Post-Game Talk: Pens eaten by desert dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I mean you do you but I think celebrating and banging your chest because some of the best players we're ever likely to see come through here are aging out and haven't been given the help they need to at least try going out gracefully is sad not funny. I wanted a latter day Wings ending and that's what I was sincerely hoping for even when my brain told me I was probably being silly for a multitude of reasons.

Geez and you people call ME a doomer. I would take no real pleasure for being right about any of this.
So, you have literal sadness in your body because of this? Professional athletes you do not know or associate with who speak the same lines over and over when asked about how winning or losing feels. Interesting.
No doom! They are in retirement age for professional sports and people think and act like they are in their late 20's.... that is what brightens my day. Delusion some would call it. It's all very soothing. I see the little hope some of the persistently positive posters have and see it fade out in a whimper. Yes..... there is satisfaction.... but I take none from pointing out obvious and straight forward common sense realizations that old people are old.

Not to even open up HCMS running the organization to the ground....

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So, you have literal sadness in your body because of this? Professional athletes you do not know or associate with who speak the same lines over and over when asked about how winning or losing feels. Interesting.
No doom! They are in retirement age for professional sports and people think and act like they are in their late 20's.... that is what brightens my day. Delusion some would call it. It's all very soothing. I see the little hope some of the persistently positive posters have and see it fade out in a whimper. Yes..... there is satisfaction.... but I take none from pointing out obvious and straight forward common sense realizations that old people are old. Especially with MS running this organization, basically the head of the snake. But, it's all the same thing to me....

You're very cool. Good job.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
No doom! They are in retirement age for professional sports and people think and act like they are in their late 20's.... that is what brightens my day. Delusion some would call it. It's all very soothing. I see the little hope some of the persistently positive posters have and see it fade out in a whimper. Yes..... there is satisfaction.... but I take none from pointing out obvious and straight forward common sense realizations that old people are old.

Not to even open up HCMS running the organization to the ground....
And this is why Sid should tell the Pens to get f***ed yesterday.

We never deserved him.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The latter day Wings ending happened from 2018-2022. We just signed up for a sequel, Rotten Tomatoes is giving it a 32% but the audience score is 41% at least.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
This thread is so somber and spirit-crushing to the few remaining unaccepting the end has been here for quite some time is nourishing to me....

Riding a sports team into retirement is a very dumb idea. This is what you want. this is what you get...
I watch for the laughs, boy do I get them with this team. :laugh:
Honestly, if I truly accepted the end, I probably would watch less games. I still have hope! Let's see what we can do with a new coach first!

As said above, the Wings did it, so why can't we?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The latter day Wings ending happened from 2018-2022. We just signed up for a sequel, Rotten Tomatoes is giving it a 32% but the audience score is 41% at least.

Everyone is insisting it's just being review-bombed.

But we know better.

Also obviously I meant the Old Men Wings the Pens battled in 08-09

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This thread is so somber and spirit-crushing to the few remaining unaccepting the end has been here for quite some time is nourishing to me....

Riding a sports team into retirement is a very dumb idea. This is what you want. this is what you get...
I watch for the laughs, boy do I get them with this team. :laugh:

Who in the core is responsible for this season?

All three of them are playing far above their contracts.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm happy to see the Pittsburgh Penguins play playoff hockey and make the 2nd round this year or next, because I won't likely see it for the next ten years after that.

Adding 3 years to the latter number for a 10% chance at getting your former goal is silly, but sports are meant to be emotional I guess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Adding 3 years to the latter number for a 10% chance at getting your former goal is silly, but sports are meant to be emotional I guess.

The Penguins for the millionth time can not initiate a rebuild at this time.

There are too many cap commitments and too many players with movement clauses that prevent us from going scorched earth.

It's more intelligent for the team to hold out a couple of years. You'll get more value for players like Rust, Rakell, Jarry, Graves, etc when their contracts are shorter and more easily retained on.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Penguins for the millionth time can not initiate a rebuild at this time.

There are too many cap commitments and too many players with movement clauses that prevent us from going scorched earth.

It's more intelligent for the team to hold out a couple of years. You'll get more value for players like Rust, Rakell, Jarry, Graves, etc when their contracts are shorter and more easily retained on.

You can only retain on 3 players at a time.

Guarantee you could get more for Rust and Jarry now than 2 years from now if they would waive.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think this team is or realistically can be a Cup contender and probably haven't been for a few years now, but they should be good enough to make playoffs and win a round every once in a while. I'm fine with that.

If will be a sad ending to legendary careers if the last playoff round they won was in 2018, though.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You can only retain on 3 players at a time.

Guarantee you could get more for Rust and Jarry now than 2 years from now if they would waive.

I'd argue Rust's contract is literally unmovable even if he waives.

I know you can only retain on 3 players at a time. Hence why you wait until the contracts are closer to their expiration date.

For example, I would retain on Jake, Carter and Ned or act as a 3rd team to get an extra pick this deadline.

Next year if you are out of the dance do the same thing with Pettersson, Ellen and a UFA.

Rinse repeat.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'd argue Rust's contract is literally unmovable even if he waives.

This board just hates Bryan Rust because it hates Mike Sullivan.
I highly doubt the league feels the same way at $5M AAV.

The NTC is the main thing limiting Rust's value around the league.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I mean we saw how much value Riley Smith had this summer and he’s been better than Bryan Rust and had a much lighter contract.

Last 5 seasons:

283 GP
104 Goals
227 Points
+40

You're totally out to lunch on Rust's value. Don't conflate "HFPens whipping boy" with what anyone outside this virtual sphere thinks. I mean, you can, but it would be dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad