Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Sergei Gonchar to PTO

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I see nothing wrong if it was to see if he could win a job/retire a Penguin.

I also don't see a problem having him as a backup plan should the top 4 take a huge hit again. At least Gonch wouldn't be over his head because he never played there before. The older/declining part not withstanding.

Imagine both Maatta and Letang out?

Dumoulin, Cole
Pouliot, Lovejoy
Erixon, Scuderi

compared to:

Pouliot, Cole
Dumoulin, Gonchar
Erixon, Lovejoy

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Would burying Scuderi in the AHL and signing Gonchar for league minimum be a step forward, a step backwards or a step sideways? I think I'm leaning towards a very slight step forwards.

Like a tenth of a step forward as long as Gonchar would be a #7/8. I'll put up with a lot to have them move on from Scuderi, but Gonchar being a regular isn't one of those things. Moving on from Scuderi and having a crappy vet be the #7/8 is an improvement, at least in the sense that they're assessing players properly and reacting fairly well. Even if they're still signing a player they shouldn't.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Sarge is a slow starter. I expect he'll look better tonight than he did on Tuesday. With that said, I'd be surprised if the Pens did not sign him, no matter how he plays.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
As much as we all ***** about the idea of the Pens signing Gonch, this is way more the type of gripe I'd rather have than deciding which 4th liner should flank Sid and Geno. #firstworldproblems

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As much as we all ***** about the idea of the Pens signing Gonch, this is way more the type of gripe I'd rather have than deciding which 4th liner should flank Sid and Geno. #firstworldproblems

Amen. Amen! AMEN!

Look at the discussions now about whether or not keep Perron...jeez!!!

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Amen. Amen! AMEN!

Look at the discussions now about whether or not keep Perron...jeez!!!

For a tremendous return, I'd consider it. That basically goes without saying for any player on the team not name Crosby or Malkin. But since most of the people wanting to trade him start off with, "Perron sucks, we got fleeced by Edmonton (of all places)" I generally recuse myself from the discussion. I don't think we should sign Gonchar at all, unless he's taking Scuderi's spot, but I can deal with this level of roster management inefficiency. Not seeing the likes of Adams and Gibbons and Comrie in the top six already has me giddy, ya know?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sarge needs to gracefully retire. I don't want to see him go down the road he is trying head down right now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Gonchar has been going down this road for a few years now, but this is getting on the highway. It's over and it's been over.

Dear god don't let a guy who still won't walk away talk to Dupuis.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Hang up the skates and grab a suit, Gonch. You can't play anymore, but you can sure as Hell stick around to coach/mentor Letang, Maatta, Pouliot and Dumo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad