Post-Game Talk: Pens dominate Boston!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Daley has had 3 great games. Really on fire as of late. And HBK was meh at best. They were not great by any means and still really struggling.

I'd hoped the Carolina game, where they showed some glimpses, would be a harbinger of better things. It wasn't.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Only player that stood out as subpar to me was Bonino. Murray, Sid, Sheary...wow.

The defense minus Dumo and Letang is acquitting itself quite well, especially in terms of contributing to the offense.

To be fair, they have been our 2 worst D to date this season.
+Sheary, wowow. :nod:
=+Crosby redeemed himself defensively after last game's showing, but then had a bad turnover at the blueline that Murray bailed out. His line was the best out there though
-Bonino had a 24% CF% :(
-Daley and Gaunce were dominated as well. :(

-HBK remains a thing and our coach should be fired for it. :rant: Guess who's line was -1 in a 5-1 game? If I can pull data that shows them as one of the worst 5v5 GF% lines in the NHL, why can't he? 40% GF (they moved up from absolutely last with a 5v5 goal last game). Now just 3rd from last. :shakehead. There is a lot of money on that line to be this bad....on a team this good.

+MurrMan was flat out fantastic. :nod:
+Shultz and Cole once again our top pair. :)
+Neutral Zone D again.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We kinda beat up on Holtby, Price, and Rask in short order. We're not getting gimmies here.

I didn't and don't check the CF% of any line before I judge their game. I don't think they were horrendous, and I don't think they were great. There's certainly room for improvement, but I like Sullivan's suggestion for the trio and I think they have been playing closer together.

With lines 1,2, and 4 firing on all cylinders, we can afford to let HBK try to find their groove. Lines 1 and 2 aren't configured just the way I'd like them, but it's hard to argue with the way they're filling the net lately.

Boston was also just shooting the puck a lot so I suspect that Corsi is fairly skewed in that game. Score aside Boston might have dominated statistically but they didn't in the game. Hbk was more meh than anything.

8-7
4-1
7-1
5-1

This is without Letang playing.

Not being dependant on Letang and having a real ppqb :handclap:

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
We kinda beat up on Holtby, Price, and Rask in short order. We're not getting gimmies here.

I didn't and don't check the CF% of any line before I judge their game. I don't think they were horrendous, and I don't think they were great. There's certainly room for improvement, but I like Sullivan's suggestion for the trio and I think they have been playing closer together.

With lines 1,2, and 4 firing on all cylinders, we can afford to let HBK try to find their groove.

I didn't check their CF% before I judged the game either, I watched the game, they really weren't good IMO.

HBK has almost nothing to do with any of those wins bolded. We've scored what? Like 17 goals in that span [EDIT: omg it's worse than that, its 24 goals with Carolina]? HBK is responsible for what 2? It doesn't pass the eye test, it doesn't pass the analytic test, it doesn't pass the score sheet, and yet it has 2 of the most expensive wingers on the team under the idea that it provides more depth. It's not providing depth, and even worse its just a bad line.

The top 6 is fine right now, who's contesting that? I was under the impression that people wanted depth. Everyone is hoping that the third line puts it into another gear in the post-season. I'm just saying, another game passes and they don't even look acceptable for a slacking line. I get not playing too hard in the regular season, but come on. It's pitiful.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I didn't check their CF% before I judged the game either, I watched the game, they really weren't good IMO.

HBK has almost nothing to do with any of those wins bolded. We've scored what? Like 17 goals in that span [EDIT: omg it's worse than that, its 24 goals]? HBK is responsible for what 2? It doesn't pass the eye test, it doesn't pass the analytic test, it doesn't pass the score sheet, and yet it has 2 of the most expensive wingers on the team under the idea that it provides more depth. It's not providing depth, and even worse its just a bad line.

The top 6 is fine right now, who's contesting that? I was under the impression that people wanted depth. Everyone is hoping that the third line puts it into another gear in the post-season. I'm just saying, another game passes and they don't even look acceptable for a slacking line. I get not playing too hard in the regular season, but come on. It's pitiful.

HBK line is in the bottom 5 in the NHL among lines with 160min or more in
Scoring chance for %: 41% (2nd to last)
Goals for % : 40% (3rd to last)
"Expected goals for %: 43% (2nd to last)
Shots for % : 47% (8th to last)
SH%: 4.3% (2nd to last and very indicative of the quality of shots they take)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

HBK has almost nothing to do with any of those wins bolded. We've scored what? Like 17 goals in that span [EDIT: omg it's worse than that, its 24 goals with Carolina]? HBK is responsible for what 2? It doesn't pass the eye test, it doesn't pass the analytic test, it doesn't pass the score sheet, and yet it has 2 of the most expensive wingers on the team under the idea that it provides more depth. It's not providing depth, and even worse its just a bad line.

It isn't just the top 6 that's fine right now...every line but the 3rd is looking great, and we're chasing Vezina contenders from the net. So as much as I'd like to see certain things shaken up, it's pretty much impossible to do that without shaking up everything else that is working.

If that means HBK stays together through some lean times, so be it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
-HBK remains a thing and our coach should be fired for it. :rant: Guess who's line was -1 in a 5-1 game? If I can pull data that shows them as one of the worst 5v5 GF% lines in the NHL, why can't he? 40% GF (they moved up from absolutely last with a 5v5 goal last game). Now just 3rd from last. :shakehead. There is a lot of money on that line to be this bad....on a team this good.

Jesus, I hope that's hyperbole. :laugh:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
So Fleury doesn't start another game for the foreseeable future, correct? Because I'm really not seeing it. Sullivan went with Murray after that Washington mess and he has done nothing but shine since then.

The pens got a back to back this week (or next week). Whenever it is, maf will see of those. Hopefully that's all he sees before .. and for a 5-7 game stretch after.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
It isn't just the top 6 that's fine right now...every line but the 3rd is looking great, and we're chasing Vezina contenders from the net. So as much as I'd like to see certain things shaken up, it's pretty much impossible to do that without shaking up everything else that is working.

If that means HBK stays together through some lean times, so be it.

That seems like not the greatest idea considering this is the regular season, the time to be trying things is now. You get comfortable with 2 working lines and a functional 4th line, when the post-season rolls around and the checking becomes tighter, if HBK doesn't step-up, guess what, it's a bit late to be changing around your lines, you're boned.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Yeah, that just about says it all.

As said before, it would be really interesting to see how Cullen would do with Hags and Kessel for a couple of games. The fourth looks more than fine as is and there's Sundqvist for cover also.

On the one hand a scratching might provide the needed kick in the ass for Bones, on the other some successful Cully games there could make Bones a trade option.

Fleury, Bones and a 2nd to Philly for Gudas and Mason. Dang.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That seems like not the greatest idea considering this is the regular season, the time to be trying things is now. You get comfortable with 2 working lines and a functional 4th line, when the post-season rolls around and the checking becomes tighter, if HBK doesn't step-up, guess what, it's a bit late to be changing around your lines, you're boned.

We're halfway through the season. Half a season ago we wouldn't have imagined that HBK would be having more trouble than Malkin-Hornqvist and Kunitz-Fehr-Wilson, but here we are. I'm sure there will be a few surprises a half a season from now too.

There's more than enough time for either HBK to sort itself out, and new combinations to be tried. The time to throw things in a blender is not when you've won 4 in a row, scored 24 goals over that winning streak, and have 3 of 4 lines running like a well-oiled machine.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I don't know how Sully can stick with that in the playoffs. I mean, at this point, it seems that plan A is hoping Bones turns it on and plan B is . . . well, I'm not sure.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Duchene would solve any issues up front. Carry your third line or bump Rust down with Cullen. And you cant seriously tell me you couldn't find a stopgap replacement for Maatta. He's really not that critical to our success. Especially when Dumo and Letang return and he's pretty much a 4/5 at best here.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I don't know how Sully can stick with that in the playoffs. I mean, at this point, it seems that plan A is hoping Bones turns it on and plan B is . . . well, I'm not sure.

You've got an awesome plan B healing up right now. Cullen has been able to adapt his game to everyone he's played with so far. Put him with Kessel and Hags and you'd have one crazy fast two-way line. And Fehr is showing on a daily basis he can be an excellent 4C. Kuhn, Bones, OS, Sprong etc as injury fill-ins. We're crazy deep at forward and center, lots of Plan B's.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This feeling will obviously change if he's moved up anywhere else, but I love Kunitz on the fourth line. Doing tons of little things that make me smile.

I really hope he stays there so he can (hopefully) finish his Pens career in a positive light.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens should go for a top 4 Dman over another forward. Would be sick to have Duchene here though! No team can match the speed of Hagelin-Duchene-Kessel as a LINE!

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Duchene, Letang. No team can match that star power, plus the rest of our roster. But a top 4 Dman is a must...I want Shattenkirk.

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Shattenkirk
Cole-Schultz

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This feeling will obviously change if he's moved up anywhere else, but I love Kunitz on the fourth line. Doing tons of little things that make me smile.

I really hope he stays there so he can (hopefully) finish his Pens career in a positive light.

Yes.

BTW, chemistry is starting to develop with Geno and Guentzel. And I just love how that unit is playing. Said last game it's almost like they're playing the torpedo, where Horny and Guentzel are the torpedos and Geno is like a third defenseman. It's getting better and better and most importantly (a) looks a lot more natural with a lot more possession and (b) is letting Geno play the style of hockey that IMO is when he's at his best (everything flows from how he's playing defense). I know we differ on the degree of chemistry right now, but Jake is making plays, Geno is trusting him more, and that's when it works.

Pens should go for a top 4 Dman over another forward. Would be sick to have Duchene here though! No team can match the speed of Hagelin-Duchene-Kessel as a LINE!

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Duchene, Letang. No team can match that star power, plus the rest of our roster. But a top 4 Dman is a must...I want Shattenkirk.

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Shattenkirk
Cole-Schultz

1. Why am I playing Maatta over Daley now?

2. What happens to Maatta as I have to protect Letang, Dumo, and Schultz for the expansion draft?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
1. Why am I playing Maatta over Daley now?

2. What happens to Maatta as I have to protect Letang, Dumo, and Schultz for the expansion draft?

1.) You're not, Pens would be.
2.) I dunno but i'll let this play out as it is. Then re-sign Shattenkirk if Hags gets picked up, deal Maatta in a package for say Killorn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad