Pens Off day/season thread “Useless information edition”

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
When I was at baggage claim today someone was there getting their hockey sticks. And they had a bag with a Coyotes logo on it.

I don't think it was Galchenyuk. Maybe someone on WBS that was with the Coyotes last season?
If it wasn't Gally, I have no idea.

I don't think anyone playing in WBS was with the Coyotes org, aside from Joseph who was still in juniors last season. Maybe one of the player dev/coaches spent some time with the Coyotes? Maybe someone coming to train in town with friends before camp?

Maybe Phil changed his mind. :help::laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
When I was at baggage claim today someone was there getting their hockey sticks. And they had a bag with a Coyotes logo on it.

I don't think it was Galchenyuk. Maybe someone on WBS that was with the Coyotes last season?

Also believe one Beau Bennett is a Coyote now...
Im guessing him or POJ was the person if it wasnt Chucky or Phil.
That or some random Coyote that trains here.
I know they ran some summer skates at UPMC66 that had like Saad, Gibson, Trocheck and others before.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also believe one Beau Bennett is a Coyote now...
Im guessing him or POJ was the person if it wasnt Chucky or Phil.
That or some random Coyote that trains here.
I know they ran some summer skates at UPMC66 that had like Saad, Gibson, Trocheck and others before.
I will always feel bad for Beau. He was a kid that had talent, but getting injured so often that it literally destroyed your faith in your own abilities is harsh.

Confidence as shattered as his was is brutal, he still plays only because I think this is all the kid knows he should be doing. But man he'd be a great guy on Spittin Chiclets sort of things.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Speaking of Beau Bennett, I looked at the 2010 draft today.

Bjugstad, Bennett, Riley Sheahan and Jarred Tinordi were all drafted consecutively and all spent time with the Pens org (Tinordi in WBS). Never realized that.

Boo boo is such a punk. Him and that stupid beanie he wears no matter the temperature.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Per Reddit...

I didn't know about the last part.

He chews every meal of the day 87 times. Averaging 8.7 ounces of food and water. Brushes his teeth in 87 strokes. Takes 87 steps to his vehicle. Drives to the rink at 87 mph. Also, his dog is named 'Aidy Sevhin'.

Few others I can't think of...

Reactions: BHD

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
TIL that the Pens traded Coffey prior to the 92 playoff run. I had no idea he wasn't around for that one, I'd always assumed he was traded the following year.

Anyone who was around back then, what was the rationale for trading him? The return looked pretty underwhelming. Were Chychrun and Benning highly regarded?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
TIL that the Pens traded Coffey prior to the 92 playoff run. I had no idea he wasn't around for that one, I'd always assumed he was traded the following year.

Anyone who was around back then, what was the rationale for trading him? The return looked pretty underwhelming. Were Chychrun and Benning highly regarded?

Scotty Bowman hated Coffey bc he wouldn't commit to defense.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Scotty Bowman hated Coffey bc he wouldn't commit to defense.

Yeah and in addition Coffey had taken a couple of injuries the year before and that season and much more importantly... money. Money was more or less always a factor then in every single decision. They weren't throwing around piles of cash for third liners and scratch defensemen in those days. But yeah you are right... mostly Bowman. Those two didn't really care for each other.

I think it was actually a three team trade involving Philly as well. Or a back-to-back trade. The Penguins got Chychrun from LA along with Kjell Samuelsson, Wregget and a third from Philly. Recchi was also part of the whole deal... that's how he ended up in his first stint with Philly.

EDIT: And friggin' Rick Tocchet. How could I forget about him? Got him from Philly, too.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So essentially the same reason why we need to trade JJ.

Not quite
Coffey had the hockey IQ and self awareness he needed to get back into the play and get in front of the puck. He just didn't want to.

JJ is a 12 year old boy who is off his ADD meds and goes chasing hits and into the corners while leaving his partner stranded. I think he wants to play defense, his brain just won't let him

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Not quite
Coffey had the hockey IQ and self awareness he needed to get back into the play and get in front of the puck. He just didn't want to.

JJ is a 12 year old boy who is off his ADD meds and goes chasing hits and into the corners while leaving his partner stranded. I think he wants to play defense, his brain just won't let him
It was more or less a joke, but sure.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Bourne on the Athletic did a fun article on the truly freak skills in the NHL and his first choice was Sid's backhand. Interesting to note it's only really been in the last five years that he's really been making hay with it.

I think he just used it less in his prime years because from 2010-2014 his snapshot was still top tier in the league, not that it got better. He scored way more crazy backhand goals earlier in his career than he did from like 2015-2018, I guess he just took less shots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad