Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Canes | loss | Bunch of Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
@Andy99 is the only other one I know that listens to DKs podcast if he remembers that quote.

I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it at the time, but my mind is clear now.
I mean, even when Rust was his brief playoff-warrior-self, I can think of many more players that are better to study for bottom 6 tweeners to shape their game.

Reactions: Night Shift

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Oh I'm 100% certain Rust is the Ultimate Penguin to Sully

It's everything Sullivan wanted to be. A bottom six grinder.. Getting to this game... And being a first line player.

It is Sullivan’s vicarious dream.

And Sully LEAD him there. He found the diamond in the rough. He MADE Bryan Rust... And he is going to keep making Rust.

Guaranteed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
@Andy99 is the only other one I know that listens to DKs podcast if he remembers that quote.

I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it at the time, but my mind is clear now.
I miss some of those podcasts so I dont remember that comment, but I try to listen because he does throw in some crazy shit every now and then…

Reactions: Night Shift

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rust's goal scoring (shooting % at 8.3) and defensive play is down (-12) and I'm gonna say it's partially due to the addition of Rakell. There's only so much ice-time to give. He's still on pace to be around 50 points. But he never see's ice-time away from the top 2 lines except the PK. Goal scoring and defensive play needs to be better.

Otherwise, he's not really having an off year. His shorten season bloated numbers should not be deemed normal.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The best thing for this team, if Hextall is not going to make a big move, is to miss the playoffs, and I will be disappointed if they squeak in and play the Bruins or Canes, and I’m forced to watch that slaughter lol…so I’m hoping for losses to Anaheim and Ottawa in the coming up week…

Lavi is benching players, changing player combos and trying everything he can think of to get the Caps winning, including changing the system, and Sullivan is just like hum de dum, nothing to see here…I’m at the point I just want to smack his smug face when I see him at a postgame presser…

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The best thing for this team, if Hextall is not going to make a big move, is to miss the playoffs, and I will be disappointed if they squeak in and play the Bruins or Canes, and I’m forced to watch that slaughter lol…so I’m hoping for losses to Anaheim and Ottawa in the coming up week…

Lavi is benching players, changing player combos and trying everything he can think of to get the Caps winning, including changing the system, and Sullivan is just like hum de dum, nothing to see here…I’m at the point I just want to smack his smug face when I see him at a postgame presser…
Yeah I hate this team from players to suits and everything in between them...
I can't stand this crap penguin hockey...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Rust stopped really giving it his all a couple years ago, which wasn't that big of a deal because he was like a near-PPG player. Now he floats *and* he's settled back down to being like a ~50pt guy. Very cool--glad he's locked up until the heat death of the universe with a NTC, and the team's got a coach that can't help but sabotage his top line by misusing Rust.

Should've moved his ass at the deadline last year.
third or fourth line would do wonder for his game

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah I hate this team from players to suits and everything in between them...
I can't stand this crap penguin hockey...
see I can't hate players, they are as good bunch as you can have, super likable and genuinly good people for the most part, they fell into a trap of self bulshit, parroting the message from their HC, and actually beleiving in simplification and sticktoitevness....I guaranteed you with a right HC this team would get a jolt and their last hurray that could take them distance

Reactions: Andy99 and LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
see I can't hate players, they are as good bunch as you can have, super likable and genuinly good people for the most part, they fell into a trap of self bulshit, parroting the message from their HC, and actually beleiving in simplification and sticktoitevness....I guaranteed you with a right HC this team would get a jolt and their last hurray that could take them distance
I believe that same sentiment... but it isn't going to happen - this season at least - and for that.... I just can't stand this team / coaches...
🤮

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's pointless to breakdown individual players with the current roster. The trouble is the group as a whole and it's design by the stubborn coach and spineless GM.

A lot of parts that currently look broke would look different from change; both here and elsewhere.

#softkisses

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Seeing Smith play really makes the Marino deal look awful.
That trade was directly correlated with the Petry trade. So it was more upgrading Marino with Petry, and it cost him, Matheson and a 4th while we also got back smith and Poehling.

It’s still not looking great but the logic was fine at the time. In a vacuum that trade was never going to look favorable for us but yeesh Smith has been about as underwhelming as we could’ve expected

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
It's pointless to breakdown individual players with the current roster. The trouble is the group as a whole and it's design by the stubborn coach and spineless GM.

A lot of parts that currently look broke would look different from change; both here and elsewhere.

#softkisses
I can’t agree. Look at the way guys like Carter, Heinen, Blueger skate. Look at Smith try and run a PP. They skate slow, they think slow, they react slow. They are completely hopeless right now. If you stick one of them on another team with an existing roster that’s deep and plays cohesively, then maybe their deficiencies would be masked. But there are just way too many passengers on this team right now

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He shouldn't even BE here at the moment. :laugh: That's the whole problem with this team and this organization and this coach in a nutshell.

"Why does this dog keep shitting on my kitchen floor? It's disgusting."

"Well, he's been trained to only do it twice a day instead of the usual five times."

"Oh, well that makes it so much more tolerable then."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can’t agree. Look at the way guys like Carter, Heinen, Blueger skate. Look at Smith try and run a PP. They skate slow, they think slow, they react slow. They are completely hopeless right now. If you stick one of them on another team with an existing roster that’s deep and plays cohesively, then maybe their deficiencies would be masked. But there are just way too many passengers on this team right now

The entire team plays slow. It’s the system.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Exactly. Team was slow as molasses in 2015 with Johnston. Sully came and changed them to the fastest team in the league with almsotnthe same roster. Now Sully is Johnston.

Part of it is usage. He expects our slower forwards to be able to move the puck out of the dzone every night when it continuously doesn’t work.

If he wants to play that game he needs to be utilizing Rust and Kapanen in the bottom six more frequently.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Part of it is usage. He expects our slower forwards to be able to move the puck out of the dzone every night when it continuously doesn’t work.

If he wants to play that game he needs to be utilizing Rust and Kapanen in the bottom six more frequently.

He also needs to actually dress the defensemen who can move the puck crisply to the forwards for quick strike transition offense. Instead, he dresses a guy like Ruhwedel over Friedman and plays Dumoulin 20 minutes per night, then wonders why we have trouble moving the puck quickly up the ice.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The entire team plays slow. It’s the system.
Lack of foot speed isn’t a system problem. This team won what, 12 of 13 or something when they had Letang/Petry/Archibald/Poehling healthy? Guys who can actually keep up with the play?

Missing 4 guys isn’t the sole reason they’ve stunk lately, but the 4 guys they were replaced with are certainly humongous drop offs

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lack of foot speed isn’t a system problem. This team won what, 12 of 13 or something when they had Letang/Petry/Archibald/Poehling healthy? Guys who can actually keep up with the play?

Missing 4 guys isn’t the sole reason they’ve stunk lately, but the 4 guys they were replaced with are certainly humongous drop offs

That’s why the genius coach needs to alter the line ups to play the system they can play..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille