Confirmed with Link: Pens sign G Filip Lindberg to two-year, entry-level deal

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Free prospect is free prospect. Let's get him in the A and see how he does. There's a window to develop a guy before our two goalies drafted last year turn pro.
. Almost like drafting two goalies was f***ING STUPID last year when whoops these prospects can just be signed later like this

Reactions: pengineer

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Even in retrospect that wasn't a bad move. It's just a good idea to look for guys who slip through the cracks. You can't plan on it though.

But not with your first two picks because you traded all your other picks..

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't really have it in my mental reserves to give a shit about any picks outside of the like top-15. We haven't made one of those since we took the illustrious Pouliot at 8th overall.

I'd prefer BPA regardless of position on any guy taken from like, 45th overall onward. A mid-2nd is about when I'd shift to that, with a more needs-based approach before then.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Worth taking a shot given our needs and how outrageous his stats are. I do worry his stats are a product of the system or team around him because his goalie partner also had ridiculous stats.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Id assume they have no plans for him to be in the NHL this year outside of an injury issue which is obviously possible with this team.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
. Almost like drafting two goalies was f***ING STUPID last year when whoops these prospects can just be signed later like this
Its not absurd at all. There is no guarantee that players will sign a contract with said team. What happens if the Pens didn't draft a goalie, and goalies decide to sign elsewhere?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nothing wrong with another quality goalie prospect, especially if a few others are overseas.

Can someone refresh my memory though - I remember reading an article on NCAA free agents and everyone was ga-ga over a goalie who was dominant...is this him? Rather - is this the NCAA free agent goalie that everyone was after?

Reactions: Dominance

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's also worth noting that the goalies that were drafted last year are younger than Lindberg, so they still help fill the pipeline going forward.

Just to use this as an example scenario (not saying this is realistic, for a variety of reasons): DeSmith's contract ends after this current season. It's not out of question that he'd expect a raise on his current cap hit of 1.25M. In the ideal circumstance, one of Lindberg or D'Orio replace DeSmith, with the other remaining as the starter in WB/S. Blomqvist and Clang then can either come over and backup in WB/S or start in Wheeling, or else the Pens can loan them out to their European teams to continue to develop as starters overseas. This is not a bad situation to be in with goalies. If you're lucky, one of them proves to be good enough to be an NHL player. Chances are, most of them never see more than a few games in the NHL. Goalies are voodoo, so having a steady pipeline of prospects that gives you time to see which ones stick is necessary.

I mean, in 2011, the Pens drafted Murray and Maguire in the 3rd and 4th rounds, then drafted Jarry in the 2nd round the next year.
Oh, and then they drafted Gustavsson in 2016.

You never know how things are going to work out in the long run. You don't want to have too many goaltenders ready to be pro at the same time, due to lack of spots, but that's not really the case here. 5 goalies on NHL contracts spread between the NHL, AHL and ECHL is perfectly reasonable.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I like this signing. Gotta replenish the cupboard at every chance possible.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hi, guest here. Anyone think he might get some games in the NHL this season?

one Finnish media outlet was speculating (they also interviewed Lindberg)
that Filip might have a good shot (at least challenge Jarry & DeSmith) for the Pittsburgh's starting goalie spot this season.

What's you guys opinion about the matter?.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad