Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That's what happens when you give an injury prone player who is one concussion away from likely never playing again to a 8 year deal.

Also Lindholm cost a 1st, two 2nds, and a solid prospect. Probably the return Chychrun will end up getting.
If Hampus Lindholm is one concussion away from never playing again, that must mean Sidney Crosby retired like 8 years ago.

We need to replace what Dumoulin used to be, a steady and responsible defender. That's not Chychrun.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If Hampus Lindholm is one concussion away from never playing again, that must mean Sidney Crosby retired like 8 years ago.

We need to replace what Dumoulin used to be, a steady and responsible defender. That's not Chychrun.

You must not have followed Lindholm's career. He's had several severe concussions dating back to juniors and one in last year's playoffs.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You must not have followed Lindholm's career. He's had several severe concussions dating back to juniors and one just a few months ago in the playoffs.
That doesn't scare me from giving a guy a long term deal. If he retires, insurance pays him, he goes on LTIR and you trade him to Arizona in a year or two for a 2nd. Especially when you get a top pairing guy locked up for 6.5.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That doesn't scare me from giving a guy a long term deal. If he retires, insurance pays him, he goes on LTIR and you trade him to Arizona in a year or two for a 2nd. Especially when you get a top pairing guy locked up for 6.5.

We've seen this story with Boston many years in a row. They sign a player to a solid deal, they look great for a year or two and then they ultimately have to pay to move him.

I like Lindholm, he'd be a decent add, but I'd much rather add a player like Chychrun who is cost controlled and we can move at the end of his deal for value back.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
We've seen this story with Boston many years in a row. They sign a player to a solid deal, they look great for a year or two and then they ultimately have to pay to move him.

I like Lindholm, he'd be a decent add, but I'd much rather add a player like Chychrun who is cost controlled and we can move at the end of his deal for value back.
Seems to work for them as they're usually in the mix as one of the better teams in the East. Chychrun reminds me of a younger Petry. Fine player, but I don't think he's what this team needs right now.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Pessimism isn't truth by default. Many pessimistic opinions have been already proven false this year on this board.
I'd say the "echo chamber" here is too many of those types of posts, actually. We need more people who are capable of separating their emotions from their analysis, so they can say smart things more often.

For example the idea that past playoff losses somehow guarantees poor results this playoffs is incredibly irrational.

You’re right.

I will be amazed when
That's what happens when you give an injury prone player who is one concussion away from likely never playing again to a 8 year deal.

Also Lindholm cost a 1st, two 2nds, and a solid prospect. Probably the return Chychrun will end up getting.
well we’re out of the running then.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Just putting this here as reference for future acquisitions about possibly moving Rutta to the left side...

“(Stinks) for (Dumoulin) or (Smith),” Rutta said. “I’ve played on the left side a couple of times. It’s no fun. Playing as a lefty on the right side (stinks) too. I think they did a good job.”

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
An upgrade on 3C is a much higher priority than adding Chychrun.
Disagree. I think adding a top pairing defenseman who can play 22+ minutes per night and contribute on offense is a much greater need than a position we could just fill using Blueger as the defensive 3C and Carter as the offensive 4C at.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Disagree. I think adding a top pairing defenseman who can play 22+ minutes per night and contribute on offense is a much greater need than a position we could just fill using Blueger as the defensive 3C and Carter as the offensive 4C at.
No, this team can be a contender with defensemen currently in the organization IF they bite the bullet and bench Dumoulin.

It cannot if it keeps rolling the current bottom six.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, this team can be a contender with defensemen currently in the organization IF they bite the bullet and bench Dumoulin.

It cannot if it keeps rolling the current bottom six.

Petterson, POJ, and Smith/Friedman/Ruhwedel is not a Cup contending LD, no matter how many times people say it is. They're adequate in what they do, so this isn't me saying they suck before someone starts putting those words in my mouth. But they're none of them are ideally what you'd want on your top pairing getting 22 minutes a night in the playoffs against the best of the best.

Meanwhile, a Blueger-level 3C who handles the defensive chores while chipping in around 30 points is more than adequate (not great, but not a hindrance) for a contender. Especially if a rested (ie. less often used) Carter can provide some scoring spark from the 4C hole.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Petterson, POJ, and Smith/Friedman/Ruhwedel is not a Cup contending LD, no matter how many times people say it is. They're adequate in what they do, so this isn't me saying they suck before someone starts putting those words in my mouth. But they're none of them are ideally what you'd want on your top pairing getting 22 minutes a night in the playoffs against the best of the best.

Meanwhile, a Blueger-level 3C who handles the defensive chores while chipping in around 30 points is more than adequate (not great, but not a hindrance) for a contender. Especially if a rested (ie. less often used) Carter can provide some scoring spark from the 4C hole.
I don't have confidence at all in Carter, and Heinen and Kapanen are far too inconsistent offensively for how vanilla they are in the rest of their games. I can work with Blueger, McGinn, Archibald and Poehling, but the bottom six needs a jolt from two new faces.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't have confidence at all in Carter, and Heinen and Kapanen are far too inconsistent offensively for how vanilla they are in the rest of their games. I can work with Blueger, McGinn, Archibald and Poehling, but the bottom six needs a jolt from two new faces.
The person I quoted said that 3C is a greater need than adding Chychrun. Carter would be 4C in my scenario and neither Heinen nor Kapanen have anything to do with 3C needing an upgrade.

I also think in a cap world you'll never have a "perfect" roster. So for me, adding another legitimate puck moving top pairing D is more important than upgrading on Blueger at 3C. Blueger's probably more ideal as a 4C with a better 3C ahead of it, but IMO, isn't nearly as much of an impediment for this team going far than having to rely on Pettersson/POJ/Smith to be good enough to go deep in the playoffs. Chychrun would allow each guy to bump down to a more reasonable spot -- Petterson on the second pairing and POJ being a stud on the third pairing.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

You also have Poehling who is doing exactly what Blueger does only producing this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad