Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Murray to 3yr contract extension (3.75mil AAV)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Isn't Nuke in the KHL now anyways

Yes, but that's actually a blessing in an expansion year. Nobody's grabbing the guy on Vityaz or w/e.

That said, I haven't seen (or at least haven't noticed) Nuke in a game in about two years. No idea what he's like as a player now and if we'd even want him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Oh, I think it will be Fleury traded also. I'm just not sure it's as cut and dry as some people think.

The 22 versus 32 point has merit. Except, this is about the next 4-5 years (3-4 after this) with Sid/Geno, not what happens in 7-8 years. I think it's a consideration in terms of how they evaluate things.

The 2006 point does not have merit. The organization wasn't dealing with the eventual sunset of the Sid/Geno era then.

As I've said, it's not about how I think it WILL play out in the end. It's about a lack of faith in them to do the right thing where Fleury is concerned.

JR was on the radio this AM, and all he was asked about and all he discussed in relation to this deal is MAF. He said they would cross the expansion draft bridge when it came time, but he also said they had "options" at that time beyond just trading MAF. It doesn't take too much reading between the lines to see that the org is going to be willing to buy him out, and the financials of this deal bear that out.

As Jiggy said above, JR is not going to sign a guy and then cut him loose before he can even play a season on the deal. And you know Sully loves Murray and his calmness back there too.

MAF will probably be traded after the season to someplace he's comfortable going, or failing any suitors, simply bought out and allowed to sign wherever he wants. That's the classy, JR style thing to do.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Nichushkin is doing well so far with CSKA Moscow: 13 GP, 4-6-10. He has missed 11 games, though, not too sure if it's an injury or other.

I would still have massive interest in him, as I would for Denis Gurianov.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Great deal. That keeps him an RFA at the end too, right?

giphy.gif

Bring these back.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Good lord, listening to Yohe's interview on the X.

They act like Murray had little to do with the Cup win. Despite his numbers being far superior to Fleury's in 09.

Honestly, I'm not sure Fleury's really at fault in all of this. How people view him is the problem.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Where would you draw the line? If someone came along and said "we'll give you a conditional 7th round pick for Fleury" knowing that the Pens either have to get rid of Fleury or give Murray away to Vegas, do you do it?

If I let it get to that point, I suppose I'd have to. We can't let Murray go. Finding a good young goalie is a hard thing to do, and we have one. We have to keep him.

But it won't get to that point. JR will trade Fleury (or Murray) long before letting them go to Vegas for nothing. But I do think he'll play a dangerous game of chicken with them both and hang onto them as long as he can. Ultimately I think Fleury will go after the season ends but before the draft. He will probably go to a team needing goaltending like Dallas, and it probably will not be for nearly the return we'd hope, but neither will it be for nothing. Some team will want Fleury bad enough to pay out at least a decent pick or prospect for him, I think.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

They act like Murray had little to do with the Cup win. Despite his numbers being far superior to Fleury's in 09.

Honestly, I'm not sure Fleury's really at fault in all of this. How people view him is the problem.

It's like they're Fleury's parents being impressed by his ****** macaroni art and going on about how the other children can't compare to their special little guy.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Agreed. Yohe has always been naseauting

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It's like they're Fleury's parents being impressed by his ****** macaroni art and going on about how the other children can't compare to their special little guy.

Haha......"macaroni art..."

That's awesome.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Yeah, I'm trying not to take it out on MAF because of the ridiculous love fest but it can be difficult at times. I genuinely like the guy.

I think when it is all said and done, people are going to resent Fleury because of the media and his other blindly loyal fans. It's a shame.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

And some people think I'm nuts for wondering if they might be looking in the end for an excuse to trade Murray. :cry:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Agreed. Yohe has always been naseauting

They won't even entertain the idea that Murray is better right now.

I could understand someone thinking Murray will have ups and downs being a younger goalie, and you'd better have another goalie capable of stepping in and winning you important games if/when that happens.

I just think you're better off investing that money into making your team more of a possession beast, and picking up one of the many capable 1b/2A type of starters out there. Elite teams can win with average goaltending.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They won't even entertain the idea that Murray is better right now.

I could understand someone thinking Murray will have ups and downs being a younger goalie, and you'd better have another goalie capable of stepping in and winning you important games if/when that happens.

I just think you're better off investing that money into making your team more of a possession beast, and picking up one of the many capable 1b/2A type of starters out there. Elite teams can win with average goaltending.

Agreed all around. Fleury has this rep in town that he's an elite franchise future hall of fame goaltender. If you believe that and you know he's only 31, then I get why they wouldn't entertain the idea that Murray is Fleurys equal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed all around. Fleury has this rep in town that he's an elite franchise future hall of fame goaltender. If you believe that and you know he's only 31, then I get why they wouldn't entertain the idea that Murray is Fleurys equal.

Actually, they might do that.

What they won't do, absent overwhelming evidence this year, is entertain that he's Fleury's better.

And, if he isn't Fleury's better in their minds for the next 3-4 years, then it's easier to rationalize trading Murray because the return will be infinitely higher and Fleury won't cost much more under the cap (perhaps nothing if the Pens would have to buyout or retain or pay a more veteran backup to Murray).

I mean, Yohe, Madden . . . they're basically speaking to a thought in parts of the organization that the Pens would've won the cup with Fleury if he hadn't been concussed.

It's a bad nightmare . . . they trade Murray this summer, get a king's ransom, slot Jarry as backup next year, and see one of Jarry or Gustavsson as Fleury's eventual successor.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Both MM and MAF have flaws. Let's not go overboard with MM winning the cup. MM was outplayed by the bolts, caps and sharks goalies. MM only stole two games one against the caps and one with the bolts. Did he lose some, you betcha. The pens won the cup because the pens were better than caps, bolts and sharks. Yes, MM played OK but he wasn't the main factor in winning the cup. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on MM.

are you trying to make it sound like the lighting and caps don't have good goal tending?

if he "only" stole 2 games in the cup run, its still 2 more then MAF ever stole in the 09 cup.

and what about going into NY to start his first ever playoff gamess and allowing just 1 goal?
game 3 was a one goal game the whole way through until we hit an empty netter

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
are you trying to make it sound like the lighting and caps don't have good goal tending?

if he "only" stole 2 games in the cup run, its still 2 more then MAF ever stole in the 09 cup.

and what about going into NY to start his first ever playoff gamess and allowing just 1 goal?
game 3 was a one goal game the whole way through until we hit an empty netter

actually to be honest, MAF stole game 4 of the Flyers series back in 2009, the 3-1 game...

MM stole a couple of Caps games in that series. but 2016 hasn't felt that much of a rollercoaster like 2009...

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Staggy and Errey slobbering and grunting with urgency making sure that we all know Fleury is #1 when mentioning Murray's extension during the game. Maybe in 3 years he'll be the starter, according to them. I don't think I could go 3 more years listening to them explain why every goal wasn't Fleury's fault. I'm back to using the other teams feeds on NHL.tv.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Staggy and Errey slobbering and grunting with urgency making sure that we all know Fleury is #1 when mentioning Murray's extension during the game. Maybe in 3 years he'll be the starter, according to them. I don't think I could go 3 more years listening to them explain why every goal wasn't Fleury's fault. I'm back to using the other teams feeds on NHL.tv.

That and hearing how the Pens are a high class organization at least 50 times per broadcast really do start to wear on me.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
does an unconcussed fleury win the cup? id say yes, we still wouldve. but thats besides the point, the fact is murray is much younger, cheaper and better. its an easy choice. anyone who thinks otherwise is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad