Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
People will laugh at this, but Zucker (or someone similar) on this team would be a good get. Would give Geno and Sid each a guy to dig the pucks out of corners. That's what I wanted for the past 2-3 years as they've aged. Stop making Sid/Geno do all the grunt work that's best served like dudes such as DOC, Bunting, Zucker, etc. Rust/Rak/Smith aren't going in the corners...
Zucker as 3LW would be nice right now. Not that Smith isn't okay-ish but my assumption is IF we go into the playoffs, we will likely see a reducing in icetime for Puustinen. A third line of Zucker-Eller-Smith would be sweet. But that's just what-if'ing and dreaming.

What they need is another DOC. Dude has been skating his butt off these past couple of games and really working well in the corners. He could easily develop into Kunitz-lite.
Yeah, I’d rather take another contract back than retain
Always depends on who we are taking back. I'd rather retain $1mil than take back a bloated $3-4mil contract for 2-3yrs.

The benefit of some of these young kids coming up like Yager, Pickering, Pono, Koivunen, etc is that you can absorb a bit of retainage. One potential issue with a contract coming back is it could take away a roster spot from a better, younger player. For example, when 100% healthy, Nieto or Acciari are taking spots away from guys like Puustinen and Poulin; Graves is in over JSI, Shea, Ludvig, etc.

Like say we want to trade with NJ, I'd almost rather retain on Jarry than have to take back someone like Allen because I'd rather it be Neds-Blomqvist next year. Unless we can take him back and flip him for cheap.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Zucker as 3LW would be nice right now. Not that Smith isn't okay-ish but my assumption is IF we go into the playoffs, we will likely see a reducing in icetime for Puustinen. A third line of Zucker-Eller-Smith would be sweet. But that's just what-if'ing and dreaming.

What they need is another DOC. Dude has been skating his butt off these past couple of games and really working well in the corners. He could easily develop into Kunitz-lite.

Always depends on who we are taking back. I'd rather retain $1mil than take back a bloated $3-4mil contract for 2-3yrs.

The benefit of some of these young kids coming up like Yager, Pickering, Pono, Koivunen, etc is that you can absorb a bit of retainage. One potential issue with a contract coming back is it could take away a roster spot from a better, younger player. For example, when 100% healthy, Nieto or Acciari are taking spots away from guys like Puustinen and Poulin; Graves is in over JSI, Shea, Ludvig, etc.

Like say we want to trade with NJ, I'd almost rather retain on Jarry than have to take back someone like Allen because I'd rather it be Neds-Blomqvist next year. Unless we can take him back and flip him for cheap.

I'd be careful with that, because if you want to pivot and retain to sell off assets it puts you in a bind.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd be careful with that, because if you want to pivot and retain to sell off assets it puts you in a bind.
Fair, that would put us at 2 of 3 but if we wanted to sell, who are we selling that would need to be retained on?

Smith, Eller, and Pettersson would all be UFAs so you could retain on one if needed. Petry drops off after this year as well which would then open us up to 2 slots the following year.

It becomes an issue if you are looking for long-term retention on a guy like Graves or Rakell but I imagine if either are traded, retention isn't in the deal.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
As much as I like Zucker, Dubas has to continue the get bigger, younger, better from here. Take the Sullivan wants from him to insure he can ONLY play the young guys. Make sure he understands that is what we want from here. Puustinen, 3RD, Gruden, Poulin, play. Then Yagar, Pickering, the Canes trade guys, Broz, replace the Ellers, Rusts, Smiths, Acciari next couple years.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I know this is not a sexy move but it is a cap move.

I suggested Blues trade of Saad 32 2 years left at 4.5 million. Scores 20 goals around the net.

For...

Ryan Graves 4.5 million for 5 years.

They need a LD.

What yall think?
Uh yea

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Graves is going to play better as his RD Jack ST is better. Ruhwedel stunk. Letang is not a good fit as Graves is a stay at home D that Sullivan wants to move him up to much. As his contract is harder to move for value right now, get him playing better. Plus karlsson will be moved after next year to bring back assets that help the rebuild. He will be in demand with a great salary net 13,5 million the last 2 years. Little early but Ottawa and Seattle both have young centers I love to get.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Graves is going to play better as his RD Jack ST is better. Ruhwedel stunk. Letang is not a good fit as Graves is a stay at home D that Sullivan wants to move him up to much. As his contract is harder to move for value right now, get him playing better. Plus karlsson will be moved after next year to bring back assets that help the rebuild. He will be in demand with a great salary net 13,5 million the last 2 years. Little early but Ottawa and Seattle both have young centers I love to get.

Graves need a stay at home D, not a Letang or Karlsson.

If we move EK65 this team's window is over.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I think there would be interest in Jarry between 4-4.5M considering the state of goaltending around the league. For all the shit we give him, his A-game still puts him in the top 10 of goalies around the league when he's on. I think in a system with actual defensive competency he'd thrive.

Come July 1st we have 2 retention slots open, Jarry eats one and maybe Smith takes the other, then after next season we only have Jarry taking up a slot.

I'd much rather us eat a million in cap retention and save some space than take on another change of scenery contract.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California

I went a third line of DOC/ Poulin, Ponomarev and Puustinen starting next season. Move Eller to the 4th line center, and dump Smith, Carter, Nieto and Harkins.

Reactions: SEALBound

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jarry when on is pretty good. teams will see his value there thinking the system is not to his benefit. I do think he has value a quite frankly 5 million with 4 years is not a killer. I can see teams liking that amount vs paying 7 to 8 million for another Bobs type deal. NJ, the Oilers, a couple others will kick the tires if he is out there.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I went a third line of DOC/ Poulin, Ponomarev and Puustinen starting next season. Move Eller to the 4th line center, and dump Smith, Carter, Nieto and Harkins.
From your lips to God's ears.

If they could get Jake to come back here, I'd be really interested in:

Jake-Sid-DOC
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-Pono-Puustinen
Bemstrom-Eller-Puljujarvi

or even:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Jake-Malkin-Rakell
Poulin-Pono-Puustinen

as a base. Maybe a better 3LW and make Poulin or Bemstrom the 13F. This premise is you merely trade out Smith, Acciari, and Nieto for whatever you can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rudy Russo

The GM

Jun 7, 2012

Jake-Sid-DOC
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-Pono-Puustinen

as a base. Maybe a better 3LW and make Poulin or Bemstrom the 13F. This premise is you merely trade out Smith, Acciari, and Nieto for whatever you can get.
No bunting?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No bunting?
God I thought I was missing someone! Makes most sense to run:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Pono-Puustinen
Poulin/Bemstrom-Eller-Puljujarvi

Of course, I would love for them to get aggressive finding a good 3C and get crazy on running quality depth.

DOC-Sid-Rust
Jake-Malkin-Puustinen
Bunting-Stephenson-Rakell
Pono-Eller-Puljujarvi
SP/EB

Last edited:

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California

Jake-Sid-DOC
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-Pono-Puustinen

or even:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Jake-Malkin-Rakell
Poulin-Pono-Puustinen

You forgot Bunting. The defense next season is going to be interesting with POJ (RFA) and the rumors about Karlsson maybe going back to Ottawa. Plus would Dubas trade Jarry and have Ned with Blomqvist as his backup?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas has to finagle the compete/retool going forward. Smith for a draft pick in the mid second. Look if Jarry can bring a number 1 and Ned at say 3 million for 3 that is a risk but Dubas has to take some risks here.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Puustinen
? Eller Rakell
Gruden Poulin Acciari
Jesse as 13 forward.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You forgot Bunting. The defense next season is going to be interesting with POJ (RFA) and the rumors about Karlsson maybe going back to Ottawa. Plus would Dubas trade Jarry and have Ned with Blomqvist as his backup?
If we could pull off some Karlsson for Chychrun trade. That'd be cool.

We'd have to find a top 4 right handed defensemen then. Petts + Chychrun on the left. Letang and someone on the right for the top 4. Would need a Pker there as well as whomever is the bottom pairing as Chychrun doesn't PK atm.

I'd also be fine keeping Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad