Confirmed with Link: Pens sign G Filip Lindberg to two-year, entry-level deal

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Don't think any of us really know much about him beyond stat watching and some highlight reels. That being said, unless he absolutely kills it in camp/pre-season, I don't think there's any realistic chance he gets any NHL games under his belt this season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It would be super weird to see Pens with a Finnish SG...

Emil Larmi was the last one to try to get a spot from Pens and he was highly touted goalie prospect.
- but failed to get even 1 game

Antti Niemi played 3 games, in his olden days in the NH, at 36.

Whos your last European SG?

Ah, its Johan Hedberg, 2001 -> 2003, so about 20 years ago
- he played about 110 games, as a starter

Hedberg is the only European SG for you guys huh?
- or do you consider Tomas Vokoun as the starter
in the 12-13 season? 20 games in the regular season,
MA Fleury played 33

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Right now, he's probably tied for 4th on the organizational goalie depth chart.
  1. Jarry
  2. DeSmith
  3. Domingue
  4. Lindberg / D'Orio
Like BFD said, depends how camp goes. Contract wise, it doesn't make sense for him to be ahead of Jarry or DeSmith. Experience wise, he likely shouldn't be ahead of Domingue.

But, as is true with everything Penguins, injuries happen. And as such, I could definitely see him being called up to the Pens and playing a few periods.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Well shit. Right on. College pick ups doing stuff again.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
They actually televised this game on sportsnet, Lindberg looks damn good in net. I like his game, of course it's 1 game, in the AHL, but we can only hope that he can push to come up to the big club.

Reactions: Giskard

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Domingue is day to day with a lower body, D'Orio backed up Nappier last game.

1st goal : a seeing eye shot, nothing there to do
2nd goal : pp goal, came from distance, wrister, not much traffic, shouldve had
3rd goal : close range, half a breakaway, player shoots bottom right corner, but puck hits his pad and the puck goes upstairs instead and in,
so kinda unlucky goal to give, thou, with better positioning, would have been a save.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
At the same time I wouldn’t be shocked if Lindberg was in Wheeling next year. Like I can’t help but think there was some reason he was a 7th round pick at 20 that never got signed and eventually shooters are going to figure out what that is.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Can't pretend to have any insight, but so far so good! Feels like watching Guentzel's point totals keep going up in college. Now we just need someone from management to say he's legit and mature beyond his years and we'll go full HFB.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
At the same time I wouldn’t be shocked if Lindberg was in Wheeling next year. Like I can’t help but think there was some reason he was a 7th round pick at 20 that never got signed and eventually shooters are going to figure out what that is.

Goalies are voodoo. Nobody knows how to pick them or project them. If anyone ever figures it out that team will have a massive advantage.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Goalies are voodoo. Nobody knows how to pick them or project them. If anyone ever figures it out that team will have a massive advantage.

I have a feeling that there are very few goalie coaches that are really good at keeping guys focused at the NHL level. There seems to be a trend of guys improving until they make the NHL, improve for a couple years then drop off.

I reckon a big part of it is also the difference in shot quality and shot blocking skill as well.

I wonder if also the physical rigour of playing in the NHL every other night is also a big part of it. Being harder also means you work harder during play for goalies, there might be an aspect of physical readiness that hasn't been perfected yet.

It's gotta be some combo of those right?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I have a feeling that there are very few goalie coaches that are really good at keeping guys focused at the NHL level. There seems to be a trend of guys improving until they make the NHL, improve for a couple years then drop off.

I reckon a big part of it is also the difference in shot quality and shot blocking skill as well.

I wonder if also the physical rigour of playing in the NHL every other night is also a big part of it. Being harder also means you work harder during play for goalies, there might be an aspect of physical readiness that hasn't been perfected yet.

It's gotta be some combo of those right?

Could be. It's actually interesting in that who the top goalies are year to year actually varies dramatically as well. So even with the goalies who people would consider established commodities the performances are still extremely random. Imagine if McDavid scored 140 points one year, then 50 points the next, then 100 the year after that. That's the type of inconsistency that routinely happens with the goalies.

If I were an NHL GM I'd feel super uncomfortable with investing significant dollars in the position because there's no consistency there even with the goalies who people would consider great. Here's the article I'm referencing: Why Goaltending is Basically Random and Will Always Make You Look Stupid (In 5 Graphs). It's an interesting read.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad