Confirmed with Link: Pens hire Hextall (GM) and Burke (POHOP) - Part II

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Empoleon8771 just replying here since the other thread got closed. It sounds like Hextall wants to not blow up the team but wants to start accumulating assets. To me that sounds like no major moves are likely but that trading mid tier players here and there for younger players/picks may be a route they'll take. That makes it sound like Hextall envisions more of a retool than a tear it down type scenario. To me that would mean keeping core players like Sid, Malkin, Letang and being willing to move other pieces for picks + assets.

Also funny that he didn't say anything nice about the goaltending but how could he lol. It's no secret they've been among the worst in the league. I think Jarry and Desmith are both capable of being much better, though. I'm down on them, but they've played better before.

I think a fairly like scenario is:

1. They only nibble at the edges during the season this year
2. They look to make bigger moves this off-season, with guys like Dumoulin, Zucker, Matheson, Letang and Tanev as logical guys who could be moved out. Sullivan could also be fired, but I think that's more likely in the 2022 off-season, when I'm anticipating a larger retool will happen.
3. Hextall will basically make the same kind of moves JR was trying to make: win-now moves but getting younger doing so. I just hope he doesn't make the same bad moves JR made.
4. If shit goes sideways next year, where they're not even close to contending, that's when I think the "rebuild" starts.

I could see significant roster changes happening in 2022, but it's kinda hard to "blow the team up" when a lot of your most valuable assets are pending UFAs. They're not going to say re-sign Letang only to trade him that off-season.

Reactions: Pancakes

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Caps board thread bans guests? you should be free to post wherever you want. I don't venture much there and if I did the rare time I just lurk.

The Wings board had me at “infract at sight” for like a whole year after we won the first Cup with Sid and company. It was wild. I would post the most inane, non controversial things too just to see how far they would take it. I even got an infraction for complimenting Lidstrom once, that ruled.:laugh:

I also think I got warned any time I posted on the Canes board because I mocked one of their mods here to their internet face.

HF is so much funnier when a handful of people take it very seriously.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The Wings board had me at “infract at sight” for like a whole year after we won the first Cup with Sid and company. It was wild. I would post the most inane, non controversial things too just to see how far they would take it. I even got an infraction for complimenting Lidstrom once, that ruled.:laugh:

I also think I got warned any time I posted on the Canes board because I mocked one of their mods here to their internet face.

Breh...

Reactions: pensfan71

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Letang and Geno aren’t bringing much back at their age with only one year left on their contracts, as Mac just stated...even if they didn’t have NMCs...with Sid, he could fetch a lot more because his contract is so good the next three years so if he wants to leave to win somewhere else rather than stay for the rebuild , it’s in the Pens interest to find out...both G and Letang are likely here thru their contracts unless someone blows them out with an offer

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

That's an option?!?!

Which settings box do I check to enable that feature here?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I've gotten my share of stupid infractions on this site too :laugh:

Like a week ago, I censored f*** in a different way that this board automatically does (I replaced the u with a * and kept the rest the same), so I got an infraction and a threadban for "inappropriate language". We can say shit and douche all we want and have no problems, but if you censor f*** in a slightly different way than the automatic censors, you've gone a step too far.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Man, still get weird vibes that we hired Burke. WTF man? I am still unsure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I still feel so conflicted.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The weirdness is kind of what makes me feel a bit better about it. I think a more Penguins-style hire would just mean more of the status quo.

The idea of hiring one of your biggest public critics is a good one for a team that needs changes, I think.

I'm coming around on it.

If nothing else Burke is a pretty smart guy. That's obvious.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The weirdness is kind of what makes me feel a bit better about it. I think a more Penguins-style hire would just mean more of the status quo.

The idea of hiring one of your biggest public critics is a good one for a team that needs changes, I think.

I guess we will see how it works out and if we can have a last crazy hurrah at the bitter sweet end. They both like defense and Pens missing the size in their lineups maybe we can insert while staying with the speed and skill so we don't get destroyed by the Wilsons and the Oshies etc.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I remember getting in trouble for posting too many MS Paint jobs of Carter "Rugged" Rowney.

tenor.gif

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I feel like this shit’s got dream team written all over it. Buck up, boys and girls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad