Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
See, I just flat-out disagree. I don't believe we have the 3C in-house needed to anchor a bottom 6 that is so vital in the playoffs. Bleuger ain't it, and Carter most certainly ain't it. Poehling and DOC are merely 4C replacements. None of them bring what we need in a 3C.

Chychrun is a luxury. When healthy, I have little issue running:
Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

The key here is getting Sullivan to scratch Dumo or for Hextall to use him in the trade for 3C. I feel we need the Whitney for Kunitz trade for things to work.

Chychrun is a top 20 D. Adding that is never a “luxury”.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
See, I just flat-out disagree. I don't believe we have the 3C in-house needed to anchor a bottom 6 that is so vital in the playoffs. Bleuger ain't it, and Carter most certainly ain't it. Poehling and DOC are merely 4C replacements. None of them bring what we need in a 3C.

Chychrun is a luxury. When healthy, I have little issue running:
Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

The key here is getting Sullivan to scratch Dumo or for Hextall to use him in the trade for 3C. I feel we need the Whitney for Kunitz trade for things to work.

What do we need out of our 3C that our current guys can't provide?

In comparison, Chychrun is a legitimate top pairing defenseman who can play 22+ minutes per game and helps tremendously with transition and on offense. How is that a luxury when none of our current LD can do that?

Who was more important to Colorado last year? Devon Toews or the fact JT Compher was holding down the 3C spot? Or put another way, does Colorado still win the Cup if you downgraded from Toews to Pettersson while upgrading on Compher?

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chychrun is a top 20 D. Adding that is never a “luxury”.
Considering the play of Pettersson and POJ while already having Petry and Letang, yes it is.

Chychrun also spends more time on IR than on the ice so...there's that too.
What do we need out of our 3C that our current guys can't provide?

In comparison, Chychrun is a legitimate top pairing defenseman who can play 22+ minutes per game and helps tremendously with transition and on offense. How is that a luxury when none of our current LD can do that?

Who was more important to Colorado last year? Devon Toews or the fact JT Compher was holding down the 3C spot? Or put another way, does Colorado still win the Cup if you downgraded from Toews to Pettersson while upgrading on Compher?
Who was more important in the cup runs, Dumo/Maatta or Bonino/Cullen?

Again, I just think the capabilities gap in 3C far exceed any deficiencies we have on the backend. Each pairing has a quality transition guy. Letang, POJ/Petry, Smith/Rutta. Even Pettersson is good enough for my liking.

Carter and Bleuger as 3C and 4C, not so much. We need more there. We need that Bonino level 3C who can make something work with the existing bottom 6 wings we have - McGinn, Heinen, Kapanen, etc.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Again, I just think the capabilities gap in 3C far exceed any deficiencies we have on the backend. Each pairing has a quality transition guy. Letang, POJ/Petry, Smith/Rutta. Even Pettersson is good enough for my liking.

Carter and Bleuger as 3C and 4C, not so much. We need more there. We need that Bonino level 3C who can make something work with the existing bottom 6 wings we have - McGinn, Heinen, Kapanen, etc.
How is Maatta even a comparable to what Chychrun is? And Dumo is a completely different type of player. Though one could argue Dumoulin in 2017 was much, much more valuable to that Cup run than either of Bonino or Cullen were considering he was the top pairing minute muncher with Letang out.

Chychrun would help tremendously on offense, which is something our blueline lacks. He'd be similar to what Colorado got in Toews. Not sure why you think a guy like Maatta and his role on the team is comparable to what Chychrun would add.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Considering the play of Pettersson and POJ while already having Petry and Letang, yes it is.

Chychrun also spends more time on IR than on the ice so...there's that too.

Not sure you have any idea what type of player Chychrun is.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Because if the organization is honest with themselves this team is not good enough to win a cup if they continue to play this way and they can recoup assets and use them to make a big move this summer or in season next year.
Thats been the case for several years. So lets enjoy this cores last hurrah. A couple late 1 or 2nd round picks are not going to make any difference in a rebuild and will take years to get to the NHL.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
How is Maatta even a comparable to what Chychrun is? And Dumo is a completely different type of player. Though one could argue Dumoulin in 2017 was much, much more valuable to that Cup run than either of Bonino or Cullen were considering he was the top pairing minute muncher with Letang out.

Chychrun would help tremendously on offense, which is something our blueline lacks. He'd be similar to what Colorado got in Toews. Not sure why you think a guy like Maatta and his role on the team is comparable to what Chychrun would add.

Not sure you have any idea what type of player Chychrun is.
I know what type of player he is - he's a quality top pairing PMD LD. I get it, he's good. When he's healthy, he's good. What I am saying is that with having Letang, Petry, POJ, Smith being PMDs and having Rutta and Pettersson being no slouches, Chychrun is a luxury on this defense. One that I'm not convinced justifies the cost.

Our lack of a quality bottom 6 is much more of a concern. We aren't losing games because we don't have good transition from the defense (when all healthy). Lack of production from the bottom 6, especially at center, is certainly a concern.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I know what type of player he is - he's a quality top pairing PMD LD. I get it, he's good. When he's healthy, he's good. What I am saying is that with having Letang, Petry, POJ, Smith being PMDs and having Rutta and Pettersson being no slouches, Chychrun is a luxury on this defense. One that I'm not convinced justifies the cost.

Our lack of a quality bottom 6 is much more of a concern. We aren't losing games because we don't have good transition from the defense (when all healthy). Lack of production from the bottom 6, especially at center, is certainly a concern.

Chychrun isn’t a PMD. He an all situations, top pairing D who is large and in charge.

It’s like Tampa adding McDonagh. Not adding a Maatta. And honestly Letang’s goal scoring has absolutely cratered the last two seasons so I’d argue we need goal scoring from the blue line.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chychrun isn’t a PMD. He an all situations, top pairing D who is large and in charge.

It’s like Tampa adding McDonagh. Not adding a Maatta. And honestly Letang’s goal scoring has absolutely cratered the last two seasons so I’d argue we need goal scoring from the blue line.
I'm not arguing that he wouldn't be a good addition. I'm arguing that there are better additions to make, like a quality 3C.

Yes, more scoring from the blueline would be great. You know what else would be great? More than 7 goals in 53 collective games from our 3 and 4C.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not arguing that he wouldn't be a good addition. I'm arguing that there are better additions to make, like a quality 3C.

Yes, more scoring from the blueline would be great. You know what else would be great? More than 7 goals in 53 collective games from our 3 and 4C.

I mean the players around them are producing decently goal wise.

Also, Carolina’s 3C and 4C center depth has 7 goals. (Koko and Statsny or Stepan take your pick)

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022

No he has found his new love

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

According to Jfresh rush defense and in-zone defensive play are Chychrun's strengths.

We could use that since in zone is always a struggle for us. Also adding a Chychrun has the net benefit of shifting everyone else around.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
According to Jfresh rush defense and in-zone defensive play are Chychrun's strengths.

We could use that since in zone is always a struggle for us. Also adding a Chychrun has the net benefit of shifting everyone else around.

Chychrun is one of the few players that makes Arizona fun to watch.

He wants to move to a contender. And he wants to win. Look at what he’s doing right now. A lot of players would be disgruntled but he’s hungry.

He’s the type of roster altering move that could seriously reshape this squad.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

magic-henning.gif

Reactions: 66-30-33

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Chychrun would be fun to watch. I don't really give a shit about anything beyond that. :laugh: Let the Coyotes have their pick of any of our shit prospects and a 1st rounder since it's gonna be in the early-to-mid 20s and probably gonna end up another Poulin.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Chychrun would be fun to watch. I don't really give a shit about anything beyond that. :laugh: Let the Coyotes have their pick of any of our shit prospects and a 1st rounder since it's gonna be in the early-to-mid 20s and probably gonna end up another Poulin.
Prospects? what prospects? Just sell them WBS with a few 1sts and whatever else garbage. Maybe they will eat 50% of his little cap hit. :sarcasm:

• Wow
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad