Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Sergei Gonchar to PTO

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I wonder if this is to retire as a Penguin...

Seems to be an odd choice as I don't see him making the team. Boy, he could really show Pouliot a thing or two though.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
He's not even signed lol

Exactly. Like I said in the other thread if the intent is to let him hang around the team, mentor Pouliot and help ease Plotnikov's transition (like he's done for Malkin and Nichushkin) then it's a cool thing to do. If they genuinely are giving him a chance to make the roster, that's different.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
LOL he isn't great, but even using him as a Scuds replacement is a plus and he will instantly be the best PP qb we have. I'm looking forward to possibly seeing him walk the blue line and rip a signature shot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Errrr... OK. That's cool, I guess.

It'll be nice to have him around the team in camp. Show some of the young guys the ropes. Maybe teach that numbskull Tocchet a thing or two about what a powerplay is supposed to do. Comfort Geno while he sits out all of camp, preseason and early season with an inevitable injury. Etc.

That's about the only upside I can see here. He's pretty well cooked. Or at least hiding any remaining ability very, very well.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Like I said I wouldn't mind him at all as a #7. He can fill in nicely when needed and with Letang and Maatta coming off injured years you just never know. Good for the younger players and he was already a leader here in previous year, I'm sure Geno would be dam happy!

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Gonchar wouldn't help this team much with his play on the ice, but i think he could help the team with his leadership.

I think Gonchar will end up getting a contract unless hes absolutely awful in camp, I'm sure JR already knows Gonchar isn't any good anymore, if JR signs him it will be for his leadership.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Whatever I guess. He just better not be be given the customary veteran treatment like they are so apt to do sometimes. We'll see... If they end up offering him an actual contract, it'll be then that I justifiably flip out.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I assume this is so he can retire a Penguin. It's way too early in the summer for try-outs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad