh:

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad