Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Mark Jankowski

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Mark Jankowski is the most disappointing thing since my son.

The only way Calgary could’ve screwed up the Jankowski pick any more was if they’d taken a set of f***ing bagpipes 21st overall.

Remember kids, nothing says despair so well as the skirl of a bagpipe.

I don't like this, i love it

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I don't mind this, hopefully that was just his worst year instead of turning into Sheahan. Guessing he bounces back with a 15 goal season.

I think Sheahan actually ends up doing well with us that year and after if we never would have traded for Brassard at that deadline. Since we also got rid of Reaves and Cole in that trade...two guys who were involved in a lot of Riley's scoring that season. He had 11g 31 a in the 70 games with us. That wasnt bad at all considering the situation he was in with the Wings.

I think our expectations were too high since that was the year after Bonino. But 11g 30a in 70 games for our 3C now? We would all take that. Weird how at the time it seemed like we desperately needed to upgrade on that. All about expectations I guess. Anyway he still got 1g 3a in those playoffs but like I said....getting rid of Reaves/Cole and adding Brass who did nothing for us really messed our bottom 6 up.

And we have been paying for that ever since.

As for Jankowski, I can see 20g or close to it and +30 assists. McCann will have his breakout season imo since he can now just focus on playing. He doesnt have to worry about being our saviour at Center. Wont be shuffled all around the lineup. And he is now settled in as opposed to before with us being his 3rd team in his short career. So that will help Jankowski settle in here nicely.

I kind of like that both McCann and Jankowski have something to prove. Every year we see players breakout around the league, Im predicting these 2 will do that for us. We could have Poulin on the other side or even Tanev. Who would work well with those 2. Blueger could have Poulin with Sceviour/Erod/Laff rotating. Thats if we are planning on playing him this year.

I say he should at least get half of a season in so he gets some experience and we get a good look at what he is capable of. Wouldnt expect him to be great right away but you look for flashes of that in a young player. If he can play 30 or so games then polish his game in AHL....we could have another Guentzel/Rust type impact in playoffs from a rookie. Its been awhile since we got that.

Sure our bottom 6 doesnt look great on paper but there is a lot of potential there imo. And only Tanev and McCann have deals of more than 1 year. So we arent stuck with anything.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Pretty much a nothing signing like ERod. Coast almost nothing and if they work out well it'll be great. If not you just send them down.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Big. Has scored 17 goals one season. Might facilitate a trade of Tanev etc. to make more room for a RD UFA.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Zero risk. Still relatively young, and a change of scenery is probably great for him. I don't expect him to turn a corner, but it would be a real nice find if he could get back to 14-17 goals a season.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I just like that he was a teammate of Brandon Tanev at Providence College for the entire 4 years that the both of them were there. Wonder if they were on the same line often.... either way I think it's interesting

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Zero risk. Still relatively young, and a change of scenery is probably great for him. I don't expect him to turn a corner, but it would be a real nice find if he could get back to 14-17 goals a season.

Right. And I think that change of scenery will be the difference. Flames got stale offensively imo. Kept same lineup all these years. Eventually pushing Jankowski down further and further. While their top line still remained one of the best...with a decent 2nd line(Backlund at Center )...their bottom 6 got worse. They didnt have the Frolik, Ferland types at wing anymore to help Sam Bennett/ Jankowski in the bottom 6.

We could have a steal in Jankowski. Hasnt even played 3 full seasons yet. I say he can develop into a 20g 35-40a type Center for us. If he were to stay more than 1 season. Since I also believe McCann is much better than people give him credit for and hes gonna show that this season being on LW instead. Sure he is streaky, but so is every non- elite player. Over the course of 82 games tho...he is definitely a 25g - 25a type. If then given top unit PP mins..could hit 30g here and there. A lot forget how tough hes had it to start his career. Started out at 19 on a bad Canucks team(so they rushed him...2 years too early). Then actually had a good season with them but traded to Panthers right after. Didnt last long there and moved here where he went from C to LW and back and forth up and down the lineup. Never having a consistent line yet. Someone to gel with the whole season. He never had that chemistry with PH. We needed a Kahun/Kapanen type to add to that line. Not a Marleau.

Both McCann and Jankowski are gonna shock a lot of people. Even more so if we eventually put Poulin on that line or Tanev over Erod.

Rust at the age of 24 and 25 didnt really inspire people. He took off last year at 26. And he got to play with Sid and Geno in his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dux917 and stardog

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Why not?:

All those SH goals.

Another player added to our PK. Jankowski, Tanev, Blueger, Kapanen. Those 4 would be a threat to score a SH goal everytime out there..if we went with them. But with the switch, it still makes all 2 mins more of a threat. It will improve the PK from letting up goals as well.

Jankowski had 5 SH goals and 3 SH assists 2 years ago In only his 2nd year. 8 SH pts. Hes not a speedy player either like Hags, Tanev, Kap, etc that normally get those SH goals.

Kapanen has 5 SH goals in his short career. Tanev with 7.

I know we use Letang but imo he should see less PK mins now, if at all. We need him healthy . And it keeps his mins down. Can use Dumo and Marino as the main dmen to PK.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Big. Has scored 17 goals one season. Might facilitate a trade of Tanev etc. to make more room for a RD UFA.
Except the Pens would likely have to take another horrible contract back or retain on a Tanev trade. They are already paying two idiots almost $4 million to play elsewhere. I wouldn’t hold my breath on a Tanev deal unless you want a bloated contract in return.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
All those SH goals.

Another player added to our PK. Jankowski, Tanev, Blueger, Kapanen. Those 4 would be a threat to score a SH goal everytime out there..if we went with them. But with the switch, it still makes all 2 mins more of a threat. It will improve the PK from letting up goals as well.

Jankowski had 5 SH goals and 3 SH assists 2 years ago In only his 2nd year. 8 SH pts. Hes not a speedy player either like Hags, Tanev, Kap, etc that normally get those SH goals.

I know we use Letang but imo he should see less PK mins now, if at all. We need him healthy . And it keeps his mins down. Can use Dumo and Marino as the main dmen to PK.
McCann, Rust & Sceviour can PK too.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
People are wanting to over analyze a 700K signing. He works out... or he doesn’t. Have your hopes he is a pleasant surprise and just shut the f*** up. If he sucks we waive him.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
2 big guys in McCann and Jankowski Kapanen as well possibly on the thirdline thats a defensively sound 3rd line. Though I know we got Kapanen for his top 6 potential.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
This one is an intriguing option for 3C. Could end up being a great signing, and he will still be an RFA at the end of the season. Good job GMJR, nothing to lose here.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Right. And I think that change of scenery will be the difference. Flames got stale offensively imo. Kept same lineup all these years. Eventually pushing Jankowski down further and further. While their top line still remained one of the best...with a decent 2nd line(Backlund at Center )...their bottom 6 got worse. They didnt have the Frolik, Ferland types at wing anymore to help Sam Bennett/ Jankowski in the bottom 6.

We could have a steal in Jankowski. Hasnt even played 3 full seasons yet. I say he can develop into a 20g 35-40a type Center for us. If he were to stay more than 1 season. Since I also believe McCann is much better than people give him credit for and hes gonna show that this season being on LW instead. Sure he is streaky, but so is every non- elite player. Over the course of 82 games tho...he is definitely a 25g - 25a type. If then given top unit PP mins..could hit 30g here and there. A lot forget how tough hes had it to start his career. Started out at 19 on a bad Canucks team(so they rushed him...2 years too early). Then actually had a good season with them but traded to Panthers right after. Didnt last long there and moved here where he went from C to LW and back and forth up and down the lineup. Never having a consistent line yet. Someone to gel with the whole season. He never had that chemistry with PH. We needed a Kahun/Kapanen type to add to that line. Not a Marleau.

Both McCann and Jankowski are gonna shock a lot of people. Even more so if we eventually put Poulin on that line or Tanev over Erod.

Rust at the age of 24 and 25 didnt really inspire people. He took off last year at 26. And he got to play with Sid and Geno in his career.

Yeah, I think Jankowski is at that age where a player either takes a step or they do not. Sometimes its good to just go somewhere where nobody knows your name. People in Pittsburgh don't know he was overdrafted by 2-3 rounds. They don't know about the issues he's had in Calgary. He's starting fresh in a seemingly great situation. Hopefully this lets him breath a bit and he can get back to being a 15 goal scorer.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
All those SH goals.

Yep. One of the things I really liked about the new coaching staff is that they said they're going to a more aggressive PK. We certainly have the personnel to pull it off now.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's also around 50% in the dot, which is always good thing to have in a player.

Reactions: Dux917

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I like it, but not sure that I like that they are penciling him in at 3C.

Well it gives us the option to start him there and see if he can start scoring again now that hes away from flames where he was buried on 4th line

If Jankowski doesnt add the offense to help out McCann and whoever the other winger is....we move Blueger up. And at worst, Jankowksi is a shutdown 4C for us.

If its ...

McCann - Jankowksi - Poulin then I say Mark can get better offensively. Being what we wanted from Bjugstad and many others.

4th line would be...

Tanev - Blueger - Sceviour

Lafferty and Erod getting their chance when there are injuries.

Its good enough to try out for the first half of season. If by mid season we havent gotten much better offensively with that bottom 6...we make a trade. Or maybe just sign a player. At this rate there will be plenty of guys who will wait all of this out. Go into the season as UFA.

This one is an intriguing option for 3C. Could end up being a great signing, and he will still be an RFA at the end of the season. Good job GMJR, nothing to lose here.

Given how low his minutes have been, penciling him as the 3C (or anywhere on the third line) is premature.

Reactions: JTG

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
If Jankowski played instead of Zar, he would have scored 17 goals with all the scoring opportunities Teddy and Tanev created, I like the signing.

Jankowski - Tb - Tanev is a great 4th line.

Reactions: JTG and mpp9

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Jankowski played instead of Zar, he would have scored 17 goals with all the scoring opportunities Teddy and Tanev created, I like the signing.

Jankowski - Tb - Tanev is a great 4th line.

Yep. A defensively sound LW who can actually finish is perfect for those two.

Reactions: ownal

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
For 700k he could shove crayons up his nose and try and sharpen pencils with his asshole for all I care, really nothing not to like, nothing to win or lose he's on a nothing contract.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad