Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Flames: Classic Sully Pens

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think EK's value is gonna plummet the longer he sticks around in this organization, and hanging onto him, you run the risk of his injury woes popping back up.

Sullivan is just the refined essence of all that sucks about NHL coaching. There's this obsession with "play 'em to a draw" style and dumbing things down to the most boring level possible. This league hates flow and creativity because it comes with risk.

Anyway, can't wait for Sullivan to get his hands on the next crop of top-3 picks this team's gonna be landing sooner than later. Should do wonders for molding the game of the next franchise building blocks. :)
I can already envision Yager as Jansen Harkins with a better shot.

• Love
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The problem is "a guy like EK." What is he? Recent Norris winner, sure. But there was almost no market for him this summer. We hear a lot that he's a net negative. And now we know that despite his 5-on-5 offensive acumen he is dogshit, terrible, putrid as a PPQB. It's possible that he's an offense-first guy that the league has determined the juice is not worth the squeeze. Similar to how little Kane was just valued.
He's a top-pairing offensive-minded PMD. You pair him with a guy like MP and run a solid pairing that can do nearly everything. Will there be high offensive output, yes. Will that be countered by defensive lapses, yes.

I would be hesitant to say he's a putrid PPQB though. I think our entire PP is sooooo f***ing bad that it's tough to pass judgement on any one player's PP ability.
I don’t think MP returns a 1st. It’d be cool if he did, but I think he is very overrated by Penguins fans and is pretty common skill set wise across the league. He also has no bite.

There was a market for him. San Jose was just unwilling to make it work.

If you are willing to eat 50% of his contract teams will be lining up. Especially if you take back a contract.
Chris Tanev just netted a 2nd+. MP with another year 1000% returns a 1st. As suggested previously, Bahl + 1st is very very reasonable for him.

MP has top pairing ability. He may not be your true #1 or even #2 but he's 100% a guy you pair with a Makar, Hughes, Letang, Karlsson, Fox, etc and you run a dominant top pairing. And you're getting that at a $4mil price tag. I would suggest his value is very similar to that of Skjei or Chychrun when they got traded. Skjei went for a straight 1st as a RFA. Chychrun a 1st + 2nd roughly with an extra year. No doubt MP could fetch a similar return the market on top quality LD being relatively thin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's a top-pairing offensive-minded PMD. You pair him with a guy like MP and run a solid pairing that can do nearly everything. Will there be high offensive output, yes. Will that be countered by defensive lapses, yes.

I would be hesitant to say he's a putrid PPQB though. I think our entire PP is sooooo f***ing bad that it's tough to pass judgement on any one player's PP ability.

Chris Tanev just netted a 2nd+. MP with another year 1000% returns a 1st. As suggested previously, Bahl + 1st is very very reasonable for him.

MP has top pairing ability. He may not be your true #1 or even #2 but he's 100% a guy you pair with a Makar, Hughes, Letang, Karlsson, Fox, etc and you run a dominant top pairing. And you're getting that at a $4mil price tag. I would suggest his value is very similar to that of Skjei or Chychrun when they got traded. Skjei went for a straight 1st as a RFA. Chychrun a 1st + 2nd roughly with an extra year. No doubt MP could fetch a similar return the market on top quality LD being relatively thin.

Chris Tanev and Marcus Pettersson are about as absolutely opposite as you can get. Tanev is a heart and soul player that puts it all out on the ice every shift.

Chychrun and Skjei score.

MP is an analytical darling that gets abused physically and looks like a string bean.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chris Tanev and Marcus Pettersson are about as absolutely opposite as you can get. Tanev is a heart and soul player that puts it all out on the ice every shift.

Chychrun and Skjei score.

MP is an analytical darling that gets abused physically and looks like a string bean.
I'm not comparing him directly to those players, I'm comparing relative value. Like Jake, there haven't been many instances of a guy like MP being available at the TDL.

Depends on what your defensive needs are but who else is available that would be a better LD than Pettersson (if your need was legitimate defense, especially bolstering the top pairing)?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not comparing him directly to those players, I'm comparing relative value. Like Jake, there haven't been many instances of a guy like MP being available at the TDL.

Depends on what your defensive needs are but who else is available that would be a better LD than Pettersson (if your need was legitimate defense, especially bolstering the top pairing)?

Every team has a guy like MP. He is nothing special.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
He’s also one of the best defensive guys in the league by xG. lol.
It's odd... so based on the stats

Marino is great now.
Dumo is great now.
Matheson is great now.
McCann is great now.

Weird that the only constant is the Penguins coaching staff that can't adjust to each "players'" current and evolving skillsets ... but let's switch out more players for Sullivan to ruin.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's odd... so based on the stats

Marino is great now.
Dumo is great now.
Matheson is great now.
McCann is great now.

It's odd that the only constant is the coaching staff that can't adjust to each "playerss" current and evolving skillsets ... but let's switch out more players for Sullivan to ruin.

Marino is one of the worst defensive players in the league this year. To be fair.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Highly doubt it. And Jarry is having an okay year. His shit play since the break has dropped him to 21st in SV% amongst goalies they have started 10 games and he’s paid like a top 10-15 guy.
Either way if they can't get a first or really good prospect for him they might as well keep him assuming the plan next year is to actually try and make the playoffs.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Why? He’s a choker. Look at last night.

Dude blows. The sooner we can get out of that contract the better. I’d literally give him away.
The 2024 FA goalie class isn't terribly appealing.

Maybe the Pens could go with Ned as starter instead if they trust that he can play well again next year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The 2024 FA goalie class isn't terribly appealing.

Maybe the Pens could go with Ned as starter instead if they trust that he can play well again next year.

I honestly don’t care who is in net if it means we get rid of Jarry. I’ll roll the dice.

Dude is a loser who will never succeed in the league because he thinks his shit doesn’t stink. Arrogant dumbass.

Reactions: Turin

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I honestly don’t care who is in net if it means we get rid of Jarry. I’ll roll the dice.

Dude is a loser who will never succeed in the league because he thinks his shit doesn’t stink. Arrogant dumbass.
That's fair. I don't much like him at all either. And it definitely pisses me off how he almost never takes responsibility for the Pens sucking.

At this point I'd be willing to accept almost any change with this team, because what we've seen the past two years is awful.

Unfortunately I think you could change whatever you want with it and it won't matter unless they replace Sully.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I can’t believe they’re just gonna tank. What was the point of even firing Hextall if you aren’t gonna try lmao, this is what he wanted in the first place!

Reactions: Gurglesons

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
You people are out to lunch if you think they can move Jarry and that horrible contract and not pay anyone to take it on… people thinking they would get a return on him are delusional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad