Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ah, I must've confused this year and last years speed information.
Probably didn't help that Dubas' off season plan involved bringing in a bunch of guys who are pretty slow. I took a quick look at Smith, Acciari, Eller, and Graves and they all didn't rate very high on speed metrics.

Karlsson did.

I think all of this pretty well matches the eye test.

I also do think @BlindWillyMcHurt is right that the system doesn't exactly lend itself to showing skating legs either. Everything we do is deliberate and plodding.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
In a vacuum, I like Graves for Saad.

But as has already been mentioned, we already have Rust, Rakell, Bunting, and Smith as middle-six wingers making roughly $5M. Can't keep collecting these types of players.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Which metrics are you looking at? NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Teams has us below 50th percentile in team speed.
Looking at those charts, I noticed something about the shot charts.

Even though we rank high in high danger chances, I think it's misleading because most of those seem to be attempted tips/deflections from point shots. I don't think there's a whole lot of "shots" in that bunch.

The reason I say that is if you look at the mid-range shot totals, you see the Pens are below 50% percentile because we don't generate enough shots in that deep slot/top of the faceoff dot area.

That seems to track with Sullivan's offensive approach. A bunch of long-range shots that either get tipped/deflected or that just go directly at the goalie.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
It will be interesting to see what they do this off-season. I'm curious on how they view DOC. I think he's a 3LW but at the same time, he needs good linemates to be effective. If they don't want to beef up the 3rd line...I don't know where he fits other than to merely exist on the left side.
DOC or Poulin with Ponomaryov and Puustinen next season.

Reactions: SEALBound

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
In a vacuum, I like Graves for Saad.

But as has already been mentioned, we already have Rust, Rakell, Bunting, and Smith as middle-six wingers making roughly $5M. Can't keep collecting these types of players.

I figure we'd be trading Smith away if this was a move we'd make.

I was just searching for contract movement.

Between Leddy and Krug. I think I'd want Leddy but honestly I don't want either.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
How much are we retaining on Jarry to get anything of decent value back in a trade?

Trade Jarry, re-sign Ned for 2-3 years @2.5M, sign MAF for a 1 year retirement tour and start shuffling Blomqvist in.

...profit?

Reactions: wheelz87

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Who cares about the return…just getting rid of that contract is a win…and we can’t retain on it
I mean the guy tested FA and stayed

I'm betting no other team wanted to pay him $5+

So you're retaining, which is an instant negative value (plus we don't have a spot, right?)

It was a stupid contract from day 1

Best player available my ass. Total albatross. FIVE years? I mean, even if he was the only option... FIVE?

Ahhh the memories Confirmed with Link: - Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

@BusinessGoose
For over $5mil a year, this dude better play well over .900 for 65 games

Check back next April to see what he did

He did 50 games at .903

So i guess he almost proved me wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I know this is not a sexy move but it is a cap move.

I suggested Blues trade of Saad 32 2 years left at 4.5 million. Scores 20 goals around the net.

For...

Ryan Graves 4.5 million for 5 years.

They need a LD.

What yall think?

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Saad isn't what he was, but not having Graves on the team is addition by subtraction

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think I agree with this in theory...but then I think back to stuff like Pyatt-Geno-Neal and get iffy. I'd be fine with a 2nd line of Bunting-Geno-Rakell. I think that works well enough for our purposes, assuming you get the 1LW that gets Sid's like back to Jake-Sid-Rust levels. The real key is getting the third line to a level where it's capable of actually providing some offense (again, abandoning the 2 scoring and 2 defense lines model).

People will laugh at this, but Zucker (or someone similar) on this team would be a good get. Would give Geno and Sid each a guy to dig the pucks out of corners. That's what I wanted for the past 2-3 years as they've aged. Stop making Sid/Geno do all the grunt work that's best served like dudes such as DOC, Bunting, Zucker, etc. Rust/Rak/Smith aren't going in the corners...

Reactions: SEALBound

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean the guy tested FA and stayed

I'm betting no other team wanted to pay him $5+

So you're retaining, which is an instant negative value (plus we don't have a spot, right?)

It was a stupid contract from day 1

Best player available my ass. Total albatross. FIVE years? I mean, even if he was the only option... FIVE?

Ahhh the memories Confirmed with Link: - Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

He did 50 games at .903

So i guess he almost proved me wrong
Yeah, I’d rather take another contract back than retain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad