Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
CCEB4DE2-7D4D-48CD-8606-2F04E017CE99.jpeg

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I have no idea, that’s the risk. If you look at his player cards at least, they are sterling before this year (or last? Don’t remember) don’t know what they look like now. Im pretty confident he would make the team better- but at what cost? Also costs as much as Pets.

He's actually been pretty good for Chicago even amid the dumpster fire. He definitely seems like the kind of guy that could solidify the defense, too. I see you posted his card which further backs both of those points.

But I dunno... it would make me a little disappointed to see them use the only real bullet in their gun on a middle-ish pairing D especially after just revamping the blueline this past offseason.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He's actually been pretty good for Chicago even amid the dumpster fire. He definitely seems like the kind of guy that could solidify the defense, too. I see you posted his card which further backs both of those points.

But I dunno... it would make me a little disappointed to see them use the only real bullet in their gun on a middle-ish pairing D especially after just revamping the blueline this past offseason.
Agreed. I could abide by it if he balanced it with a sneaky good move for a forward as well. McCabe basically necessitates that either Dumo or Petts need to go.. or God forbid POJ.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Agreed. I could abide by it if he balanced it with a sneaky good move for a forward as well. McCabe basically necessitates that either Dumo or Petts need to go.. or God forbid POJ.

It was super weird to me how many fans wanted to basically straight give up on POJ as recently as the start of the season. People were acting like he was pushin' 30 and had been in the system for years toiling on the farm.

He had some training camp flops but I thought he showed some intriguing flashes even in past callups.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It was super weird to me how many fans wanted to basically straight give up on POJ as recently as the start of the season. People were acting like he was pushin' 30 and had been in the system for years toiling on the farm.

He had some training camp flops but I thought he showed some intriguing flashes even in past callups.

It's because people don't have patience. The truth is DMen don't normally mature till their mid to late 20s given the difficulty of the position. So you get ups and downs early in their career.

That return is ridiculous. If we pay a 1st for McCabe, I’ll join @Pens x.

Also, for those complaining about moves..

“The NHL trade market has existed in a state of flat-cap paralysis throughout the 2022-23 season.

It’s a testament to just how truly stuck the NHL trade market has been on the whole since Sept. 1 that, among all of the NHL’s 32 member clubs, only the Vancouver Canucks, Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders and Chicago Blackhawks have been involved in even a single transaction that has featured over $2 million in combined NHL-level cap liabilities.

And all of those trades had one thing in common: the Canucks were involved in the deal.”

Add in Tarasenko as that was written before the trade, but that’s why nothing is happening..

We're paying a 1st for Lafferty for those elite PKz

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
McCabe for a first would be silly. Hextall is dumb but not that dumb.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This is kind of where I'm at. McCabe seems like the target if you don't really have any other holes in your lineup and you just want to fortify your defense corps with one more reliable top four defender, but considering some of the more pressing needs for the Pens he seems like the wrong target to use your best bargaining chip on.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think my preference is doing whatever it takes to get Meier and an extension. That basically completes the top six for the rest of Sid and Geno’s careers, and is the kind of acquisition that could give a healthy psychological boost. But they would still have to get a C for line 3 that isn't gonna get caved and I don't think they'd have assets left.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I like Meier as much as anyone, but he has every right to demand 9mil+ next year. If we don't offer it, someone else likely would.
He may take slightly less somewhere else, but they would need to be legit contenders for him to do that. That's not us.
Would he really sign here long term, knowing how old our core is? He's still Cupless.

To me he feels out of reach. We'll get outbid at the deadline very likely. Besides, you can do a lot with 9 mil to address problems in the summer.
It is very tough for a winger to outweigh that, even one as good as him.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Would love Chychrun. Clearly trying to get a deal done to get him in before the game starts :naughty:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I like Meier as much as anyone, but he has every right to demand 9mil+ next year. If we don't offer it, someone else likely would.
He may take slightly less somewhere else, but they would need to be legit contenders for him to do that. That's not us.
Would he really sign here long term, knowing how old our core is? He's still Cupless.

To me he feels out of reach. We'll get outbid at the deadline very likely. Besides, you can do a lot with 9 mil to address problems in the summer.
It is very tough for a winger to outweigh that, even one as good as him.
Probably, but the Pens could theoretically afford 8.5 mill depending on the Jarry deal.

But like I said, doesn't really fix the bottom six beyond pushing Zucker down. Still - the kind of player who is worth a lot. He's better than Guentzel and plays a similar game while being not useless defensively.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Chychrun's gonna go to like, f***in' Boston or some bullshit. :laugh:

Hopefully the trade happens tonight and this isn't a "trade related reasons" meaning "he'll be held out until like Wednesday until the FO decides which offer to accept" situation.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Chychrun's gonna go to like, f***in' Boston or some bullshit. :laugh:

Hopefully the trade happens tonight and this isn't a "trade related reasons" meaning "he'll be held out until like Wednesday until the FO decides which offer to accept" situation.

Boston doesn’t make a lot of sense considering they have 4 million in LD waived in the minors.

Reactions: Shady Machine

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Probably, but the Pens could theoretically afford 8.5 mill depending on the Jarry deal.

But like I said, doesn't really fix the bottom six beyond pushing Zucker down. Still - the kind of player who is worth a lot. He's better than Guentzel and plays a similar game while being not useless defensively.
Well Zucker would be gone if Meier re-signed.
We could afford him for sure, and it's true he's better than Guentzel. It would definitely make the team a sexier watch.

I just question whether the other sacrifices we'd be making would be worth it. You can use the money for a Dumo replacement and a scoring 3C that makes his line useful. It's asking a lot for Petts and POJ to be as good next year. Then there's also the 1B goalie route. That could end up being critical too. Jarry may be injury prone from here, or just be bad for a long stretch.

Meier would have to really score a ton to compensate for those things we're neglecting. A lot would have to go right. And that would be the case for the following year as well. It's a lot of pressure on him to maintain this form, and he may not have the chemistry he has in SJ on his line here.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Boston doesn’t make a lot of sense considering they have 4 million in LD waived in the minors.
Honestly as much as I've love to have him I know exactly how it would play out. POJ would get scratched or be involved in the trade, Dumo would keep playing, and I'd end up hating it because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany