Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Sergei Gonchar to PTO

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If I were Gonchar I wouldn't wanna play in the AHL and I wouldn't sign for less than a million. For the money he's made in his career any less probably wouldn't be worth it.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
If I were Gonchar I wouldn't wanna play in the AHL and I wouldn't sign for less than a million. For the money he's made in his career any less probably wouldn't be worth it.
Doesn't that mean it's more likely that he'd accept less, as long as it's a 1 way deal? At this point in his career, he's gotta just be hoping he's got what it takes to still play in the NHL, and for the Pens.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Doesn't that mean it's more likely that he'd accept less, as long as it's a 1 way deal? At this point in his career, he's gotta just be hoping he's got what it takes to still play in the NHL, and for the Pens.

Another incentive would be that a Pens-friendly contract would help him land an off-ice job afterwards.

You hearing that Tocchet? :nod:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sarge never struck me as a guy who wanted to be a coach or something like that.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Soooo... Scored a goal but was -3 in a 7-3 game. I didn't see the game or all the highlights.

Pens twitter has each goal for Pens. Think that's all...nhl.com still has nothing because the stream was **** and CBJ site could only upload the 1st period because the stream was ****.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah he wasn't good last night. He wasn't Scuderi level bad, but he wasn't much better. He actually contributed while sucking ass defensively instead of doing nothing and sucking ass defensively.

:laugh:

I didn't get to watch the game but that sounds about right.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
if we want an elderly 7th d that can't play defense, gonch is the obvious choice

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Gonchar would improve and help the pp, but that's about it. He still the same guy who creates turnovers and isn't physical. If he is signed, than Scuderi must be gone

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Gonchar would improve and help the pp, but that's about it. He still the same guy who creates turnovers and isn't physical. If he is signed, than Scuderi must be gone

Right but there is no way Gonchar is getting top PP minutes over Letang and Pouliot should be on the 2nd PP. I don't really see a role for him here.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i got chills last night watching gonchar on the pp. i am all about moving on from loser vets, and i wasnt even a particularly huge fan of gonchar when he was here but he has a soft place in my heart.

now that i think of it, its probably because the memory of gonchar never really had a chance to be sullied in the same way thats happened with guys like fleury, kunitz, dupuis, adams, etc. sort of sad how our heroes from 2009 can become such goats.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Jesus...sweet baby Jesus. Against basically an AHL Carolina team. In the pre-season.

I dunno. That's bad. That goes very much against the adv stats doctrine we've seen the organization shift towards. Yes it's only one game and in the pre season...but we have young kids that can do better than that.

I think it's a Scuds vs Gonch...and as horrific as it sounds, Scuds may win that...

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
From what I noticed at the game last night:
Gonchar kept screening Fleury instead of boxing out opposing players. I'm pretty sure the first goal against even bounced off Gonchar to deflect into the net... So that was bad.

On the power-play, though, man, he was a sight to see. Excellent anticipation of where the puck would be so he was able to keep the puck in the zone more, and his ability to move the puck to a teammate's stick (and not to an opponents') was still as good as ever.

As others have said, I'd rather the team hired him as some sort of power play consultant instead of as a defenseman. Failing that, if they could unload Scuderi, keep Gonchar as a 7th/8th defensemen, and only dress him when the power play needs a boost... and dress 7 D on those nights so that Gonchar only needs to come off the bench when they have the man-advantage. Let's just say that I'd prefer he was signed solely for an off-ice role. Vastly prefer it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, Sarge had a rough night last night.

I think it feels good seeing 55 out there because it brings back those years where we were running to the Cup. He's wayyy over the hill though, and he's Melichar'ing Dumoulin.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
i got chills last night watching gonchar on the pp. i am all about moving on from loser vets, and i wasnt even a particularly huge fan of gonchar when he was here but he has a soft place in my heart.

now that i think of it, its probably because the memory of gonchar never really had a chance to be sullied in the same way thats happened with guys like fleury, kunitz, dupuis, adams, etc. sort of sad how our heroes from 2009 can become such goats.

Yep, I've said that about Orpik specifically for a while, but also Scuderi now. I wish I didn't have to watch them so much after their declines. I think my opinion of Orpik has already largely recovered, but Scuderi may be tarnished for good. I'm hoping Kunitz is moved soon too.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't know if I have that kind of nostalgia for Gonchar right now. We saw him at his peak, and I'm thankful. But 2010 against the Habs soured him for me, and then after embarrassing him as a Senator, I certainly never wanted him back. It doesn't really strike me as a surreal bit of closure to see #55 on the bench like it did when, say, Kevin Stevens or Rob Brown came back. I just see it as an unwise roster move.

Loved Gonchar, but after Scuderi, I'm just not in the mood for this kind of comeback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad