Post-Game Talk: Pens/Rangers: Cut & Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Dumo used to be a "steadying" presence compared to...well, his partner. Lacking the operatic highs and the sheer level of 5-on-5 impact, but...you felt better with him out there. Now? He's looked skittish and decidedly not stable and steady out there. His decision making with the puck is mystifying.

I'd of course love to have him right now because our D is so short-handed but with Petts and Riikola (+Matheson maybe) in addition to POJ? Would have no qualms with moving on.
I really don't understand his decision making this year either. He'll hold on to the puck and I'll think "oh he's showing patience and going to make a smart play." Dumo then proceeds to feebly sweep the puck at 10mph right to the other team.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
As ...weirdly they've played so far, they're 5-1-1 in their last 7 games. That's pretty neat!

That is crazy but you are right. Doing that with our whole defense on the self is just nuts. 5-1-1 in the last 7 games! That is nuts but true. What is even more impressive about that is those losses both came in Boston which is a place we haven't won since 2014. So pretty much won every game we could of expected to win and even stole a point in Boston that doesn't happen often. Good thing Boston hasn't won in Pittsburgh since 2015. Plus beating the Caps twice which are the top team in the standings at this time also makes that 5-1-1 last 7 games that much more incredible.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
POJ already is our top scoring D after like four games lol.

I was right about Weber and only 12 minutes. That was even with Letang only playing 5 minutes. Scary Weber minus 2 and last game Czuczman -2. We can't even shelter those 2. Really don't know what we can do to make this work.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
It'd be funny if they kept playing terrible hockey all year and just kept winning like this somehow.

I just keep cracking up at this... Man if we won the Stanley Cup playing like this the whole year but somehow kept pulling out OT wins... hahaha....

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I just keep cracking up at this... Man if we won the Stanley Cup playing like this the whole year but somehow kept pulling out OT wins... hahaha....

Pretty much what happened in 2017 against Washington, except they got even better chances against us and Fleury kept saving them.

++ POJ - he may have three first names but he's crushing it so far. Have to pay more attention to his defensive game next game but his skating and puck handling is superb.
+ Kap - continues to score. Hasn't had many shots but he's made the most of them. Causes at least one or two turnovers out of nowhere every game. If his decision making can hold up and Sully can get his head out of his ass he could be great.
+ Zucker, Tanev

- Injured Tanger. Looked like an ankle or jammed knee or something, hopefully it's just a little twist and he's only out a couple games. Only positive is that we'd finally see Marino back on the right side, pretty good odds he "suddenly" starts to look better when that happens.

------- Sully. Play the damn 2016 system Sully, we suck at passive defense and Mike Johnston already proved we couldn't generate offense from below the dots years ago. Do it. Doooooo it or get fired already.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We passed the gut check again. It's weird how cool, calm and collected we play in OTs as opposed to most of the games when it's 5 on 5. Kap-Geno-Zucker building some chemistry is nice to see but I would like to see it against a team that actually plays defence. Line 1 was pretty bad for most of the game but came through in the end. Blueger and Tanev... what can you say? All you can ask from your bottom sixers and then some more.
Considering the injuries on D, Sid and Geno looking nowhere near superstar or even star level and the bad goaltending, it's downright miraculous that we keep getting points. Especially with the way Marino almost managed to lose the game by himself with dumb penalties and a dumb turnover that led to a shorty. Good thing POJ has been a revelation. In the long run it might be better not to get points though, gut check can only get you so far when your coach gets outcoached so often.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re Dumo and his struggles - it's not even like they're coming from skating like you'd expect from a guy with a maybe not totally healed ankle. The problem is decision making and his hands. And I think that might just be a short training camp thing, but it's something to watch closely.

Also, I must agree with everyone saying Guentzel's just off.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Re Dumo and his struggles - it's not even like they're coming from skating like you'd expect from a guy with a maybe not totally healed ankle. The problem is decision making and his hands. And I think that might just be a short training camp thing, but it's something to watch closely.

Also, I must agree with everyone saying Guentzel's just off.
I was told by the medical experts of HFboards that his poor play can attributed to his shoulder still recovering.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Amazingly enough Sid and Geno together have as many 5 on 5 points as Teddy Blueger (5) and are yet to score a single goal 5 on 5. Imagine what would happen if at least one of them picked it up 5 on 5...

And to make it even weirder Geno has zero PIM.

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was told by the medical experts of HFboards that his poor play can attributed to his shoulder still recovering.

That’s weird, I was told by the Hfboards experts that never laced up a skate in their lives, completely blown out shoulders are easy to overcome and you don’t ever think about it on the ice...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That’s weird, I was told by the Hfboards experts that never laced up a skate in their lives, completely blown out shoulders are easy to overcome and you don’t ever think about it on the ice...
Who said I never played hockey, bruh? I just don’t live in the past since I stopped playing when I graduated from high school in 2002. My college only had a club team, practices were at awful times, and I knew I wanted to study aboard second year on Barcelona.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Cool story, bro.
You are the one that said I had no right to an opinion because I’ve never laced them up. I’m just letting you know I played, which doesn’t make me any more or less qualified to criticize Jake Guentzel. Come off your high horse, friend.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Why didn’t you know this @LOGiK

You’re Polish, yeah?

KDGwfe4_d.webp

Oh I'm polish all right.

I only know words by speaking only. My grandmother tried to teach me written but as a kid I showed little interest after I struggled remembering the soundings and trill... but what I do know it's all verbal and I don't know how to spell it, haha.

It makes me mad too... I really wish I did learn it, but then who would I speak to? It would be like having a secret language with my grandmother... But I already have a secret language... ASL... but that is with wifey and child =P

(I thought this was an OT thread, =P )

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You are the one that said I had no right to an opinion because I’ve never laced them up. I’m just letting you know I played, which doesn’t make me any more or less qualified to criticize Jake Guentzel. Come off your high horse, friend.

The guy pretending shoulder injuries aren’t a big deal is trying to lecture others about their high horse?

You can’t be serious.

If you indeed ever played, which I honestly doubt, you would never be making light of an injury like what Guentzel had.

I’ve yet to run across a single hockey player who doesn’t understand what a wrecked shoulder does to your game, both physically and mentally.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The guy pretending shoulder injuries aren’t a big deal is trying to lecture others about their high horse?

You can’t be serious.

If you indeed ever played, which I honestly doubt, you would never be making light of an injury like what Guentzel had.

I’ve yet to run across a single hockey player who doesn’t understand what a wrecked shoulder does to your game, both physically and mentally.
Let’s just agree to disagree. I really like Jake, but he too has been bad. I think the shoulder injury is an easy excuse to justify his poor play, that’s just me.

Would you be giving Geno a free pass this season if he suffered an injury over a year ago, or a player that you don’t care for?

Go Pens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad