Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Blues

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Good win as it stems the slide. what makes the evening is MJ finanly played the first line correctly. second line has to move kinitz to the third line. Would much rather see Comeau with his speed ans Spaling as the digger and going to the net. Kunitz is fine with Bennett and Sutter. Downie on fourth line with Adams sitting is my fourth line.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
there is no hope for this team unless they fundamentally change the roster and dynamic of this team/lockerroom/organization.

This comment is very out of place after a well-played game against a very good opponent. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but it's literally not related to the topic at all and I don't know what your goal is with it, other than start an argument.

Michael8771*

Pretty bad final seven minutes. Greiss played well, until the end . Bad defensive zone coverage as well.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
+PCH. Especially the later two. Just dominant games from both of them. Sid was shot out of a rocket tonight and Hornqvist, NOT KUNITZ, is the PERFECT linemate for Sid. Guy just goes to the net and knows where to be.
+Lappy. Had a really strong game. Unfortunately, like Goc, has 2 anchors so we will never really know how effective he could be with a real 4th line. Still think he's a better fit than Goc though.

-Last 5 minutes. Blues upped the intensity and we couldn't match it. I know I know we were up 4-0.. well finish it without drama for once. Play 60 minutes, not 55.
-Perron usage. Johnston absolutely hates the guy. Never gets 4 on 4 time with Sid, doesn't get 1st PP time even though he deserves it over Kunitz, and wasn't even allowed to play the last shift of the game with Sid and Horny, instead getting subbed out for Spaling. Guy is our best winger. PLAY HIM LIKE HE IS.
-Johnston. PCH should have been a line 10 games ago. How the **** do WE get this and you don't??? Also I hate to break it to ya but Adams and Sill both suck.
-Scuds. Guy is brutal.

The power play scored twice, which is good. I really kinda was liking the 2 strong power play units as opposed to 1, especially like I just said, we don't even load up the one since Kunitz is there instead of Perron. Pouliot and Letang could be great together on the PP, and letting Geno and Sid each play the half wall for a minute would be better imo.

Great effort tonight though. Really just never know what you're gonna get with this team. I listed more negatives than positives, which doesn't really reflect how I viewed this game, there's just so many little tweaks to be made that could really make even more positive impacts.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Nice win, but i think you gotta remember Blues played last night, that was a nice break for the pens.

And even though it was a nice win its not like the pens played better tonight then they have recently, the only real difference was they were plus 2 goals in special teams.

If the special teams picks up its play pens will look like a totally different team.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
+ solid road win. some questionable loose play at the end of the 3rd period when they thought they had it... but still.
+ the top 6 looked a lot better with the rearrangement. hornqvist looks a lot more effective with crosby than with malkin.
+ the pp looked better.
+ greiss made some timely saves.

the blues did play last night though.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Nice win, but i think you gotta remember Blues played last night, that was a nice break for the pens.

And even though it was a nice win its not like the pens played better tonight then they have recently, the only real difference was they were plus 2 goals in special teams.

If the special teams picks up its play pens will look like a totally different team.

They played a lot better than they have been recently. Totally disagree that the pp goals were the only difference.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
we completely lost steam after the review no goal.

I commented in the game thread after a moment in the third.. It was right after I think Backes and Bort got misconducts. The Pens stopped playing hockey for a couple minutes. They held the puck in the defensive zone and didn't really try to do anything. The only things they did for a couple minutes were turn it over (Malkin with a horrible one and Scuderi with at least one horrible one). That was when it looked like they mailed it in, aside from the power plays after.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Pretty bad final seven minutes. Greiss played well, until the end . Bad defensive zone coverage as well.

I think the 29 minutes Letang played caught up with him, plus with Bort out, you had 51 and 47 out, and they got confused on the first Blues goal.

Bort's actually been better the past couple/few games. Wonder why he and Backes got the extra 10s.

Nice effort. Let's see if they can put out two nights in a row. At least Panthers also played tonight.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
there is no hope for this team unless they fundamentally change the roster and dynamic of this team/lockerroom/organization.

This is borderline trolling. Honest to God. The structure was there tonight. It wasn't similar to DB teams where they went out and spanked some team w/ skill. The forwards were lights out defensively. the defense was bending but not breaking. We out toughed one of the toughest teams in all the league.

What in the ****ing WORLD did you see tonight? Your complaints were fine prior to tonight but tonight is everything we asked for.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think the 29 minutes Letang played caught up with him, plus with Bort out, you had 51 and 47 out, and they got confused on the first Blues goal.

Bort's actually been better the past couple/few games. Wonder why he and Backes got the extra 10s.

Nice effort. Let's see if they can put out two nights in a row. At least Panthers also played tonight.

???

it was a lost puck battle by hornqvist.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
This is borderline trolling. Honest to God. The structure was there tonight. It wasn't similar to DB teams where they went out and spanked some team w/ skill. The forwards were lights out defensively. the defense was bending but not breaking. We out toughed one of the toughest teams in all the league.

What in the ****ing WORLD did you see tonight? Your complaints were fine prior to tonight but tonight is everything we asked for.

The comment has nothing to do with the game and is just pure bait. It is the definition of trolling. This is a game thread.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
Off topic buttt, I'd like to apologize for messing around and pretending to be Bennett. I had no idea it was a rule not to do that. Sorry and It won't happen again.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The top 6 looks respectable now BUT the 3rd line was atrocious tonight. Worse than the 4th. Imagine if we had JORDAN STAAL!....*cues up Staal's music*

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
They either need to trade Bennett or put him in the top six. To be good he needs space to make plays and he won't be able to with Spaling and Sutter. It's just a total waste of his time to have him on that line and it probably hurts the 3rd line too because Downie plays the type of game that works for a 3rd line a lot better than BB. If they think he's not good enough to even get a shot with the top 6 then they might as well get rid of him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I understand one game doesn't change everything, but come on people. Let's give the team credit.

++++ Sidney Crosby: Best game in ages. He played SMART and simple hockey.
++++ Greiss: Admit it. dude played well

I was extremely happy with the forwards playing defense. They were the difference maker in this game. They made every potential odd man rush numbers in our favor. Great job by all the forwards.

Big ups to Hornqvist who reverted back to God w/ Sid.

We looked good. It's day 1 and step 1 in the process. What I saw tonight was definitely sustainable. People cannot ***** in any way about this evening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad