Confirmed with Link: Pens trade 1st (No. 31) + Oskar Sundqvist for Ryan Reaves and Blues 2nd (No. 51)|Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Russia's tough to scout in a lot of ways because the travel times are insane for teams, and the Russian clubs are VERY protective of their promising players.

If you don't have the resources to have a dedicated Russian scout, it makes sense to scout the other Central European and Scandinavian leagues more heavily IMO.

Yep. Malkin could write a book on his adventure getting to the Penguins.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Sure seemed after the draft interview with JR that they were set on Lauzon regardless. Kostin may have never even been on their radar.

This is why I find it kinda dumb comparing players who were products of picks that were traded. It assumes that you would pick the same player as the team you traded the pick to.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Who cares if he's willing to play in the AHL? How does that willingness make him a better prospect or closer to the NHL?

I took it to mean that he doesn't have the "NHL or stay in Russia/KHL" mindset that seems to be prevalent with newly drafted Russians. Removes the risk of them staying there.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Reaves is a plug. Sundqvist + no. 31 for Reaves and no.51? Don't know much about Sundqvist. Sounds like a waste of a 1st.

Time will tell what that 31 could have been

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Reaves is a plug. Sundqvist + no. 31 for Reaves and no.51? Don't know much about Sundqvist. Sounds like a waste of a 1st.

Well, GMJR saw what was available at 31 and said "No thank you, I prefer Reaves".

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm a fan of the deal. I watch St. Louis a decent amount and I like Reaves' game. He is faster than anyone gives him credit for and he wins most of his battles. Not gonna put the puck in the net a lot but he's not a giant liability either.

Let's face it, Sundqvist wasn't making this team. Every training camp I saw him in, he didn't seem to fit the identity. Reaves is an NHL-caliber player and Sundy isn't. Not for this team at least.

In reality, we got the better guy (or better fit) and we dropped 20 spots, and I'm guessing we STILL got the guy we would have drafted all along. No harm, no foul.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Well, GMJR saw what was available at 31 and said "No thank you, I prefer Reaves".

Yeah based on Randy Sexton's info so Buffalo could take him at #37. Marcus Davidsson will be a beast, collusion, book it.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Was it a bad deal.
For me yes. You don't involve 1st round picks for 4th liners, period. 1 year left too no less.
But Jim obviously thought it was a serious matter to address so I'm not going to loose sleep over it. I just hope Reeves can be somewhat useful in the playoffs and not a complete waste of space.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would say Pechursky ... Zlobin were already in the QMJHL and Pavlychev has been in the US for years before been drafted.

Russia's tough to scout in a lot of ways because the travel times are insane for teams, and the Russian clubs are VERY protective of their promising players.

If you don't have the resources to have a dedicated Russian scout, it makes sense to scout the other Central European and Scandinavian leagues more heavily IMO.

So, based on this, we probably shouldn't expect the Pens to be in on any Russians anytime soon?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Was it a bad deal.
For me yes. You don't involve 1st round picks for 4th liners, period. 1 year left too no less.
But Jim obviously thought it was a serious matter to address so I'm not going to loose sleep over it. I just hope Reeves can be somewhat useful in the playoffs and not a complete waste of space.

Someone please tell me why a first round pick, even if it's the very last one, is too sacred to trade into the second round.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008

You don't know much about Sundqvist huh? It sounds like you don't know much about Reaves either. Why don't you share something you do know with us?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I think we've exhausted ourselves with talk about the trade. You can go to the roster building thread if you really want to talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad