Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Feb 26th, the deadline day warmup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
As the title says, it's leading into the TDL. Pick who you want out, post who you want in.

We needed a new thread. Go...

Weird how players are consistently doing this here.

Anyway, McGinn is actually our best PKer so there should be no reason to scratch him.

He'd be my 3rd choice, but one that wouldn't bother me at all. Archibald is back to PK now.

I think McGinn would work fine offensively if given linemates who can possess the puck and pass it well. Carter ain't that.

McGinn's a finisher. He's not a puck possession guy. Get him someone who can get him the puck in space and he'll use that wicked shot effectively.

ROR has always been an elite defensive C, Brassard not quite. Depends on the price and if ROR has lingering injury issues like Brassard though.

Yeah but McGinn eats like all the PK time. He’s a useful player despite his cap hit.

And ultimately I find it hard giving him crap for his cap hit.

Who keeps telling you you’re wrong? Facebook?

Zone exits to chin size ratio?

The one good thing about Hextall botching the off season so badly is that he can pursue a goalie, a d-man, and a bottom six forward, and they will instantly be upgrades.

Your hatred for Hextall rivals Mikael's hatred for Klaus in The Vampire Diaries. Considering that beef was 1000 years old, that's saying something.

Sorry, I never saw that movie. Was Klaus also horrible at his job, but the vampires couldn’t see it because their heads were buried in the sand?

He's a balance to the force on this board.

We are all on the scale from loathe entirely to Genius.

Pens X just helps hold down the one side and I for one applaud strong stances. I'd be bored here if everyone was rationally Luke warm about everything.

sooo someone actually thought Gerbil Boy Rossi helped prove their point?/

I'm not hating. It makes me laugh sometimes, which is not easy to do cuz my soul has mostly left the building.

Don't wanna spoil. Should check it out. Watching season 3 now.
It's far better than I expected going in. Pretty good writing, considering the genre.

It's kind of weird that Sullivan's never really tried McGinn in the top six during one of his "mix and match" sessions, at least not more than for a blink of an eye.

Maybe he won't be a fit. But it's hard to know if it's never tried.

Let me guess. You're another 30 something thats soul has been crushed by the weight of this life?

Not gonna blame life or circumstances. Will own up to my own choices that led me to this jaded state.
Grew up in a 1st world country. Had the means. A lot of people do more with less. It is what it is.

Haha thank you. It would be very boring if everyone here treated Hextall like a 5 year old, and didn’t hold him accountable. Basically, this board treats Hextall like Hextall treats Sullivan. We better stay out of his way because that guy is great at what he does. Any team in the league would want him.

Cheer up, bud. At least you don’t twitch at the sight of our GM. Though, lucky for me, Hextall is only seen publicly 3 or 4 times a season.

He’s been tried at LW w Geno a few times…not a lot but it didn’t work..

It’s weird Sullivan hasn’t tried a lot of things, but it’s reached the point where it would be odd if he tried new players or combos. If he ever wanted to freak out this site, he and sleepy should promote an AHL player not due to injuries. Can you imagine if he promoted a guy based on merit and held Carter accountable?

Is it weird? We saw the same thing with Tanev and Blueger too.

Another one…from Gretz

I know you have your schtick, but it's not a Hextall thing.

The board is genuinely conflicted because it isn't clear that we can upgrade our chances in a material way. Like with the right additions, our chance of winning the Cup goes from 2-->5%? This is a bubble team, through and through. The end of the era is getting weird, just as it did in Detroit in the 2014-2016 timeframe. Throwing assets for a miniscule return now could extend the rebuild another 2 years on the other side. Throwing good money after bad.

Also Sullivan outranks Hextall in the org. If you can't recognize that you are delusional. Or, like, more delusional than you already are.

I like how sleepy never has press conferences or will be seen in public, so they have to use the same pics of him in all of these articles.

Trade for Meier… turn Zucker into 3 C lol

What would the cost be for Foligno and Barbashev? that would be a solid TD. If we can shed some cap I would even go after Chychrun assuming it wont take a 1st to grab Foligno which I can't see and his whooping 15 points on the season.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Where did my poll go?

@Zirakzigil can you put this as a poll? Please.

They get to choose 4 and are able to change their vote if there are unfortunate changes. No time limit or until March 3rd.

Who's out?

Roster:

Zucker
Kapanen
McGinn
Blueger
Heinen
O'Connor
Dumoulin
POJ
Ruhwedel

Prospects:

Pickering
Smith
Pusstinen
Nylander
Hallander
Poulin
Lindberg
Gauthier

Last edited:

SteadyYeti

Aug 1, 2022
In: Shayne Gostisbhere and Barrett Hayton

Out: Jeff Petry, Marcus Pettersson, and Owen Pickerington

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Does anybody have a good read on how much Cap Space we actually have to use at the deadline? Guessing it wont be much if any.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Who is Owen Pickerington? A diplomat who founded Indiana PA?
He was supposed to be the first choice in National Treasure for the grave marker to the tunnel and they instead went with....

7811867162_40af9f075d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hextall has something in mind but my guess is a add of a third line guy or fourth line guy is what is what he settles for. NO thanks to McCabe. If I make a deal I want a tough physical LD. With 11 teams in the hunt for 8 spots, Hextall may have to widen his thinking if Buffalo make upgrades. To me Pens, Islanders and Caps are the teams for the 4th spot in the Metro. In the Atlantic, Buffalo to me can surprise. Florida is so bad on D but they have some firepower to over come that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
A first and a decent roster player seems steep for McCabe. I guess I'm a little intrigued so long as the idea there is to move away from Dumoulin after this season. Though frankly he's been playing better lately. So... meh.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hextall has something in mind but my guess is a add of a third line guy or fourth line guy is what is what he settles for. NO thanks to McCabe. If I make a deal I want a tough physical LD. With 11 teams in the hunt for 8 spots, Hextall may have to widen his thinking if Buffalo make upgrades. To me Pens, Islanders and Caps are the teams for the 4th spot in the Metro. In the Atlantic, Buffalo to me can surprise. Florida is so bad on D but they have some firepower to over come that.

Isn’t that McCabe’s game?

I remember him being a big hitter and someone unafraid to drop the gloves in Buffalo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A first and a decent roster player seems steep for McCabe. I guess I'm a little intrigued so long as the idea there is to move away from Dumoulin after this season. Though frankly he's been playing better lately. So... meh.

That return is ridiculous. If we pay a 1st for McCabe, I’ll join @Pens x.

Also, for those complaining about moves..

“The NHL trade market has existed in a state of flat-cap paralysis throughout the 2022-23 season.

It’s a testament to just how truly stuck the NHL trade market has been on the whole since Sept. 1 that, among all of the NHL’s 32 member clubs, only the Vancouver Canucks, Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders and Chicago Blackhawks have been involved in even a single transaction that has featured over $2 million in combined NHL-level cap liabilities.

And all of those trades had one thing in common: the Canucks were involved in the deal.”

Add in Tarasenko as that was written before the trade, but that’s why nothing is happening..

Reactions: Pens x and Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That return is ridiculous. If we pay a 1st for McCabe, I’ll join @Pens x.

Also, for those complaining about moves..

“The NHL trade market has existed in a state of flat-cap paralysis throughout the 2022-23 season.

It’s a testament to just how truly stuck the NHL trade market has been on the whole since Sept. 1 that, among all of the NHL’s 32 member clubs, only the Vancouver Canucks, Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders and Chicago Blackhawks have been involved in even a single transaction that has featured over $2 million in combined NHL-level cap liabilities.

And all of those trades had one thing in common: the Canucks were involved in the deal.”

Add in Tarasenko as that was written before the trade, but that’s why nothing is happening..
In other words, every executive in the nhl besides Rutherford is boring

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You have to admit it would be kind of hilarious if after all this noise about Hextall holding his first rounder he ends up dishing it for Jake flippin' McCabe.
I mean it’s not a rental… :help:

I should add that I think replacing either Dumo (especially) or Pettersson with McCabe is a move I could support. I’m sure he’s been trash lately like everybody in Chicago but he was doing quite well before they signed him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean it’s not a rental… :help:

That's true. He's still got years at 4M per so you'd at least be buying something tangible.

But what is McCabe? Like a 5 on a good roster? I admit I haven't paid attention since his move to Chicago but he definitely doesn't seem like a first round pick in a good draft kinda player.

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That's true. He's still got years at 4M per so you'd at least be buying something tangible.

But what is McCabe? Like a 5 on a good roster? I admit I haven't paid attention since his move to Chicago but he definitely doesn't seem like a first round pick in a good draft kinda player.
I have no idea, that’s the risk. If you look at his player cards at least, they are sterling before this year (or last? Don’t remember) don’t know what they look like now. Im pretty confident he would make the team better- but at what cost? Also costs as much as Pets.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad