GDT: Pens Playoff Push: Hold on to your butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
People keep asking how long the fans will drink the Kool-aid that the Pens are just a couple of players away from contending.

It is the wrong question.

How long will Crosby and the key players who still could be competing for a Cup continue to drink the Kool-aid and believe that the Pens are just a couple of players away from contending?

That is the right question.

Because at that point they will want out.
I think we're at the point it's really "so what". If they want to go, we let them go. It's not like we are going to get a king's ransom for them because the players will dictate exactly where they will go. Status quo is dying by a thousand papercuts.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
On one hand screw Boston for being the main reason the Capitals made it. On the other it would be really funny if the Leafs lost to them again.
ee916af0-d741-414e-9225-e809fdc49ecf_text.gif

After an atrocious PP, and lack of secondary/depth scoring for the majority of the season.
Thanks for almost pulling off a late run Pens.

Chocking sure-bet leads into the ground endlessly, clueless "defensemen" (Graves), Letang's brain cramps happening more often, and EK hurting much more than he adds.
DAjG5c.gif

Despite the season outcome, there were bright spots:
drake-pointing.gif

Just need to flush an extremely backed-up toilet first:
GJH7HhdXwAA_NK1

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's more likely that Dubas would decide to sell more pieces than him to make a panic trade in response to them getting close to a playoff spot this year. I'm not going to say "he's going to definitely make good moves", but I'm not particularly worried about him doing something super aggressive and dumb like JR used to do.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He traded Jake Guentzel for Michael Bunting.

This idea that Dubas is going to be shrewd with assets when he's moved multiple picks for Erik Karlsson and blew up our best trade piece for Michael Bunting is insane lol.
JR was/is a huge dumbass and somehow lucked his way into some good moves with the Pens so ya never know

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it's more likely that Dubas would decide to sell more pieces than him to make a panic trade in response to them getting close to a playoff spot this year. I'm not going to say "he's going to definitely make good moves", but I'm not particularly worried about him doing something super aggressive and dumb like JR used to do.

I think you are kidding yourself.

They are going to make a ton of win now signings and trades including giving Crosby 10 mil x 3 or something absurd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you are kidding yourself.

They are going to make a ton of win now signings and trades including giving Crosby 10 mil x 3 or something absurd.

I just don't see them pivoting from selling Guentzel to this just because they had a hot streak to end the year. They will make moves based on the idea of "retooling while remaining competitive", but I can't see them doing anything insanely aggressive or insanely expensive in terms of futures.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I just don't see them pivoting from selling Guentzel to this just because they had a hot streak to end the year. They will make moves based on the idea of "retooling while remaining competitive", but I can't see them doing anything insanely aggressive or insanely expensive in terms of futures.

They traded Jake Guentzel for a win now player. That had no other option than to move him.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They traded Jake Guentzel for a win now player. That had no other option than to move him.

They traded Guentzel for a win-now player plus a conditional 1st (that probably ends up a 2nd) and 3 prospects. Again, that lines up with "retooling while remaining competitive".

I could absolutely see Dubas handing out some bad UFA contracts, but that's about as far as I can reasonably see him go in terms of "moves that won't age well". I don't think there's any chance that the 2025 1st, Pickering, Yager or the prospects from the Guentzel trade get moved, and pretty much everything beyond that doesn't move the needle.

Reactions: DoktorZaius

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The Caps are going to trap their way to a series win over the Rangers…watch it happen..I won’t be because the hockey will be shot but it’s gonna happen lol
That wouldn’t be so bad cause the Rangers are unbearable, but I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They traded Guentzel for a win-now player plus a conditional 1st (that probably ends up a 2nd) and 3 prospects. Again, that lines up with "retooling while remaining competitive".

I could absolutely see Dubas handing out some bad UFA contracts, but that's about as far as I can reasonably see him go in terms of "moves that won't age well". I don't think there's any chance that the 2025 1st, Pickering, Yager or the prospects from the Guentzel trade get moved, and pretty much everything beyond that doesn't move the needle.

“We've gotten more assets now to get involved in conversations that we couldn't get involved with when it comes to trades for younger players. That was our goal here exiting the deadline."

I swear people just create their own narratives in hope that Dubas isn’t Dubas.

I saw someone saying Dubas is secretly making the Penguins mediocre on purpose recently.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Interest in this team for me this summer is at an all time low. Burnt through our cap space for Bunting. No 1st rounder. Likely retaining our coach and Jarry and Graves.

Dubas slammed the door shut with his season.
I recommend ignoring them all summer, checking in early September with an hour or two of research, and going from there. Otherwise enjoy your summer.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
“We've gotten more assets now to get involved in conversations that we couldn't get involved with when it comes to trades for younger players. That was our goal here exiting the deadline."

I swear people just create their own narratives in hope that Dubas isn’t Dubas.

I saw someone saying Dubas is secretly making the Penguins mediocre on purpose recently.

Of course he's going to say that, what is he supposed to say to the media? "We suck and were going to do nothing this year, so we wanted to get value for Guentzel before he walked for nothing".

Do I think that he'd go after young players with term in the trade market? Yeah, of course. I still don't see any reason to think he'd be hyper aggressive and go way too far in doing that. I could absolutely see him throwing around something like Broz and a 2nd for a young NHLer, but I really doubt he moves any of their top pieces in that kind of deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Of course he's going to say that, what is he supposed to say to the media? "We suck and were going to do nothing this year, so we wanted to get value for Guentzel before he walked for nothing".

Do I think that he'd go after young players with term in the trade market? Yeah, of course. I still don't see any reason to think he'd be hyper aggressive and go way too far in doing that.

Because that is the expectation when he re-signs Sidney Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad