Post-Game Talk: Pens/Panthers...Because we close GDTs before putting up post-games for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I just want someone to tell me what progress they see in this team. We are playing UGLY hockey. We win on talent (just like MT when the players stopped buying in) and we lose and make it look ****ing ugly. The Colorado game was one of the few losses where I'm like "Yeah.. but I saw the team playing a strategy and working hard." The last 30 games have been very ugly.

So RRP and other followers: What progress do you see in this team that keeps you so optimistic? I know we have epic skill... but what optimism. Tell me something so I can join ya. What are they doing on the ice that makes you say "Yup... that works."

I heard Ken Hitchcock talking how its really hard for coaches on cup contending teams to keep there players motivated this time of year, at the beginning of the year the players are motivated to start the season, at the end of the year the players are getting ready for the playoffs. Right now is like the dog days of a hockey season.

I think after the Olympic break you will start to see the pens playing more structured hockey as they get ready for the playoffs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I heard Ken Hitchcock talking how its really hard for coaches on cup contending teams to keep there players motivated this time of year, at the beginning of the year the players are motivated to start the season, at the end of the year the players are getting ready for the playoffs. Right now is like the dog days of a hockey season.

I think after the Olympic break you will start to see the pens playing more structured hockey as they get ready for the playoffs.

This team needs to build good habits. Not feel they can get by on skill and just suddenly start playing smart hockey a few weeks before playoffs.

DB needs to be hammering that point home. And it doesn't seem like it's getting through.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I think there are systematic (systemic?) issues with the Penguins, but I do think many of those issues would be fixed if players' jobs weren't guaranteed.

I think you probably mean systemic, and I meant systematic :)

I don't really have a firm opinion on the type of accountability that I think you are talking about. In my experience (not hockey but other sports), most players know when they are failing, and many of them try just about anything to make their play better. That doesn't mean that the players are immediately successful or successful at all.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think if the team stays healthy, they'll eventually pull it all back together. The issue is that with all the injuries there are too many excuses. If the team stays healthy it will be clear as day whether its a rust and chemistry thing or a coaching and effort thing. Healthy, good teams go through slumps too, hopefully we'll work our way out of ours.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This team needs to build good habits. Not feel they can get by on skill and just suddenly start playing smart hockey a few weeks before playoffs.

DB needs to be hammering that point home. And it doesn't seem like it's getting through.

Yeah that would be nice, but they will have about 25 games left after the Olympic break , that's plenty of time to start playing solid hockey going into the playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

That story would be fine except for two things:

1. The past history in the playoffs where coaches easily shut down Bylsma's system and like a guy who after a shower stuck his dick into a light socket and got shocked Bylsma kept sticking his wet dick into a light socket over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and again, thinking that THIS is the time it will work. It never occured to him to maybe try something else.

2. I could take even a lot of losses if the Pens were working on something that worked in the playoffs. Instead their dicks keep going into the light socket. And just like in other years, where they did ok during the regular season, just because their dick in the light socket routine does not get them shocked in the regular season, they think that everything is ok. They never realize that the electricity does not get turned on until the playoffs.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think there are systematic (systemic?) issues with the Penguins, but I do think many of those issues would be fixed if players' jobs weren't guaranteed.

Also just playing the superior players that they have available. But yeah, so many players having guaranteed spots and minutes is a problem and ridiculous. 4th liners should never have a guaranteed spot.

Tanner ****ing Glass never should have been sure he would have his spot back. Kobasew never should have gotten his back. Adams shouldn't play at all but he should be afraid of taking a stupid penalty. Orpik should be worried about ending up on the third pairing or scratched for his pathetic displays. Letang should be worried about losing responsibilities or minutes. Dupuis should have been off the first line much earlier than he was and then not allowed back. etc.

Sill > Gladams and Kobasew
Engelland on wing > Gladams and Kobasew
Megna > Gladams, Kobasew and whoever
Despres (and arguably Bortuzzo) > Orpik, I don't think effort will fix that
Despres/Bortuzzo > Engelland on defense
Vitale > Gladams and Kobasew
Gibbons > Gladams and Kobasew
Pyatt > Gladams and Kobasew
Call ups > Gladams and Kobasew

Yet Gladams have a permanent spot, Orpik does whatever he wants without consequences and Kobasew just played a game. It's so incredibly illogical but it's an unholy combination of complacency and players just sucking. They've reached a point where the player situation is a bigger concern than the system. The bottom 6 is full of players who can't follow the system, Letang is just an idiot and who knows what the hell is Orpik being incapable and what's Orpik being stupid/lazy.

You know, it might be time to start wondering if part of the reason the call ups perform so well because they haven't been a part of this culture. They've actually had structure and effort instilled in them.

Clearing out a PVR after someone accidentally adds some things, and you don't check for awhile, is horrible. FML.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah that would be nice, but they will have about 25 games left after the Olympic break , that's plenty of time to start playing solid hockey going into the playoffs.

Sounds alot like the 2012 Pens. I broke up with my ex that year. And am now getting back together. Maybe we'll both be successful this time around.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sounds alot like the 2012 Pens. I broke up with my ex that year. And am now getting back together. Maybe we'll both be successful this time around.

In 2012 pens were playing there best hockey around now, then they started to have problems at the end of the year going into the playoffs.

I actually think this years Ducks will end up being like the 2012 pens this year.

Good news for the pens is that they haven't played anywhere near there best hockey yet, which i think is a very good thing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
In 2012 pens were playing there best hockey around now, then they started to have problems at the end of the year going into the playoffs.

I actually think this years Ducks will end up being like the 2012 pens this year.

Good news for the pens is that they haven't played anywhere near there best hockey yet, which i think is a very good thing.

I would hope this isn't their best. But point taken.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Bruce Boudreau is better at coaching than a lot of coaches.

Thank you. Boudreau got more out of these pretty but shoddy Caps rosters than anyone else to date, and ooh look he's got the Ducks playing like a buzz saw, and their main pieces are pretty much the same as when they were only a decent team. Taking jabs at Boudreaux just looks tacky these days if you've been paying attention.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It seems that when this team loses, they get hammered. The Colorado game is the only loss I can recall this season where I thought they deserved a better fate. Almost every loss, as far as I can recall, was one where the team didn't just play mediocre hockey, they played horrible hockey and deserved to get run out of the building.

Then again, a lot of their wins are the same. Play lousy for 30 to 40 minutes, but have a spurt in there where they dominate for about 20 minutes to pull off a close win. Or they play lousy, but just so happen to be playing a team equally as lousy and "out talent" the team for a win (ie. Calgary and Washington games).

This team simply doesn't look as good on the ice as their record would suggest they are. When you watch the Blues, the Hawks, the Bruins, the Ducks, etc., 90% of the games you can see why they have the record they have. With the Pens, it's difficult to fathom how they actually have the record they have based on their performance in a large portion of games this year.

Michael8771*

Thank you. Boudreau got more out of these pretty but shoddy Caps rosters than anyone else to date, and ooh look he's got the Ducks playing like a buzz saw, and their main pieces are pretty much the same as when they were only a decent team. Taking jabs at Boudreaux just looks tacky these days if you've been paying attention.
Agreed, I'd easily swap him and DB. I would have signed up for that two years ago to be honest.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Maybe you're the guy who doesn't see how mistakes made in the regular season foreshadow mistakes in the POs?

I've just learned to accept that, no matter how much we complain about things, they aren't gonna change, so why bother worrying about it.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Tonight's shorthanded goal was not Letang's fault at all.

Indeed, it might even be said that it was no-one's fault in particular, but if it was the fault of anyone, it was probably the forward who should fall back to cover when Malkin moved up to take the shot that Clemmensen kicked to the wall.

Letang played that one like he should.

Overall the numbers do suggest a major let-up as regards scoring since he came back however (which means more than Malkin's return in so far as the PP was great with Malkin and no Letang earlier in the season) and the shortie against Vancouver was certainly on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad