Confirmed with Link: Pens trade 1st (No. 31) + Oskar Sundqvist for Ryan Reaves and Blues 2nd (No. 51)|Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
So, as much as I have been arguing on the good trade side, I do have one issue with this deal. Penalty Killing.
We now have the following regulars that didn't kill penalties last year-
Sid
Sheary
Guentzel
Malkin
Kessel
Hornqvist
Wilson
Reaves

That leaves Rust, Hagelin, Rowney, and a new center or Bones. That is incredibly thin.

HCMT used to use Malkin to kill penalties. Sid has been a good defensive player at times in his career, and he is usually good at faceoffs.

I remember that Lemieux killed penalties throughout his career. I think having a star on the PK makes the defense back way off and makes it a lot harder for them to hold the zone. Or they just give up a bunch of shorthanded breakaways. I don't understand why the team doesn't use Crosby and Malkin this way.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I know Reaves didn't kill penalties really in St. Louis, but he is a decent skater for his size and could be strong in puck battles. Is it a possibility they would try him on the PK here? Honest question and not really sure what the answer is.

Erz8771

Aug 2, 2007
T.Bay
I know Reaves didn't kill penalties really in St. Louis, but he is a decent skater for his size and could be strong in puck battles. Is it a possibility they would try him on the PK here? Honest question and not really sure what the answer is.

Valid point. Pk can be taught.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON

Yea, somethings got to give. Sheary, Wilson, Reaves. Somebody needs to do it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No, we traded for him on some phantom concept that a tough guy will end shots against Sid and Geno whereas we have tons of evidence to the contrary during the years where we employed some or all of Godard, Rupp, Asham, and Engelland. :laugh:

Again, as an enforcer, I don't think Reaves does a damn thing to deter/prevent the cheap shots. I will never be able to honestly believe in that based on the way we saw Sid and Geno still catching **** with tough guys in the lineup. But if Reaves is as good a 4th liner as people (who have watched him and know much more about him than I do) think he is, and he's as effective on the forecheck and in the hitting dept., so be it. Still a steep price to pay for a 4th liner, any 4th liner, but it is what it is.

The odds of a guy panning out at 31 vs 51 might not be a stark difference, but I don't agree with the thought that removing 20 more players from our draft board isn't a big deal in a draft where, so I keep hearing, there is talent beyond the usual top-10 picks.

The Pens got one of the best fourth liners in the league, who will wreck people on the forecheck and be a tank on the boards. He's also very responsible on the ice and backchecks like a fiend.

The fact he can beat the **** out of people is a big bonus. Instead of having Wilson, Cole and yes, Malkin, fighting people, Reaves will step in and put guys to sleep.

He won't put a complete end to cheap shots on Crosby and Malkin, you have to be quite naive to believe that. However, games like the Winnipeg disaster where Malkin had to be the Pens tough guy, won't be happening anymore. Guys like Wilson and Dubinsky will be held accountable as well. That doesn't mean they won't try to be stupid, because they will. But it won't keep going on all game long while the Pens only option is to have Malkin go hulk mode...

ETL

Jun 16, 2009
I cannot believe all the "sky is falling" posts because of Oscar Sundquist.

Oscar Sundquist? Seriously? Oscar?

Come on people. Stop validating other fans complaints about how "whiny" the Pens fans are.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really do trust Sully to get Reaves to buy in to how he wants this team to react. Honestly, I'm not even sure it's something he'll need to be convinced of. He doesn't seem like some dumb agitator or goon at all the more I read about him. I do not expect Reaves to be running around like an idiot. I expect him to step in when appropriate in terms of fighting. Otherwise, I expect him to be a very physical 4th liner who can skate, can cycle the puck, and can be trusted to start shifts in the defensive end while finishing them in the offensive end. I expect him to be what Carter Rowney was against Ottawa, but bigger, stronger, and faster.

If Sully can't get him to do that, I won't be happy with the pick-up. We don't need a guy running around like an idiot. But I haven't heard one thing from anybody who knows anything about this guy who thinks that will be a problem.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
are you sure??

I was sincerely hoping I drank something bad last night and it was all a nightmare, but alas.

I don't appreciate it when my favorite team attempts to make a hypocrite out of me. I want players like Tom Wilson out of the ****ing game, not for us to get someone all too willing to stoop to his level.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I cannot believe all the "sky is falling" posts because of Oscar Sundquist.

Oscar Sundquist? Seriously? Oscar?

Come on people. Stop validating other fans complaints about how "whiny" the Pens fans are.

It's not about that (for me anyway) it's about what else we could have got for those assets. Not long ago that brought back a top 6 forward in Perron for us. Now it's a 4th liner and pick 51.

He didn't work out in the end but when we got him he was a very good player (and it turned into Hagelin eventually)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
PKing isn't a tough thing to teach. I'm not really all that concerned with it, if he can skate like people can say, he'll be a fine PKer.

All I'm hoping from him is 10 goals and 20-25 points while hitting a ton. Put up a similar stat line to what Kuhnhackl was on pace for.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This trade symbolizes everything a team like the Penguins can do wrong. Reaves sucks. I watched him play half dozen times live this year. Rutherford took a team and a philosophy which just managed to win back to back cups and instead we've returned to the dark ages.

If there was a guy who could hit, fight, and play go get him. Reaves isn't that guy. Just sign a bum like downie.

Instead you give up quality assets for another bum.

Oh, who is gonna play center on this club.

Just a godawful ****ing trade. That a boy Jim.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just read what must be 20 pages since last night...I like the evolution of thoughts since the pick is announced. seems like people just like to moan, but then realized well maybe the other guys got something going here...

anyways, this is a very good pick, I have been proponent big time proponent of our new identity, speed etc... and this just enhances that...

2016 we won the Cup with f...... Fehr and Kuhn on fourth line, slow as mollasa, can't push anyone down, this year we had fourth line that was so pedestrian, could not get out of our zone if the life depends. Now we got a guy who is a puck hound, fast, mean and strong, and people complain...If he is paired with a guy like Cullen, a skilled fourth line center, and another speedster with a little bit of hands (Archie) that line will be GREAT, best fourth line we have had.

A lot of people kept complaining about narrative that he is somekind of goon that will be there to jump the gloves and just kept going on and on about that...he is everything but that. For all accounts very inteligent hockeu player that draws penalties, and big punisher that can GET TO Niskannen or Werenski just in time to make them feel it couple of time ....

Please that guy for non-descript, vanila guy like Sunny...its a steal in my book...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was sincerely hoping I drank something bad last night and it was all a nightmare, but alas.

I don't appreciate it when my favorite team attempts to make a hypocrite out of me. I want players like Tom Wilson out of the ****ing game, not for us to get someone all too willing to stoop to his level.

I really don't think Tom Wilson is a very good comparable. Wilson is an idiot. He runs around and stirs **** up. Reaves finishes **** that others stir up. A very simple example of the difference is their PIM distribution. Wilson had 133 PIM last year. 66 of those were from minor penalties. Reaves had 104 PIM last year. 34 of those were from minor penalties.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
HCMT used to use Malkin to kill penalties. Sid has been a good defensive player at times in his career, and he is usually good at faceoffs.

I remember that Lemieux killed penalties throughout his career. I think having a star on the PK makes the defense back way off and makes it a lot harder for them to hold the zone. Or they just give up a bunch of shorthanded breakaways. I don't understand why the team doesn't use Crosby and Malkin this way.

Can't do this anymore because of the block shots strategy. Back then people played the game of hockey. Now, you all cram down and block shooting angles.

Can't have Malkin or Crosby taking pucks off of the brogans

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
More I think about it the more I like the trade. Think a lot of people will change their tune when after they watch him play.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I really don't think Tom Wilson is a great comparable. Wilson is an idiot. He runs around and stirs **** up. Reaves finishes **** that others stir up. A very simple example of the difference is their PIM distribution. Wilson had 133 PIM last year. 66 of those were from minor penalties. Reaves had 104 PIM last year. 34 of those were from minor penalties.

Reaves is definitely a better player than Wilson and less slimy, there's no doubt about that.

Don't care, still hate it. This feels like pandering to Sid to make up for losing Fleury. If this is the Sid tax, then...sigh, whatever. It shouldn't have cost half as much to get a mediocre fourth liner, though.

Also I get a little chuckle about how quickly this place went from high on Sundqvist to being completely okay to using him as a throw-in in a deal where even if it was just trading down 20 spots the value would be trash. Don't see him in the future plans? Get a late 2nd rounder for him, don't just give him away.

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
About what? You're really upset for a late late 1st?

:laugh: Hell no. About who we should of picked, do the Pens really need a goon, how good Reaves actually is... yadda yadda yadda...

It's just surprising to see how bent out of shape people are about getting a good fourth line role player, trading down a few picks, and shipping out a worthless prospect.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Don't care, still hate it. This feels like pandering to Sid to make up for losing Fleury. If this is the Sid tax, then...sigh, whatever. It shouldn't have cost half as much to get a mediocre fourth liner, though.

lLH7667.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad