Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap: Free Agency, everyone panic!!! Geno talk to the Geno thread only please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Off season time. New thread time apparently cause @Ugene Magic doesn’t like high page counts.

So how about them Malkin and Letang UFAs? Maybe we should sign one or both.

Geno thread. Keep Geno talk here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Magic

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Dumo's vast swings of good vs. bad play should definitely be a bit of concern, especially as his skating deteriorates. This isn't to say he wouldn't be serviceable next year, merely that he's a UFA in a year, and has a lot of intangibles that would make him valuable around the league, so why not move him while he's still got some value?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus Dumo is the only guy with some size and weight to handle the front of the net. I'd be hard pressed to lose his abilities without replacing it in some fashion. Like, Replace Ruh with a bigger stay at home.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Dumo's vast swings of good vs. bad play should definitely be a bit of concern, especially as his skating deteriorates. This isn't to say he wouldn't be serviceable next year, merely that he's a UFA in a year, and has a lot of intangibles that would make him valuable around the league, so why not move him while he's still got some value?

Because this team should still be trying to win and selling off better players because they have value just makes the team worse.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly, deciding which one to move is likely not up to us: if the team is looking to cut salary somewhere on the blueline, those are the two most likely candidates and I suspect it would come down to the offers on the table for them.

Because this team should still be trying to win and selling off better players because they have value just makes the team worse.
I get that, but if you can use Dumo to pick up something else, then why not?

Like I said, I fully expect one to be gone at the end of the offseason, but which one it will be isn't so clear cut to me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would add that even when playing consistently well, Pettersson is about as vanilla as NHL dmen come apart from the part where you wish he was 20lbs heavier. That's not a player you chuck for no reason, but it's not one you pine after. This isn't like Matheson or Schultz having notable offensive skill if they can just be consistent, or Ceci bringing good size, where you think it might be worth persisting.

Being able to walk out on his 4m cap hit for nothing and replace him with a POJ vs Friedman death match, or a guy with some sort of meaningful physicality... I mean, honestly, I've just assumed that isn't possible.

That's essentially my issue with Pettersson. He doesn't really do one thing particularly well, he's just "ok" at a lot of stuff. At $4 million per year, you kind of want someone who kind of excels in a given area.

Given Pettersson's usage and what he brings to the table we're probably better off with a $2 million or less guy like Schenn or Bogosian in that bottom pairing 14-15 minute per night spot and use the extra cap space elsewhere.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I think Dumo will be our 3rd best LD next season.

They really should be moving one of the higher paid LD’s maybe 2 and try to bring in a better one although that’s easier said than done.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I get that, but if you can use Dumo to pick up something else, then why not?

Like I said, I fully expect one to be gone at the end of the offseason, but which one it will be isn't so clear cut to me.

If someone is willing to pay up for Dumo like it's the deadline and he's the flavour of the month, I'm listening.

If the price is a more modest return, I'm a lot less interested.

I'd also point out given how much fun clearing salary cap has been in this league over the past few years, Dumo being a pending UFA carries a value in itself right now. I'm not sure how much, but some.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If someone is willing to pay up for Dumo like it's the deadline and he's the flavour of the month, I'm listening.

If the price is a more modest return, I'm a lot less interested.

I'd also point out given how much fun clearing salary cap has been in this league over the past few years, Dumo being a pending UFA carries a value in itself right now. I'm not sure how much, but some.
Yeah, I'm honestly not sure who is the more valuable these days. Dumo has experience, he's a pending UFA, he's been a top flight guy for a long time. Pettersson is younger, skates better, but has a much longer, worse contract for a lesser player.

If I had to guess which one is the more moveable asset, I'd say Dumo, simply because I think this team would have traded Pettersson last year if they could.

So the question in my mind is: do you take the better return for the better player if it lets you do other moves, or do you pay to get rid of Pettersson?

Reactions: Peat

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I think moving Petts is actually the right call if you consider the different scenarios:

1. If Petts has a down year without Dumo, you're stuck with the contract as an albatross.

2. If Petts has a good year without Dumo, his ceiling is being worth 4M. So you're still just dealing with an OK value contract.

3. If Dumo has a bad or good year without Petts, and the team is on the outside, he's still playing 20 mins per night and you're at least recouping a 2nd or 1st (based on Chiarot, Savard, etc.)

4. If Dumo has a bad year without Petts, and the team is /good/, you can improve the LD via trade for a rental.

5. If Dumo has a good year and the team is good, you ride him out as an own rental and have an open slate to work with in the offseason.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I'm honestly not sure who is the more valuable these days. Dumo has experience, he's a pending UFA, he's been a top flight guy for a long time. Pettersson is younger, skates better, but has a much longer, worse contract for a lesser player.

If I had to guess which one is the more moveable asset, I'd say Dumo, simply because I think this team would have traded Pettersson last year if they could.

100%. As I said earlier, the idea Pettersson has positive value surprises me. You can move Dumo for something today. Which is part of why I'd like to move Pettersson if we can.

Tbh I'm happy to see both moved - completely unrealistic of course - but with Pettersson I wouldn't worry about the replacement at all, where as I would for Dumo, even if it seems like he's maybe in the beginning stages of a lower body injury death spiral.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
100%. As I said earlier, the idea Pettersson has positive value surprises me. You can move Dumo for something today. Which is part of why I'd like to move Pettersson if we can.

Tbh I'm happy to see both moved - completely unrealistic of course - but with Pettersson I wouldn't worry about the replacement at all, where as I would for Dumo, even if it seems like he's maybe in the beginning stages of a lower body injury death spiral.
I mean, it all comes down to what the team needs most- cap space? Serviceable players in the top 4? Picks to grab someone they have their eye on, or a young player they think can step up here?

We all know this team has tons of holes but I don't think we know how the team plans on fixing them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think there's always value for Pettersson, but it'd probably involve taking cap back.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Tampa FO knows how to do it right. They just gain about $4 mil in cap space trading McDonagh for Myers…the other D man is basically just an AHL player at this point…our GM needs to make moves like this for cap space but is stuck on value back…the cap space IS the value back…they also plan on buying Myers out for more cap space apparently as his salary increases the next season…they get a cap credit because his contract is backloaded…Tampa playing chess and teams let them get away with it lol

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I think Dumo will be our 3rd best LD next season.

They really should be moving one of the higher paid LD’s maybe 2 and try to bring in a better one although that’s easier said than done.
If Dumo is our third best LD, I don’t see that as a problem. He may not be a bonafide top pairing dman anymore, but he gets pretty heavily underrated here.

If we moved Petts and brought in a dman who could possibly mesh with Letang, that’d be a massive win. We’d be a better team with Dumo playing somewhere down the lineup rather than Petts if we have to pick just one.

100% agree we need to bring in a LD, any makeup of Math/Dumo/Petts/POJ/Friedman is not good enough.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Tampa FO knows how to do it right. They just gain about $4 mil in cap space trading McDonagh for Myers…the other D man is basically just an AHL player at this point…our GM needs to make moves like this for cap space but is stuck on value back…the cap space IS the value back…they also plan on buying Myers out for more cap space apparently as his salary increases the next season…they get a cap credit because his contract is backloaded…Tampa playing chess and teams let them get away with it lol
$7.3 according to this tweet

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It would be nice if we could somehow trade our underperforming overpaid cap hits instead of holding on to them because we're scared of change and in love with the idea that we're always just one bad bounce away from the Cup.
I think McDonagh had way more value than anybody who falls under that category

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker and a 2nd to Arizona for Fischer, re-sign Fischer for $1 million
Pettersson to LA for Iaffalo
Re-sign Letang (5 years at $7.5 million AAV), Malkin (3 years at $7 million AAV), Rakell (6 years at $4.333 million AAV), Kapanen (1 year at $2.9 million), Heinen (1 year at $2.5 million) and POJ (2 years at $800k AAV)
Sign Holtby for 1 year at $2 million in UFA

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Iaffalo-Malkin-Rakell
Heinen-Carter-Kapanen
O'Connor-Blueger-McGinn
Zohorna-Fischer

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
POJ-Ruhwedel
Friedman

Jarry-Holtby

This team has $700k in cap space with these moves. I feel like this team is stronger than last year (upgraded goalie and 2nd line), plus you have a lot of roster flexibility for next off-season when you have a lot of money coming off the books.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad