Pre-Game Talk: Pens Oilers at 6 PM on a Monday night. Thanks NHL Schedule Maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Migrating to reddit maybe?
Or the other nether region which will go unmentioned where everybody reacts and are traumatized all day long.. Hard to say. For those not using adblockers hf has been steadily harder to use and I hear especially with tech devices and all the load and stuff. I would say the boards are definitely bleeding members. Not sure what other hot boards are out there. This board doesn't have a good rep on social media which flames everything. But then all blogs, media, analysts get flamed too. But the ironic consensus on reddit seems to be we're all a bunch of village idiots here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, it just feels theres less excitement and enthusiasm for the team.

Even myself, I'm still posting and I still care, but it does feel a bit waning to me. But my real life has changed recently, so that might be part of it.

One thing that really bothers me lately about the NHL/team is just how everything feels like a cash grab. Feels like its more and more about making money and less about the product. All of the gambling stuff is a pretty big turn off. The commercials are one thing. But having betting segments within Sportsnet just feels wrong. Now we have digital boards. Ads on helmets. Ads on some jerseys. Oilers plus subscriptions. etc.

The media also just sucks as an Oilers fan. Its nauseating just sorting your way through it, if you're not a Leafs and Flames fan.
Probably people digging down in life after pandemic getting back to working a lot, looking after other aspects. Roll up sleeves time I guess. I really don't know as its business as usual for me. ;) Which is to say finally not up to much. Worked over 40yrs for this. I'll take it. heh

Definitely see a trend where people are turning off the sports, getting off cable, and sports tends to be a cable related dinosaur. NHL certainly way behind the ball on quality and convenience of streaming apps. With all kinds of other entertainment being available probably less people are learning to even bother with sports. I've postulated that pro sports is going to experience contraction over next 10-20yrs as people increasingly see ticket prices as beyond their comfort level. Pandemics and economic calamity usually result in a decade of uncertainty and uncertain spending

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
It's so weird. I have no anticipation for this game. Just going to turn it on when it comes on. Not caring about lines or anything.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers have had the 3rd toughest schedule so far (based on their opponents goals differential so far this year) and overall the Oilers are 9th overall in the Simple rating system (source: https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2023.html ..... which takes into account their results plus the strength of their opponents so far):

Rk​
SRS▼​
SOS​
1​
Buffalo Sabres​
2.81​
0.61​
2​
Pittsburgh Penguins​
2.5​
-0.5​
3​
Dallas Stars​
2.1​
-0.3​
4​
St. Louis Blues​
1.88​
-0.12​
5​
Calgary Flames​
1.63​
1.23​
6​
Ottawa Senators​
1.54​
0.54​
7​
Vegas Golden Knights​
1.04​
0.04​
8​
Carolina Hurricanes​
0.96​
-0.04​
9​
Edmonton Oilers​
0.91​
1.11​
10​
Toronto Maple Leafs​
0.86​
0.36​
11​
Detroit Red Wings​
0.86​
-0.74​
12​
Florida Panthers​
0.73​
0.39​
13​
Boston Bruins​
0.65​
-0.68​
14​
Montreal Canadiens​
0.45​
0.79​
15​
Colorado Avalanche​
0.44​
-0.06​
16​
Chicago Blackhawks​
0.23​
0.03​
17​
Tampa Bay Lightning​
-0.03​
0.14​
18​
Washington Capitals​
-0.21​
0.13​
19​
Philadelphia Flyers​
-0.26​
-0.76​
20​
Winnipeg Jets​
-0.35​
0.65​
21​
New York Islanders​
-0.41​
-0.57​
22​
Columbus Blue Jackets​
-0.55​
0.16​
23​
Seattle Kraken​
-0.72​
0.14​
24​
New Jersey Devils​
-0.78​
-0.78​
25​
Los Angeles Kings​
-0.99​
0.01​
26​
New York Rangers​
-1.2​
-1.2​
27​
Nashville Predators​
-1.22​
-0.08​
28​
Arizona Coyotes​
-1.4​
1.2​
29​
San Jose Sharks​
-1.49​
-0.49​
30​
Vancouver Canucks​
-1.74​
0.09​
31​
Minnesota Wild​
-2.17​
-0.57​
32​
Anaheim Ducks​
-2.6​
-0.27​

Oilers have had a mediocre start so far... but their opponents collectively have been a tough group.. and that continues with current #2 Pittsburgh tonight... and then current #4 St Louis on Wednesday.
As you've mentioned before though this is just stats for the sake of it with such limited data sample. Buffalo being on top of list is a textbook example of unlikely sustainable results. Meanwhile SC finalists are far far down the list. This is statistical noise at this point. Maybe some cream settling at top. But it resembles a random distribution.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s my 35th birthday today.

Can the oilers please not suck today???
Happy B day to you!

Young whippersnapper. heh

Wait till you have to think about it a bit to remember how old you are. Lol that some people I know get their age wrong regularly. Not sure if on purpose..

At my age candles on a cake is an incendiary device.

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Buffalo wouldn’t fall under that but they are off to a red hot start. We should have beat them. Probably our best game.
Hot goalies happen. I agree Buffalo was our best game. Teams don't always win when they play their best though. Otherwise, why play the games?

Its frustrating, but over the course of the season if they keep playing like they did against Buffalo they are going to win a lot of more games than they lose.

Happy B day to you!

Wait till you have to think about it a bit to remember how old you are. Lol that some people I know get their age wrong regularly. Not sure if on purpose..

Im turning 37 this May and just this week I thought it was 2021. IM already at that point. especially with my anxiety disorder wrecking havoc on me this year and almost disabling me ( lost my dad and dog this past year within 3 months of each other) So with all that stress I feel like ive aged 20 years in 6 months.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Not a must win, but kind of?
Homestand hasn't been great, still a young season though.

I remember in 2017-18 we didn't see 0.500 or over 0.500 the whole season after that first win against the Flames (3-0 McDavid hat trick). So I certainly hope we find our groove soon, because chasing is in a season can turn exhausting real fast. So far we haven't seen a "final 4" level of play.

Let's get that W today. And start pacing ourselves well above 0.500 the rest of the way.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hot goalies happen. I agree Buffalo was our best game. Teams don't always win when they play their best though. Otherwise, why play the games?

Its frustrating, but over the course of the season if they keep playing like they did against Buffalo they are going to win a lot of more games than they lose.

Im turning 37 this May and just this week I thought it was 2021. IM already at that point. especially with my anxiety disorder wrecking havoc on me this year and almost disabling me ( lost my dad and dog this past year within 3 months of each other) So with all that stress I feel like ive aged 20 years in 6 months.
Sorry to hear of all your loss. FWIW I've had times like that in life, about a couple segments where I lost people, pets, and oddly always seems to occur at the same time. Hang in there bro. Seems odd but my usual way of dealing was keeping busy with work and other things.

You went to a game the other day. Sounds like you're trying to do things and keep active and getting out. Its good stuff to do. Its a time you don't want to be alone a lot.

I've struggled with anxiety disorder in life at different times as well. If you ever want to talk feel free.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Monday night games should be reserved for the Edmonton - Minnesota games we all hate but we gotta play because for some reason we have to play Minnesota as many times as the Flames.

51v8j8FpGRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As you've mentioned before though this is just stats for the sake of it with such limited data sample. Buffalo being on top of list is a textbook example of unlikely sustainable results. Meanwhile SC finalists are far far down the list. This is statistical noise at this point. Maybe some cream settling at top. But it resembles a random distribution.
It's noise over a season but not in terms of how teams are playing at the moment. Teams go on streaks. Right now the teams the Oilers have played have been playing very well. Buffalo may not sustain their play, but at this point they are playing very well. Their only loss was a 1-goal game to Florida where the difference was the pp.

I hope that things turn around for you soon. Maybe the Oilers can go on a bit of a streak and bring a tiny bit of good news for you.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's noise over a season but not in terms of how teams are playing at the moment. Teams go on streaks. Right now the teams the Oilers have played have been playing very well. Buffalo may not sustain their play, but at this point they are playing very well. Their only loss was a 1-goal game to Florida where the difference was the pp.
Each game we lose is part of that streak that teams are on. I get your point. But still so early to make much out of schedule. When the season started I felt that the Oil were the strong team on the schedule. I still think they get there but not as dominant as I originally thought they could be.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Fourth line will probably just be Shore and Ryan ... and they will probably swap other forwards in. They likely wont play much unless the team is up early.

Edit: Maybe if Holloway is back they run 12 and 6.
Gotcha, thanks. I mean if McD can take multiple Center shifts why not eh?

Guy is young enough to play 25 min a night

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Definitely small sample size (which is pretty much unavoidable when so few games have been played this season). The results of those stats are volatile and will jump around a lot as teams win/lose games so no doubt things change a lot daily.

Saying that... last season's results are not gospel either and there's certainly going to be some teams that were great last year than will suck this year (hopefully not the Oilers)... and visa versa, some teams will definitely surprise to the upside this year.

It's quite possible Buffalo/Detroit/Ottawa for example may not be a mirage... but may actually be teams pushing hard for a playoff spot this year... so just the fact they were crap last year doesn't mean they are this year as well.

Alternative stats (possibly slightly more accurate because they are based on composite stats using several ranking methods to rate teams):

1 Pittsburgh Penguins​
4.63​
2 Colorado Avalanche​
4.51​
3 Toronto Maple Leafs​
4.46​
4 Calgary Flames​
4.43​
5 Carolina Hurricanes​
4.42​
6 Dallas Stars​
4.42​
7 Florida Panthers​
4.39​
8 Vegas Golden Knights​
4.34​
9 St. Louis Blues​
4.34​
10 Tampa Bay Lightning​
4.3​
11 Boston Bruins​
4.29​
12 Edmonton Oilers​
4.22​
13 Buffalo Sabres​
4.11​
14 Ottawa Senators​
4.1​
15 New York Rangers​
4.07​
16 Detroit Red Wings​
4.02​
17 Washington Capitals​
4.02​
18 Los Angeles Kings​
3.96​
19 New York Islanders​
3.95​
20 New Jersey Devils​
3.91​
21 Minnesota Wild​
3.89​
22 Winnipeg Jets​
3.84​
23 Philadelphia Flyers​
3.78​
24 Nashville Predators​
3.77​
25 Seattle Kraken​
3.65​
26 Columbus Blue Jackets​
3.63​
27 Vancouver Canucks​
3.61​
28 Montreal Canadiens​
3.53​
29 Chicago Blackhawks​
3.52​
30 San Jose Sharks​
3.44​
31 Anaheim Ducks​
3.34​
32 Arizona Coyotes​
3.1​

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Know how you feel - hang in there.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Outside of being at home this has not been a soft schedule.
The Canes were the only team coming in that I would deem to be better than the Oilers. The Canucks and Sabres are non-playoff teams and while the Blues are still a good playoff team, we've shown we can beat them. We usually make life hell for the Flames at home but not this time. We beat the Pens both times last year in convincing fashion. No reason to lose this time.

I think the Oilers are the second best team in the West behind only the defending Champs. You'll get goalie'd some times but this team has too much offensive firepower, especially seeing as we trailed last game by a single goal for the majority of it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I just noticed that Janmark hasn't played a single game yet for Bakersfield.

Is he refusing to play down there?

Has the team stuck him in some sort of limbo land where they don't want to "embarrass" him by subjecting him to AHL games because he's clearly an NHL player and he's just a paper transaction down to the AHL?

Is Janmark nursing an "injury" of some sort?

EDIT:

I think I answered my own question by looking around on Twitter... might be that he was waiting for a work visa and apparently that's getting sorted out soon and he should play "soonish".

Hopefully Kostin gets his work visa for Canada sorted out soon as well.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Happy B day to you!

Hahahaa. I do have to pee more frequently now

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Each game we lose is part of that streak that teams are on. I get your point. But still so early to make much out of schedule. When the season started I felt that the Oil were the strong team on the schedule. I still think they get there but not as dominant as I originally thought they could be.
Take out the Oilers games and the teams are 11-2-1. Bufallo lost 4-3 to Florida, Calgary lost to Buffalo and Carolina lost in OT to Calgary. St. Louis is undefeated. So if you exclude the games, they played vs one another those 4 teams have only lost on game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad