Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap: Free Agency, everyone panic!!! Geno talk to the Geno thread only please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Off season time. New thread time apparently cause @Ugene Magic doesn’t like high page counts.

So how about them Malkin and Letang UFAs? Maybe we should sign one or both.

Geno thread. Keep Geno talk here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Magic

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
$7.3 according to this tweet

Yeah, that's an interesting buyout. I guess since Myers's salary is higher than cap hit, as well as his age directing a 1/3 buyout cost, the TBL save $617k this coming season. Next season it'll cost them $633k but that'll be covered by the increase in cap.

Interesting note is that Myers was initially signed by Hextall. If he could get his shit together/Reirden does his whispering, I could see him being a very good partner for Matheson or Pettersson or POJ. edit: probably not but I'd risk signing him to something small.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, that's an interesting buyout. I guess since Myers's salary is higher than cap hit, as well as his age directing a 1/3 buyout cost, the TBL save $617k this coming season. Next season it'll cost them $633k but that'll be covered by the increase in cap.

Interesting note is that Myers was initially signed by Hextall. If he could get his shit together/Reirden does his whispering, I could see him being a very good partner for Matheson or Pettersson or POJ.

And Myers has a $3.8 million salary this year because it would have put his minimum qualifying offer for 2023-2024 to be $3.8 million as well. But that actually backfired because the backloading causes the buyout bonus.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, it all comes down to what the team needs most- cap space? Serviceable players in the top 4? Picks to grab someone they have their eye on, or a young player they think can step up here?

We all know this team has tons of holes but I don't think we know how the team plans on fixing them.

I think there's always value for Pettersson, but it'd probably involve taking cap back.

Which I don't really want us to do. Unless the player is someone pretty cool.

And I am... skeptical about Pettersson's value. He feels like he should be hard to shift despite not being a bad player. But what the f*** do I know? It's why I wish I knew what Hextall's offers and phone calls were like here. Leaving aside that he's a stubborn patient cuss and what he's willing to do today and what he'll do come crunch time are two different things - is he holding onto Pettersson because he likes the guy and wants proper value? Then he's a moron. Is he holding into Pettersson because there's no trade offer that doesn't suck? Then I get it.

I don't really know what he thinks his needs are. Me, I'd like to see him shift some cap to keep the top 6 as strong as it was on paper at the end of the season, and make the team more physical. What Hextall wants... well, maybe we find out. This shouldn't be a quiet summer.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Myers is a fairly unique player and he never got his feet under him in Nashville, so I understand why Tampa would want to see what he can do. But at the same point, I really don't know why you're keeping him when his QO after next year is $3.8 million.

I guess you could say the same thing when the Penguins traded for Schultz back in 2016, and look at how that played out.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
You lied to me dogthateats, you lied to me.

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
They are making anything up on Pensburgh and HockeyBuzz about the Pens to try to get news what is really going on...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The new Eklund rumor is Letang to Tampa Bay, as if they have the money to do that :laugh:

I really don't understand Eklund. If you're pretending to be an insider, why wouldn't you post more logical speculation instead of just throwing shit at the wall? You can do that crazy speculation every now and then, but literally all he does is crazy speculation.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The new Eklund rumor is Letang to Tampa Bay, as if they have the money to do that :laugh:

I really don't understand Eklund. If you're pretending to be an insider, why wouldn't you post more logical speculation instead of just throwing shit at the wall? You can do that crazy speculation every now and then, but literally all he does is crazy speculation.
Not to be cyncial here, but why spend the time and effort to cultivate connections and be a responsible sports "journalist" when you can get paid just as much by making up nonsense for gullible idiots on the internet? It's easier and more profitable.

Same with DiPaoli or whoever.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not to be cyncial here, but why spend the time and effort to cultivate connections and be a responsible sports "journalist" when you can get paid just as much by making up nonsense for gullible idiots on the internet? It's easier and more profitable.

Same with DiPaoli or whoever.

Oh no, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying make the rumors more believable or more logical and he'd hit on more of them.

I don't even remember the last rumor that Eklund was correct on, because he only goes for the outlandish rumors.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh no, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying make the rumors more believable or more logical and he'd hit on more of them.

I don't even remember the last rumor that Eklund was correct on, because he only goes for the outlandish rumors.
I think the mistake is thinking he cares if he hits. He doesn't. He gets paid either way, so take the path of least resistance and let the suckers fleece themselves.

Maybe think of it this way too. He's running a scam, plain and simple, and like all scams, they benefit by not pretending to cater to people who are smart enough to see through them. You don't want to waste time or energy reaching them, you want the pure marks who will buy whatever you're putting down.

So, the dumber, the better, like a Nigerian prince scam.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I trust Dave Pagnotta and TFP , not sure who the Pens are looking at on Kings side ..

Iaffalo makes a lot of sense as a Zucker replacement at a more cost appropriate number. LA also has a lot of young players, someone like Lemieux could be appealing for the Penguins if they wanted to add some physicality.

It really depends on how LA values him. If they value him like a middle pair guy, Iaffalo for Pettersson is totally reasonable. If they value him as a depth guy, maybe you could get Lemieux for him.

Reactions: Jobeycool

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Why not? He survived getting axed this summer despite doing almost nothing for two years.

It takes fans and owners longer to realize he’s an idiot compared to more aggressive GMs. When you do almost nothing, it’s harder to criticize him for making poor decisions.

The only thing him staying around tells me is that FSG did not have enough time to do a comprehensive search of who the best replacement would be. So they can be comfortable that Burkie & Hexy aren't going to f**k things up too badly, and they can give it and year or two before making big, sweeping organizational changes if warranted.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Eklund was actually weirdly relevant last trade deadline. Got the Chiarot and Middleton trades iirc.

That said, I do respect his general approach of "screw plausibility, let' offer something so ridiculous people will talk about it".

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC

Smh people would rather believe Eklund than the real Kristopher Letang on HFboards. :facepalm:

I’M STAYING! e58

Eklund was actually weirdly relevant last trade deadline. Got the Chiarot and Middleton trades iirc.

That said, I do respect his general approach of "screw plausibility, let' offer something so ridiculous people will talk about it".
Chariot wasn’t hard to guess.. Also I’m 98% sure the french media (Renaud Lavoie) called it before him. Idk about Middleton tho

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Zucker and a 2nd to Arizona for Fischer, re-sign Fischer for $1 million
Pettersson to LA for Iaffalo
Re-sign Letang (5 years at $7.5 million AAV), Malkin (3 years at $7 million AAV), Rakell (6 years at $4.333 million AAV), Kapanen (1 year at $2.9 million), Heinen (1 year at $2.5 million) and POJ (2 years at $800k AAV)
Sign Holtby for 1 year at $2 million in UFA

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Iaffalo-Malkin-Rakell
Heinen-Carter-Kapanen
O'Connor-Blueger-McGinn
Zohorna-Fischer

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
POJ-Ruhwedel
Friedman

Jarry-Holtby

This team has $700k in cap space with these moves. I feel like this team is stronger than last year (upgraded goalie and 2nd line), plus you have a lot of roster flexibility for next off-season when you have a lot of money coming off the books.

Need to get rid of Kap/McGinn and upgrade that 3rd pairing.

Reactions: Pens x

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The only thing him staying around tells me is that FSG did not have enough time to do a comprehensive search of who the best replacement would be. So they can be comfortable that Burkie & Hexy aren't going to f**k things up too badly, and they can give it and year or two before making big, sweeping organizational changes if warranted.

FSG has no stakes in the actual hockey operations. They left it to those in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad