Post-Game Talk: Pens/Rangers: Cut & Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We have come back from behind in all 5 of our wins, 4 times trailing at the start of the third and once trailing 4-2 and having to kill a 5 on 3 in the second. Such a flawed team but this kind of resilience is still very nice to see (well, except if you think they need to lose more in order for Sully to get fired). Problem is, there aren't 3 on 3 OTs or shootouts in the playoffs. :)

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Let’s just agree to disagree. I really like Jake, but he too has been bad. I think the shoulder injury is an easy excuse to justify his poor play, that’s just me.

Would you be giving Geno a free pass this season if he suffered an injury over a year ago, or a player that you don’t care for?

Go Pens

Anytime a guy has a catastrophic injury, I’ll be defending his play a year later. Doesn’t matter if it’s Malkin or some fourth liner.

Guentzel has only played about a dozen games since he wrecked his shoulder.

Dude deserves a lot more time than that to figure it out.

It’s pretty obvious he’s playing tentative because of his shoulder. His game is based on playing with wreckless abandon and being fearless.

Hard to look like himself when that’s what made him so good.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would like to see the Pens win in regulation against a team that actually plays defense...when they beat the Isles or Boston or Philly in regulation, let me know...

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Anytime a guy has a catastrophic injury, I’ll be defending his play a year later. Doesn’t matter if it’s Malkin or some fourth liner.

But the flip side of that is that he’s only had to play in 13 games in 13 months, so he’s had plenty of rehabilitation and rest.

I’m sure he will figure it out sooner than later.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

It’s pretty obvious he’s playing tentative because of his shoulder. His game is based on playing with wreckless abandon and being fearless.

You aren't wrong

But what if we don't have two or three years for him to hone into whatever he's going to be if it's not a PPG power forward?

Injuries suck. Recoveries are hard. But I'm running a business not a feel good give people time center?

Signed, a devils advocate

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
But the flip side of that is that he’s only had to play in 13 games in 13 months, so he’s had plenty of rehabilitation and rest.

I’m sure he will figure it out sooner than later.

You claimed to have played the game, so it feels odd to explain that a dozen games isn’t shit.

It’s not rehab bro... it’s thinking you are going to pop out your shoulder and fighting the mental element.

Guentzel has always taken a pounding with his fearless style and scored goals that way, won puck battles, made crazy plays, etc.

He can’t just play a tentative game and be effective like he used to be.

You aren't wrong

But what if we don't have two or three years for him to hone into whatever he's going to be if it's not a PPG power forward?

Injuries suck. Recoveries are hard. But I'm running a business not a feel good give people time center?

Signed, a devils advocate

Are we talking about Guentzel still or...?

Two years ago he put up 76 and 40... last year he was doing even better before he blew out his shoulder.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
You claimed to have played the game, so it feels odd to explain that a dozen games isn’t shit.

It’s not rehab bro... it’s thinking you are going to pop out your shoulder and fighting the mental element.

Guentzel has always taken a pounding with his fearless style and scored goals that way, won puck battles, made crazy plays, etc.

He can’t just play a tentative game and be effective like he used to be.

Are we talking about Guentzel still or...?

Two years ago he put up 76 and 40... last year he was doing even better before he blew out his shoulder.

Lol I'm not even sure. I don't see who youre arguing with. Which is probably something you should consider doing do that poster lol

Reactions: Gurglesons

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lol I'm not even sure. I don't see who youre arguing with. Which is probably something you should consider doing do that poster lol

I’m way too lazy to use the ignore feature.

I just scan past certain posters I don’t care for and never reply to them, etc

Pens X obviously isn’t one of them for me, he and I get along - mostly.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
EkK80a7.png

CC @ColePens

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just realized that the highlight of HF Pens drama is going to happen when POJ gets benched as we get healthy. I'm excited for it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just realized that the highlight of HF Pens drama is going to happen when POJ gets benched as we get healthy. I'm excited for it.

If he gets benched and is still playing like this then I have no idea what Sullivan is thinking and I've been saying that a lot for like two years, now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If he gets benched and is still playing like this then I have no idea what Sullivan is thinking and I've been saying that a lot for like two years, now.

Im all for giving young D-men the necessary time to develop. But with the way the season is this year, just play him. Shelter him when we get healthy if necessary.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think it will happen, no. And I have little faith left in Sullivan.

Like MPP said if/when the D gets healthier just bump him down and give him more sheltered/opportune minutes.

Provided he generally keeps up this high level of play.

A defenseman performing at a high level out of nowhere is a gift even this coaching staff wouldn't spurn out of ego/being cute. Similar to Marino's situation. Who, by the way, I am anxious to see play on his correct side. One of the few positive things that can be said about Letang going down with injury.

Reactions: Peat

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think it will happen, no. And I have little faith left in Sullivan.

Like MPP said if/when the D gets healthier just bump him down and give him more sheltered/opportune minutes.

Provided he generally keeps up this high level of play.

A defenseman performing at a high level out of nowhere is a gift even this coaching staff wouldn't spurn out of ego/being cute. Similar to Marino's situation. Who, by the way, I am anxious to see play on his correct side. One of the few positive things that can be said about Letang going down with injury.

Coaches tend to give a shit load of leash to young guys who think the game well and make good decisions. It’s not like POJ is some one dimensional winger.

If he hits a rookie wall, so be it. But with the shortened season and the unlikely possibility of a long playoff run, I think that’s unlikely to happen.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah exactly if he was some hotshot young wing that sniped a few on his callup I might be prepared for a HS not long down the line but coaches trust defensemen who perform way more because it's such a pressure cooker position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad