Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Blues

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
You're right, there was a noticeable dip. It speaks to the fragility of this team.

The 55 minutes they played well were meaningless. The 5 they played poorly? That shows how horrible they truly are.:laugh::sarcasm:

I didn't see that at all, I actually thought the Blues had the better scoring chances at even strength, the difference was Greiss and special teams IMO.

Fair enough. Not what I was seeing but different strokes make the world go round.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I understand one game doesn't change everything, but come on people. Let's give the team credit.

++++ Sidney Crosby: Best game in ages. He played SMART and simple hockey.
++++ Greiss: Admit it. dude played well

I was extremely happy with the forwards playing defense. They were the difference maker in this game. They made every potential odd man rush numbers in our favor. Great job by all the forwards.

Big ups to Hornqvist who reverted back to God w/ Sid.

We looked good. It's day 1 and step 1 in the process. What I saw tonight was definitely sustainable. People cannot ***** in any way about this evening.

yep, the team playing like they did tonight (minus the last 5 minutes or so) is a few tweaks from being a legit contender. But they need to keep their heads out of their *****.

Michael8771*

The 55 minutes they played well were meaningless. The 5 they played poorly? That shows how horrible they truly are.:laugh::sarcasm:
Listen, they played a good game. But the Blues were flat, lets not see it for more than it is. Also, we need to make changes, and if this win in anyway dissuades JR from making a trade. Well, then I just as soon see us lose 7-1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yes Jordan Staal is the answer! We never had any depth / scoring issues before he left. Look how much he's lit it up in Carolina, playing Top 6 minutes the entire time he's been there, with guys like Skinner and his brother. Playing here with 3rd liners, he's bound to go off.

Is Jordan Staal better than Sutter? Unquestionably. Will he be worth the cost in terms of assets and Cap Space? Almost guaranteed he won't be unless we can somehow ream them in the trade and get them to keep salary at the same time. Good luck with that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There was just something I couldn't pick out on the breakout. It was definitely different. I wish I could see an overview of this game and the CBJ game and watch the breakout. Something changed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Listen, they played a good game. But the Blues were flat, lets not see it for more than it is. Also, we need to make changes, and if this win in anyway dissuades JR from making a trade. Well, then I just assume we'd lose 7-1.

Do you mean "I'd just as soon see us lose 7-1."?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Just nice to see them play some decent hockey for a change.

I few things that stood out to me

-Sid looked hungry. (No, not Tkachuk hungry)
-Guys were getting on the puck carrier quick and at good angles.
-Backchecking and transitions were much better
-Support

Michael8771*

I understand one game doesn't change everything, but come on people. Let's give the team credit.

++++ Sidney Crosby: Best game in ages. He played SMART and simple hockey.
++++ Greiss: Admit it. dude played well

I was extremely happy with the forwards playing defense. They were the difference maker in this game. They made every potential odd man rush numbers in our favor. Great job by all the forwards.

Big ups to Hornqvist who reverted back to God w/ Sid.

We looked good. It's day 1 and step 1 in the process. What I saw tonight was definitely sustainable. People cannot ***** in any way about this evening.
You know what's disturbing, you had a completely different take before the game. Well, I believe it was you. If I'm getting you mixed up with someone else I apologize. In any case this win in the big picture isn't exactly a positive.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Here's my big +

We beat one of the Top 3 teams in the league and arguably the deepest team. The way things have been this season I am never complaining about that. There is hope as long as we can do that. Just need to play like that against our own conference in the playoffs.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yes Jordan Staal is the answer! We never had any depth / scoring issues before he left. Look how much he's lit it up in Carolina, playing Top 6 minutes the entire time he's been there, with guys like Skinner and his brother. Playing here with 3rd liners, he's bound to go off.

Is Jordan Staal better than Sutter? Unquestionably. Will he be worth the cost in terms of assets and Cap Space? Almost guaranteed he won't be unless we can somehow ream them in the trade and get them to keep salary at the same time. Good luck with that.

Well they do need size and strength in the bottom six, I don't know that Staal is the answer, but they need someone in that mold.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Listen, they played a good game. But the Blues were flat, lets not see it for more than it is. Also, we need to make changes, and if this win in anyway dissuades JR from making a trade. Well, then I just assume we'd lose 7-1.

I agree we shouldn't make it more than it is. It was 1 game. They played well, I am happy about that. However, you are right that you can't draw many conclusions because of 1 game. That is why people shouldn't assume that JR thinks everything is just fine because of 1 game. It works both ways.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Was Downie a healthy tonight? Really?

Any line changes tonight? Horny back with Sid or no?

Perron-Sid-Horny happened, and it was beautiful. Geno and Comeau continued playing great together, and Kunitz hung out on the ice with them on occasion He was even near the goal for Comeau's deflection.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How is this win NOT a positive, Michael? Honest to God. Yes... i know it's not the end all be all. It's a start. We all wanted AT LEAST a start. This was the start. Most noticeably in Sidney Crosby.

What the hell guys? We wanted to see this. This is what we NEEDED to see.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

Exactly.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
LOL. Wait, what? Sill over Beau???

3rd line was Sill-Sutter-BB for the 1st and the first half of the 2nd. MJ went back to Spaling-Sutter-BB for the last half of the game. Why he didn't know Sill on the 3rd line was a bad idea without having to try it first is really beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad