Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Sergei Gonchar to PTO

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know if I have that kind of nostalgia for Gonchar right now. We saw him at his peak, and I'm thankful. But 2010 against the Habs soured him for me, and then after embarrassing him as a Senator, I certainly never wanted him back. It doesn't really strike me as a surreal bit of closure to see #55 on the bench like it did when, say, Kevin Stevens or Rob Brown came back. I just see it as an unwise roster move.

Loved Gonchar, but after Scuderi, I'm just not in the mood for this kind of comeback.

I would say every organization has 1 or 2 guys they just can't get rid of. Detroit has one of the more hilarious ones.... but so did the Pens. I can't remember one working very well. An ole folk hero coming back to town...

Anyone off the top of their head think of one that actually worked?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd say neither. But I'll take the guy who will make league minimum. Not several million.

Yes. Neither, but if it's one take the overall cheaper option. As long as Gonchar is making less than Scuderi, less than Scuderi's cap hit in the AHL + Gonchar or less than Scuderi's retained salary + Gonchar, you go with Gonchar. But really, neither would be great because Gonchar has been done for awhile now.

Maatta-Letang
Dumoulin-Cole
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Andersen, Clendening

No need for old crap and nostalgia of the good old days.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I could definitely live with Gonch on the roster if it means no Scuderi in the lineup. Gonch can at least help mentor since he was an elite QB at his peak, seems like an ideal situation for Pouliot.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
If you asked me right now with a gun to my head Scuderi or Gonchar... I'd say Scuderi.

Well the obvious answer, as others have said, is neither. But if I'm forced to pick I go with Gonch. He'd be cheaper and he's more suited to what MJ wants out of his dmen. Plus, for whatever it's worth, I think he has value in the locker room, at practice as a "mentor" and it seems like it means a lot to the core guys to have him around.

Do I want him playing in big situations? Definitely not. But at least he brings something that can be viewed as a positive. Scuderi brings absolutely nothing. He's not even good in his own end anymore and his price tag is actually embarrassing for the organization.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well the obvious answer, as others have said, is neither. But if I'm forced to pick I go with Gonch. He'd be cheaper and he's more suited to what MJ wants out of his dmen. Plus, for whatever it's worth, I think he has value in the locker room, at practice as a "mentor" and it seems like it means a lot to the core guys to have him around.

Do I want him playing in big situations? Definitely not. But at least he brings something that can be viewed as a positive. Scuderi brings absolutely nothing. He's not even good in his own end anymore and his price tag is actually embarrassing for the organization.

Care to say why? At least Gonchar can contribute offensively while sucking defensively. What can Scuderi do?

The true answer most definitely is neither.

The whole mentor and things people want to see with Sarge are overblown. The guy is worse on defense than Scuderi. We do need to be able to get out of our own end and Gonchar struggled against a second rate Carolina team.

It was only one game, but #55 is playing for his career at this point. If that was a man playing for his career, then we are in deep trouble. Gonchar couldn't hang with a B Team of Carolina. His outlet passes were not strong. His defense was awful. The only thing he did was look extremely poised on the powerplay, which is a role he will not even come close to touching. Tangers, Maatta, Pouliot will have those roles. So in the end, he really doesn't bring anything to this team except slowness, age, and memories of what he used to be.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't want Gonchar because that's just more competition (wrongfully so) for Pouliot.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
The true answer most definitely is neither.

The whole mentor and things people want to see with Sarge are overblown. The guy is worse on defense than Scuderi. We do need to be able to get out of our own end and Gonchar struggled against a second rate Carolina team.

It was only one game, but #55 is playing for his career at this point. If that was a man playing for his career, then we are in deep trouble. Gonchar couldn't hang with a B Team of Carolina. His outlet passes were not strong. His defense was awful. The only thing he did was look extremely poised on the powerplay, which is a role he will not even come close to touching. Tangers, Maatta, Pouliot will have those roles. So in the end, he really doesn't bring anything to this team except slowness, age, and memories of what he used to be.
But this exact same thing could be said about Scuderi. The only difference is that he is complete garbage with the puck(which flies in the face of what MJ wants from his dmen group) and he costs a lot more.

I totally get not wanting either of them but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would take Scuderi and his insane cap hit in a head-to-head choice. One guy genuinely hurts the team by tying up cap space and the other is essentially harmless if you stash him in the press box most nights.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There is absolutely no reason to keep Gonchar. Sadly, we may be stuck with Scuds. But there shouldn't be any either/or decision for management between the two. It should be Scuds or neither. And the only deciding factor should be finding someone to take Scuds.

Signing Gonchar right now would be a worse sign to me than keeping Scuds because it would be this management actively deciding to add Gonchar vs simply being stuck with Shero's mistake in Scuderi.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
But this exact same thing could be said about Scuderi. The only difference is that he is complete garbage with the puck(which flies in the face of what MJ wants from his dmen group) and he costs a lot more.

I totally get not wanting either of them but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would take Scuderi and his insane cap hit in a head-to-head choice. One guy genuinely hurts the team by tying up cap space and the other is essentially harmless if you stash him in the press box most nights.

Listen... whether we like it or not, Scuds is on the team. Adding Sarge is pointless. We all want Scuds out of Pittsburgh. It's the only final piece we need out (pun intended).

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Listen... whether we like it or not, Scuds is on the team. Adding Sarge is pointless. We all want Scuds out of Pittsburgh. It's the only final piece we need out (pun intended).

Right, I get that. I don't want either of them on the roster. But your post specifically said that if it came down to a choice between the two, you'd take Scuderi. I don't really see the logic in that. If they're both useless then surely the far cheaper useless guy is better, no?

Obviously this won't actually come down to a choice because Scuderi likely isn't going anywhere. But purely as a hypothetical, it seems like an easy call to me.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In the scenario, it was just exaggeration. If it was 1 year for the same price - I take Scuds over Gonchar. But all of these scenarios do not exist.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
His first game didn't look great. If he makes the team, it will be as an 8th. He can't log more than 8 mins a night.

Last edited:

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
The best thing that could come from this tryout is he sees he can no longer play in the nhl and takes a coaching job with the Pens. Can't believe I'm saying it but contracts aside Scuderi is better overall. I feel disgusting now. I'd prefer to see Gonch take a coaching gig and Scuderi shot into the sun. Give the young guys a shot instead.

MadSnowman42

Jul 23, 2015
I would say every organization has 1 or 2 guys they just can't get rid of. Detroit has one of the more hilarious ones.... but so did the Pens. I can't remember one working very well. An ole folk hero coming back to town...

Anyone off the top of their head think of one that actually worked?
Selänne's second tour with the Ducks?

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I don't want to sign him. We don't need him. We have playmaking possession dmen in Letang, Maatta and Pouliot. It would be a step backward when we are supposed to be finally taking a step forward and handing passing the torch.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would burying Scuderi in the AHL and signing Gonchar for league minimum be a step forward, a step backwards or a step sideways? I think I'm leaning towards a very slight step forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad