Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Murray to 3yr contract extension (3.75mil AAV)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
But as a goalie, you know when the guy at the other end is playing well and it's up to you to match him save for save. There's that much more pressure to perform and that much less room for error. They don't call it a goaltender's duel for nothing.

Yes. But what Holtby faced compared to what Murray faced are on two different levels.

Holtby had to worry about 4 lines deep. They could all score.
Murray had to worry about 1-1/2 maybe 2 lines deep.

There is a depth disparity severely in play.

I wouldn't call that on equal terms. Holtby's face spoke to it as the series went on. He didn't get a break when line 3 or 4 came out for the Pens.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't get your point here?

They were still average, and Fleury's stuff back then is outdated when they were no where near capable as this past team in quality of its team.

.926 SV% against the 2nd highest scoring team in the league is average?

The fact that we had a 36 year old back-up come in with that same "incapable" team and win as many rounds in 1 playoff run as Fleury did in 7 years is a pretty good indication that MAF's problems weren't on account of the team.

Then there is the difference of scoring on the rise at its peak to now the scoring being much lower. 09 to 16, that's 7 years and closer to a decade.

How much more outdated can you be?

Do you believe a 7 year gap softens the difference between an .878 SV% and a .926 SV%?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If a goalie has a good game (or a bad game), the quality of the other goalie doesn't change that. If Fleury gives up 2 goals on 30 shots, he gives up 2 goals on 30 shots whether the other goalie let in 5 on 25 or 0 on 50.

Since there's no metric to measure how goaltending duel pressure affects goalies, I'm just gonna skip the carousel and drop this. :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
.926 SV% against the 2nd highest scoring team in the league is average?

The fact that we had a 36 year old back-up come in with that same "incapable" team and win as many rounds in 1 playoff run as Fleury did in 7 years is a pretty good indication that MAF's problems weren't on account of the team.

And that same team still had issues during and got knocked out due to not keeping themselves collected.

Your point? They still went crazy without him and scored 4 goals in the ECF's.

Do you believe a 7 year gap softens the difference between an .878 SV% and a .926 SV%?

That is what I'm talking about. You have to reach back to outdated material.

Here I'll help you out.

Fleury:

2013/14 .915%
2014/15 .927

Murray:

2015/16 .923%

Yeah... I don't think you like using currents.

It's also a disparity in teams qualities, but hey, why let that get in the way.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Here I'll help you out.

Fleury:

2013/14 .915%
2014/15 .927

Murray:

2015/16 .923%

Murray's 923 is over an entire playoffs worth of games. Fleury's 927 is over one five game series. Going by his play historically it's fair to suggest Fleury's numbers would have gone down even had that team gotten past the Rangers.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Murray's 923 is over an entire playoffs worth of games. Fleury's 927 is over one five game series. Going by his play historically it's fair to suggest Fleury's numbers would have gone down even had that team gotten past the Rangers.

That's fine, but going with his in season and playoff season it isn't dropping it to the .800's.

That is more applicable then coming out with what he was using.

He's trying to say Fleury is Fleury of a team needing psychological help back when teams were getting into their heads..

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm not gonna take away anything away from a player who won a Cup with us in 09.

But I have yet to see Fleury outplay an elite goalie in a playoff series given parity among the teams up front. Murray did that against Holtby this past spring. In fact when Ovechkin was asked about what put us over the top against them, he said it wasn't speed, it was Murray.

To add on to this, Fleury has had a higher SV% than the opposing goalie in only one playoff series since 2009, and that was Brian Elliot.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
100% this. I have serious reservations as to whether a MAF led Pens gets the Cup.

No one is trying to take anything away from MAF in 2008 and 2009. He was very good then. He also proved to be a major liability afterwards. Past accomplishments can't cover up current play.

Yup. I think Washington and Tampa's shooters would have picked MAF apart. They exploited MM's high gloves a lot as it was.

The difference with Fleury is that, statistically speaking, he doesn't actually have a weak point like MM's glove was. He can be beat everywhere, but doesn't get beat anywhere consistently. (This was actually broken down and proven with statistics back in the spring)

So the book on MAF is basically generate pressure and try to make him rely on his athleticism instead of technique/positioning, while the book on MM is to go high glove.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I do love how that 5-game series against the Rangers is now the benchmark for defending Fleury. Let's ignore his entire body of work and focus on a 5-game sample size to determine how awesome he is in the playoffs. :laugh:

Jesus, imagine if Zatkoff had only played the one game this year instead of two? Oh my God he's awesome! 2.00 GAA and .946 save percentage! To hell with sample sizes! That second game robbed Zatkoff of being considered the best playoff goalie in Pens history. :sarcasm:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Again, not trying to hate on MAF, but that 2015 series was pretty much us clogging things up and praying to God to win games 2-1. Fleury should have good stats if we're playing that type of game.

The worry with him is when we open things up, how do his numbers compare to Murray. Fleury became pretty average as the season wore on last year.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The whole thing that's missed in this is that fleury has to be unquestionably better than murray. Them being close isn't a reason to think about keeping fleury around.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Again, not trying to hate on MAF, but that 2015 series was pretty much us clogging things up and praying to God to win games 2-1. Fleury should have good stats if we're playing that type of game.

The worry with him is when we open things up, how do his numbers compare to Murray. Fleury became pretty average as the season wore on last year.

It was also, what, ~30 games of that performance under Johnston's turtle and pray system in total? It's all a small sample size. Then he had a concussion, Sullivan changed things and he never looked the same.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Fleury's numbers under Johnston:
2.21 GAA, .927 save%
(53 goals against, 730 shots, 1438 minutes played)

Fleury's numbers under Sullivan:
2.34 GAA, .916 save%
(79 goals against, 935 shots, 2027 minutes played)

So yeah, Fleury's numbers were much better under Johnston's defensive shell system, and returned to his typical average numbers under Sullivan.

In comparison, Murray's totals were 2.00 GAA, .930 save% in the regular season (13 GP) plus 2.08 GAA, .923 save% (21 GP) in playoffs under Sullivan.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I just wish the media would stop mistaking his athleticism with being an elite goalie. He's above average.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Those stats above are probably better suited for the Fleury/Murray thread, but those numbers are actually pretty telling. For as much as people want to say Fleury put up good numbers last year, it's actually that he put up good numbers under Johnston. His numbers under Sullivan were actually pretty mediocre.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Fleury's numbers under Johnston:
2.21 GAA, .927 save%
(53 goals against, 730 shots, 1438 minutes played)

Fleury's numbers under Sullivan:
2.34 GAA, .916 save%
(79 goals against, 935 shots, 2027 minutes played)

So yeah, Fleury's numbers were much better under Johnston's defensive shell system, and returned to his typical average numbers under Sullivan.

Find me a long list of goalies who thrived in a more wide open style of hockey, vs a trap and clog system. You won't.

Cam Talbot is the only other goalie with 5 starts this year. Lots of offensive firepower in Edmonton, not a defensive first system and what has he done?

151 saves on 167 shots for a whopping .904 SV% and 3.32 GAA.

What about Martin Jones over 4 games?

.887 and and 2.79

And here we have Fleury, with no Crosby in front of him, he was missing Letang the past game+, as well as other regular starters at various points and yet has managed a very respectable .920 SV% on on a league leading 160 shots against. And we've had what two or three 5-3 goals against scored on us already? Really hard to blame any goalie for giving up goals in those situations or a few others (like the Montreal game where we left a guy unchecked go right to the front of the net for basically a tap in on a feed from the corner?. Take away goals like that, which are hardly on MAF and he'd be right near the top in the major statistical metrics.

Just as I predicted in the post game thread vs SJ, almost nobody gave a + or shout out to MAF for keeping Pittsburgh alive in a game where he was left out to dry (more than just 1 game as well if we're being honest) by his D and still saved 32 of 34 shots I believe off the top of my head.

I didn't see much praise from opening night when he rebounded tremendously from letting in an early goal, where in a few years past, he probably would have wilted completely. I was at the game and MAF was the main reason we finished the night with 2 points. Anybody claiming different is simply a hater.

Games like Washington (opening night) or last night vs SJ would have been Murray love fests if the latter was in net. Every other goal MAF lets in is some mythical backbreaking affair. I'm not exaggerating, you can go look up old threads and scroll through a million examples. It's absurd the double standard that exists.

And as I said in the game thread and prior times, I'm a massive Murray fan. I've said countless times I firmly believe he is and will be here long term. I bet I'm one of the very few that posts here semi regularly that actually watched Murray more than a handful of times live, in the AHL, because I'm fortunate to live close enough to Wilkes Barre and Hershey to attend a fair amount of games. The kid isn't somebody I saw for the first time late last winter. I've been watching him since he was busting records as a 20 year old in the A.

But I also have been around long enough to remember the Mario/JJ years and then the subsequent ass clown times between those fellas and the arrival of 87. I'm not a MAF apologist or fanboy. I just wish fans would stop being so emotional regarding MAF or at the very least give the guy some damn credit when he actually does positive things for us instead of only bashing him when he doesn't. And recognize that he really was a huge part of the turnaround of this franchise in the mid to late 2000's.

I also find it comical that people ***** about his flopping and more or less unorthodox style. It's what he's largely done his entire career. Maybe some fans here were to young to truly remember him when he first came into the league given that was over a decade ago. But I generally think people, and society in large, have very short term and selective memories. Not just in sports.

His athleticism has been his calling card and he's not far from the time you start seeing the vast majority of goalies lose some of that ability. To be honest, I think he's taking far less risk behind and around the net in general which were huge complaints and rightfully so (I think Bales deserves much credit). His tracking has been spotty in a few games, but he's fighting through that for the most part and really hanging in there in the years from say 2010 through 2013 or so, when the chokes and wilting happened quite regularly.

MAF is not a calm netminder. He never really was. The worst of MAF has long come and gone. We know the series, the years (more so postseasons) where he really was putrid. Pretending that MAF isn't at least an above average to good regular season goalie for long stretches of his career is absurd. Think back to last year. Is anyone going to seriously argue that while the team was a dumpster fire through early December, that MAF wasn't the main reason we weren't literally in ****ing last or second to last in the East?

MAF has never really been "elite". At least not for any long stretch. And I don't see any sane fans saying that.

Many fans hear Steigy and Errey's (or the journalists) constant slobbering of MAF and that seeps into their psyche. Those guys are clouded by their own homerism but also because they're paid to sugar coat crap (especially the TV crews) even if they go way overboard by most standards). Don't let their nonsense skew your judgement.

He is what he is. A guy who will let in some rough goals. He'll make ridiculous moves and make you pull your hair out. But he's still a solid goalie most nights out (with tremendous and putrid performances mixed in) and he's a tremendous presence off th ice by all accounts. Those aren't very debatable, at least in the past 2-3 years, especially when looking at the on ice product.

Right now, of any goalie with at least 3 starts, he's 7th in the league in SV% and he's faced more shots than anyone (many high quality scoring chances too), again on a injury plagued team. Obviously those numbers will be fluid, as we play more games, but he's been quite solid and people should be happy with that.

I'm extremely glad JR kept Flower around. As I said all summer, it didn't stop our GM from locking up Murray and given Murray went down, unfortunately, allowed us to ice a solid starting goalie instead of Mike Condon or a vastly unproven Jarry in the meantime. And it allows us not to have to ice Murray more then he needs to be coming off a very long season for all the Pens. It's why that Players Tribune piece JR wrote about the hardships of being a GM is so telling in a situation like the goalie tandem "mess" :sarcasm: in Pittsburgh right now. Most of the folks here wanted to dump MAF for anything really at the earliest possible moment and didn't stop to think about the ramifications of that decision. It's real easy to sit behind a keyboard and make the right calls.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Find me a long list of goalies who thrived in a more wide open style of hockey, vs a trap and clog system. You won't.

The point is Fleury's numbers didn't just go down a bit, they went from really good numbers (.927 save pct.) to mediocre starter numbers (.916 save pct.) after the coaching change.

So yeah, of course one could expect Fleury's numbers to take a hit going from extremely conservative to more wide open, but not as much as they did. He literally went from "elite" numbers to pretty damn mediocre.

And I don't buy the "no one could put up good numbers in a more wide open system" thing, either, since Matt Murray literally played behind the exact same team/system as Fleury last season, yet put up stellar numbers. He put up 2.00 GAA and .930 save pct. in 13 regular season starts, then 2.08 GAA and .923 save pct. in 21 playoff starts.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The point is Fleury's numbers didn't just go down a bit, they went from really good numbers (.927 save pct.) to mediocre starter numbers (.916 save pct.) after the coaching change.

So yeah, of course one could expect Fleury's numbers to take a hit going from extremely conservative to more wide open, but not as much as they did. He literally went from "elite" numbers to pretty damn mediocre.

And I don't buy the "no one could put up good numbers in a more wide open system" thing, either, since Matt Murray literally played behind the exact same team/system as Fleury last season, yet put up stellar numbers. He put up 2.00 GAA and .930 save pct. in 13 regular season starts, then 2.08 GAA and .923 save pct. in 21 playoff starts.

Yeah, Murray was pretty clearly better than Fleury last year under Sully.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Are you suggesting that the Pens couldn't score against the Bruins because they missed Fleury? :rolleyes:

Here I'll help you out.

Fleury:

2013/14 .915%
2014/15 .927

Murray:

2015/16 .923%

More recent comparisons are fine if you use context. Murray's numbers were for a playoff run all the way to the Finals, and Fleury's '14-'15 SV% was only better because he played in the 1st round against the Rangers.

Murray's '15-'16 SV% against the Rangers: .955

Like I said, a 36 year old back-up managed to perform very well with the exact same team Fleury floundered with. But I forgot, it was his fault the Pens couldn't score because he didn't have the same inspirational force as Fleury.

Listen, I think MAF performed a lot better for us after Bales straightened his head out - a good #1 level. But Murray was better than MAF by any reasonable metric...as a rookie. It shouldn't be a debate.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Listen, I think MAF performed a lot better for us after Bales straightened his head out - a good #1 level. But Murray was better than MAF by any reasonable metric...as a rookie. It shouldn't be a debate.

This is exactly how I feel.

I don't hate Fleury like some here seem to. I think we likely could win with him. But I think Murray is both better and cheaper.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is exactly how I feel.

I don't hate Fleury like some here seem to. I think we likely could win with him. But I think Murray is both better and cheaper.

For me, it's not a question of can we win with Fleury, because we can and he's shown in the past that he can, but more of a question of, we won with Murray and the kid is younger, cheaper, and has proven he's not a flash in the pan. So does the team potentially lose him to keep Fleury for a limited amount of years, or do they keep Murray and potentially have him as long as they've had Fleury for, a luxury most teams in the league move whatever is necessary to be in the same situation.

PS: I totally called Elliot in Calgary, I knew the moment he left the Blues and faced higher percentage of scoring chances that he'd fold like a cheap chair, it cracked me up that the Flames saw him as their guy, now they're stuck in a potential Dallas situation, except in this case Chad Johnson is actually fairly solid and is already out playing Brian's ass. Lmao...feels good to be right.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The margin for error is so slim on a run to the Cup. We only beat Washington in a Game 6 OT and Tampa in a one-goal Game 7.

I wouldn't bet on Fleury being able to hold the fort like Murray did for 16 playoff wins last year or moving forward. The likelihood of him having a brainfart at a critical moment somewhere along the way is just too high, IMO.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The whole thing that's missed in this is that fleury has to be unquestionably better than murray. Them being close isn't a reason to think about keeping fleury around.

This is the salient point. MAF must be demonstrably better than Murray in order for us to get rid of the younger, cheaper player. If you look at goalies performance as they age, they tend to peak between 23 - 27 or so, then begin a long, downward trend. MAF has improved somewhat since Bales, but you can reasonably expect him to continue an increasingly downward trend moving forward. MM is just entering the peak period for tenders, which is perfect for this team.

For a cap-strapped team informed by analytics, there is no question here whatsoever. And any luxury to try to keep them both might be fading rapidly as the org faces the possibility they made a mistake with the Maatta contract, and are now faced with signing both Dumo and another top 3 D man.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00