Confirmed with Link: Pens trade for Patric Marleau

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I refuse to believe any Midwest or East city can actually claim to have "good" Mexican food.

I even say that at least Texas is bad at it.

AZ and NM I haven't tried.

Chicago metro has the 5th largest amount of Spanish-speakers in the US. It's a really Hispanic city. :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Hispanic population doesn't mean good food lol

I'll fight anyone on it!

I'm sure the Mexican food there is good...vs the competition there.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Hot take: Mexican food is simple and hard to mess up and therefore you can find good Mexican anywhere

I'm going to caveat this a little bit.

You are right that there is nothing stopping any place from having good Mexican food.

I think the meat and cheese part is pretty easy and tortillas are also pretty easy.

However: salsas and sauces are super important. Both on the chips before you eat and then to enhance whatever piece of deliciousness you're currently eating. I think it's easy to make some sort of pico de gallo or salsa verde or guac or whatever, but good Mexican places have those couple of salsas NAILED DOWN. That is the real differentiator.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Marleau looks like Kyle Chandler and I can't stop seeing it. Reminds me of Early Edition.

Same but he’s Coach Taylor to me.

I'll start a war here, Primanti's isn't actually good and Pittsburghers only think it is good because Pittsburgh food is shit

I pray that they take Marleau to Primanti's and make a whole video out of it just so he says "this is okay I guess", which is the nicest thing anyone should say about primanti's.

Pman is a bar. Don’t think I’ve ever got food from them :laugh:

You are right that there is nothing stopping any place from having good Mexican food.

I think the meat and cheese part is pretty easy and tortillas are also pretty easy.

However: salsas and sauces are super important. Both on the chips before you eat and then to enhance whatever piece of deliciousness you're currently eating. I think it's easy to make some sort of pico de gallo or salsa verde or guac or whatever, but good Mexican places have those couple of salsas NAILED DOWN. That is the real differentiator.

I agree on this.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Hot take: Mexican food is simple and hard to mess up and therefore you can find good Mexican anywhere

I have found this to not be true. While Mexican recipes generally include simple items, it’s not simple cooking and easy to mess up. Also a lot of places use ingredients not generally found in traditional cooking, such as cumin. Additionally taste can be quite different as the freshness of ingredients and where they are sourced from changes the taste a fair bit. Examples: tomatillos, avocados, citrus, cactus and different types of chilies

Credentials: partner is Mexican, been there numerous times, went to culinary school, worked in the industry for years

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I have found this to not be true. While Mexican recipes generally include simple items, it’s not simple cooking and easy to mess up. Also a lot of places use ingredients not generally found in traditional cooking, such as cumin. Additionally taste can be quite different as the freshness of ingredients and where they are sourced from changes the taste a fair bit. Examples: tomatillos, avocados, citrus, cactus and different types of chilies

Credentials: partner is Mexican, been there numerous times, went to culinary school, worked in the industry for years

Insightful stuff.

I thought cumin was universal in Mexican food?

Also, great point on tomatillos. They are unfortunately quite expensive in Pittsburgh but they really change the taste profile of a lot of sauces. I love 'em. I haven't actually gotten around to trying cactus...uh, meat? Whatever the cactus stuff is.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Insightful stuff.

Also, great point on tomatillos. They are unfortunately quite expensive in Pittsburgh but they really change the taste profile of a lot of sauces. I love 'em. I haven't actually gotten around to trying cactus...uh, meat? Whatever the cactus stuff is.
Cumin is Indian food

Reactions: Watson Bugsy

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I refuse to believe any Midwest or East city can actually claim to have "good" Mexican food.

California taquerias are so damn good.

I even say that at least Texas is bad at it.

AZ and NM I haven't tried.
The best Mexican food is from Mexico.
Then California.

Then everything else.

Reactions: EightyOne

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

No, the meat is way, way different at an actual taqueria. Most places on the east coast don't even have pastor, and if they do, it's surely not marinated along with pineapple like it's supposed to.

Reactions: EightyOne

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
No, the meat is way, way different at an actual taqueria. Most places on the east coast don't even have pastor, and if they do, it's surely not marinated along with pineapple like it's supposed to.

Last Palmas here has Pastor. No idea on the pineapple part, though. I generally don't like mixing sweet & salty so I eschew pineapples with meat when possible.

Plus IDK, I've always preferred beef/steak to pork.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Insightful stuff.

Cumin is more of a border ingredient, mostly found in tex mex.

Tomatillos are great and valsa verde is my personal favourite due to the tartness of it. Its pretty easy to find up here in Toronto, either as an import or grown locally, but the taste is never as good. My partner and I make different sauces weekly as we use it with everything. In terms of cheaper, canned works as well when its not in season. It can produce pretty good results by draining it, adding cilantro, jalepenos(or green chilies), onion and salt. Roasting the peppers first until the skin is charred and then skinning it really bumps up the quality. By the end of the week, we tend to water down the salsa and make chilaquilles for breakfest on the weekend. Fried eggs, with sour cream, onions, cilantro and cheese on top of a bed of tortillas(chips are fine) smothered in salsa.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I was in Mexico and asked for queso and got some weird/nasty stuff. Same thing happened in Germany with beer cheese. Point being you might not want authentic :laugh:

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
I was in Mexico and asked for queso and got some weird/nasty stuff. Same thing happened in Germany with beer cheese. Point being you might not want authentic :laugh:

queso = cheese

Were you looking for chile con queso(cheese sauce)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad