Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Feb 26th, the deadline day warmup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My opinion on draft picks is much more quantity>quality, so this deal especially makes me uncomfortable. Even if the value is totally fine on paper, how can you rationalize giving up 5 picks for a freaking 3rd liner? Draft picks are complete crapshoots where you should be trying to get as many picks as you can. I just can't rationalize giving up 5 picks for a 3rd line player, no matter where those picks fall. Having the picks be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th makes the deal worse.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Not really. The fact most of you don’t understand it is hilariously proving how little y’all watch the league.
C'mon.

I know the 4th and 5th don't mean much at all but they just emptied out everything.

I love Tanner and there aren't really many players like him in the NHL and this makes TBs bottom 6 extremely tough to play against.

He will be really good there but that is a lot to give. Reguardless of how it works out and I think he will be there after this year.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Tampa makes three straight SCF acquiring players like Jeannot and the analytics guy who is never right in JFresh says it’s crazy

Who has more proof here?
It's still an absurd over payment. I know you like the player, and I'm sure he'll help them quite a bit. But they've just obliterated their drafts for the foreseeable future. And, they're far from a favorite to win at this year. They're still a very very good team, but that's a bit crazy. LOL

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Is a big component of Jeannot's value that he's a great cheap extension candidate as an RFA? Like Tampa could pay the Kapanen contract or less to extend for 2-3 years?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eaa sAS
C'mon.

I know the 4th and 5th don't mean much at all but they just emptied out everything.

I love Tanner and there aren't really many players like him in the NHL and this makes TBs bottom 6 extremely tough to play against.

He will be really good there but that is a lot to give. Reguardless of how it works out and I think he will be there after this year.

It’s a lot to give if you don’t follow the way drafting works. Tampa knows what they are doing and has proven it year in and year out at the draft. They are moving marginal pieces to capitalize on their core now.

It’s what JR tried to do but was too f***ing dumb to do after Kessel fell in his lap.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'll say this in Pixie's defense: It's a lot to give up, but Tampa giving that up is different from say us giving that up. I'd be pissed if Hextall gave up that haul for Jeannot because we aren't one player away.

Tampa though? They might be one player away. They're still in the prime of their contending window. It'd be like if we made this trade in 2016 or something.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Is a big component of Jeannot's value that he's a great cheap extension candidate as an RFA? Like Tampa could pay the Kapanen contract or less to extend for 2-3 years?
Partially yes. Hes not a rental and most likely be a reasonable new contract. Over you need cheap prospects to fill your roster. Tampa just gutted their draft for the foreseeable future on a 3rd liner.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The big component is he is a potential 20 goal scorer that can beat the shit out of the other team which there are like 5 of in the league.

Well yes, but that player is worth much more if he can be signed for $2.5M next year vs. $5M next year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This would mean the league is a seriously broken mess if trades become this looney..
Agreed, I sincerely think this is bad for the game. There will be future GMS or even current GMS who see this and will start trading an entire draft class for a middle six forward. There should be more adults in the room here. Don't get me wrong Tampa Bay has had unrivaled success over the last few years, but this is not what they should be doing. It just sets a bad precedent.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'll say this in Pixie's defense: It's a lot to give up, but Tampa giving that up is different from say us giving that up. I'd be pissed if Hextall gave up that haul for Jeannot because we aren't one player away.

Tampa though? They might be one player away. They're still in the prime of their contending window. It'd be like if we made this trade in 2016 or something.
They pretty much going all in again. Worth it if they get another cup.

Reactions: Pancakes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't quite agree, winning a cup would be how you justify that shit trade. It's a shit trade regardless, you just hope you win to make up for it. Same kind of situation the Despres for Lovejoy trade was.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yes. NHL execs are idiots. Look at ours.

Tampa’s front office has killed it for years and their internal analytics team is the best in the league.

The fact people think they don’t know what their doing is absurd at this point.
Tampa didn't win cups primarily because of their deadline guys. They won cups primarily because they have elite players at every position. An overpay is still an overpay whether you win with it or not. You just don't care when you win. So I understand why they would do this and I understand why almost every other team would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille