Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Flames: Classic Sully Pens

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Friedman is the one saying it.

People are desperate for goalies. Who knows not expecting much of a return.

Murray returned a 2nd and Gruden.
I mean the Devils were literally seriously looking into Jacob Markstrom who is much older than Jarry and who doesn't have a great recent body of work.

So yeah, I'd be surprised if the Pens can't get something decent for Jarry.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sully needs to go for everyone's sake. After that, jake maybe Smith this year. Keep MP as he just is to young to move on a team devoid of above the line defensive D men. Dubas has to find a very good RD in the draft this year and next. Next is center and then RW. Pens can add talent and upgrade the prospect pool for the next couple of years.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Fingers crossed the Canucks go on a bit of a skid heading into the TDL so JR can do his psychotic overpay thing, and this team nosedives for the rest of the season so the coaching staff gets nuked.
It couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase, sorry Jersey train-riding Rags fans. 51 years isn't quite enough.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I honestly don’t care who is in net if it means we get rid of Jarry. I’ll roll the dice.

Dude is a loser who will never succeed in the league because he thinks his shit doesn’t stink. Arrogant dumbass.
If New Jersey was willing to pay Holtz+1st for Markstrom...

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Yeah, that's why I'm scared shitless with what this management group is planning to do. We are headed for 2016-17 Red Wings country.
It could potentially go worse in Pittsburgh- The Wings sold out that season at home. The only thing saving us from a sea of empty seats next Tuesday vs CBJ is the chance their fans take over our building. We kinda' deserve it, too.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Assuming we lose to EDM tonight (a near certainty) and beat Columbus (maybe), I really think Dubas' plan hinges on what happens against Washington on Thursday. If we beat the Caps, I believe he'll still think the playoffs are attainable, and willl play the trade deadline accordingly - thoughts?
What? The season is over buddy. I hope you're joking, dubas is gonna sell regardless of these few games. You've watched this team all season and you even question whether or not we're pretenders or not? How much more evidence could you possibly need?

You are not factoring in how Sully bullied his GM's to get this soft, one trick pony roster. He sabotaged JR and owned hextall. It's looking the same thing currently with Dubas.
I'm not sure I'd go that far. And I'm no fan of Sully's. Regardless, time to turn the page and sell.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If New Jersey was willing to pay Holtz+1st for Markstrom...
Markstrom
This season: 2.57 GAA and .914 save%
Career in NHL: 2.72 GAA, .909 save % with .911 save % in playoffs

Tristan Jarry
This season: 2.60 GAA and .910 save %
Career: 2.65 and .914 save %, with .891 in the playoffs

I can see why especially since Markström is huge and has better numbers in the playoffs

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Markstrom
This season: 2.57 GAA and .914 save%
Career in NHL: 2.72 GAA, .909 save % with .911 save % in playoffs

Tristan Jarry
This season: 2.60 GAA and .910 save %
Career: 2.65 and .914 save %, with .891 in the playoffs

I can see why especially since Markström is huge and has better numbers in the playoffs
Jake is younger, signed for longer, and cheaper. But yeah I see what you're saying.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Marino is one of the worst defensive players in the league this year. To be fair.
Marino hasn't been the same since Palmieri destroyed him in R1/G1 OT three years ago. Letang's gaffe yesterday was terrible but nothing compared to that humiliation. Easy candidate for top 3 most embarrassing plays in franchise playoff history, maybe #1 in terms of impact.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The point is, as always, pure sentiment and nostalgia. I'm cool with that. But THIS, whatever it is that we're doing, isn't serving the core's legacy, nor is it forward thinking. It's just pure cowardice and it's baffling that it's even being tolerated by ownership unless said ownership is pulling a Nutting.
This is actually hurting the core's legacy, yes. They're achieving the opposite effect.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Highly doubt it. And Jarry is having an okay year. His shit play since the break has dropped him to 21st in SV% amongst goalies they have started 10 games and he’s paid like a top 10-15 guy.
Jarry's play dropping after the all-star break? You don't say! It's almost like we've seen this movie every season.

I agree. We should move on from Jarry as soon as we can. It's not even that he sucks all the time or whatever. It's that with how inconsistent he is, you can get similar results for about half the price and half the term.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is actually hurting the core's legacy, yes. They're achieving the opposite effect.
The crazy thing is that with a few minor changes they would have been in the playoffs. How many one-goal games did we drop? How many games did our terrible PP or awful bench management cost us?

It is wild how much the whole Sid/Jake "change is scary and bad" attitude is just strangling this team.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The crazy thing is that with a few minor changes they would have been in the playoffs. How many one-goal games did we drop? How many games did our terrible PP or awful bench management cost us?

It is wild how much the whole Sid/Jake "change is scary and bad" attitude is just strangling this team.
Doesn't matter, even if they made it. Can't win 4 rounds this way. Probably not even one.
If they're serious about winning a Cup again sometime then there's only one way to accomplish that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Doesn't matter, even if they made it. Can't win 4 rounds this way. Probably not even one.
If they're serious about winning a Cup again sometime then there's only one way to accomplish that.
There's no way they're winning a Cup again in my lifetime, man. :laugh: Not with this ownership, not with the way the league is set up now.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Like I said in the GDT, this is basically a predictable movie at this point.

Blow a two goal lead after failing to put the opposition away on the PP, then give up the winner in the last minute.

Literally like watching a re-run of a bad movie.
Yep. I didn't see the game last night. Didn't need to. Seen it already.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No it won't.
Nobody remembers or references the end of star players careers. Their prime and their championships are what is remembered. The more time that passes the better they become in conversations. ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Jarry's play dropping after the all-star break? You don't say! It's almost like we've seen this movie every season.

I agree. We should move on from Jarry as soon as we can. It's not even that he sucks all the time or whatever. It's that with how inconsistent he is, you can get similar results for about half the price and half the term.
Doesn't Jars get bonus points for being consistently inconsistent?

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
No it won't.
Nobody remembers the end if guys careers. Their prime and their championships are what is remembered.
Isn't this supporting the idea that guys need to be cut earlier and not held on to in some attempt at honor in what is a cutthroat business?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's no way they're winning a Cup again in my lifetime, man. :laugh: Not with this ownership, not with the way the league is set up now.
I think if there's one area Pens fans are a bit spoiled/delusional is in this area. The idea that all you have to do is rebuild and it results in a Cup at some point.

We've just been extremely, extremely lucky that the "bad" periods coincided with generational players ending up on the Pens. You simply can't expect that to happen every time you're bad. For every Lemieux/Crosby/Jagr/Malkin, there are dozens of Nugent-Hopkins/Hall/Lafreniere/E. Johnsons.

Add on top of that this ownership/organization's sheer arrogance at not seeing the issues even when they're being tea-bagged by them and that doesn't bode well for the rebuild - whether that rebuild happens now, 3 years from now, or 5 years from now.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think if there's one area Pens fans are a bit spoiled/delusional is in this area. The idea that all you have to do is rebuild and it results in a Cup at some point.

We've just been extremely, extremely lucky that the "bad" periods coincided with generational players ending up on the Pens. You simply can't expect that to happen every time you're bad. For every Lemieux/Crosby/Jagr/Malkin, there are dozens of Nugent-Hopkins/Hall/Lafreniere/E. Johnsons.

Add on top of that this ownership/organization's sheer arrogance at not seeing the issues even when they're being tea-bagged by them and that doesn't bode well for the rebuild - whether that rebuild happens now, 3 years from now, or 5 years from now.
Yeah, that's why I'm frankly bummed about the end of the era and I'm okay with the sentimentality. Because I don't expect to see this team win a Cup for probably the rest of my natural life.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
It could potentially go worse in Pittsburgh- The Wings sold out that season at home. The only thing saving us from a sea of empty seats next Tuesday vs CBJ is the chance their fans take over our building. We kinda' deserve it, too.
It isn't Dollar Beer night or It's Okay to Spit Indoors night, so they'll probably stay in Ohio.
Yeah, that's why I'm frankly bummed about the end of the era and I'm okay with the sentimentality. Because I don't expect to see this team win a Cup for probably the rest of my natural life.
They can totally win another Cup in the next two and half years.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Isn't this supporting the idea that guys need to be cut earlier and not held on to in some attempt at honor in what is a cutthroat business?
Yea, but teams have to give those players long term contracts in order to secure them. Or they go to the team that will offer them that. Tavares being a great example. Signed for long term at a high annual. Teams bank on getting 5 to 6 good years. Can't cut those players, but their role gets moved on down the trough as contract runs out.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Penguins will contend for a Cup again in the next 10-15 years. Winning? Who knows. You have a 3% chance to win. It takes 23 years .97^23 for the cumulative probability of winning 1 to surpass 50%. Exponents Calculator
It takes over 53 years for the cumulative probability of winning 1 surpass 80%.

Regardless, there's a time limit on nostalgia for its own sake. Putting off a needed rebuild for 3-4 more years to pretend we think there's a chance we can compete as a vote of confidence for the core is dumb. Karlsson was the last attempt/gamble. Time to take our dwindling winnings and walk away from the poker table. Cash out.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Sorry, but this is downright ridiculous.

Lemieux's last playoff appearance was the year he came back, 2000-01. He missed the postseason the last four years of his career.

Gretzky missed the playoffs his last two years with the Rangers. The Rangers had 68 points and 77 points in those two seasons, so it wasn't even close.

Didn't do anything to their respective legacies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad