Post-Game Talk: Pens decide to walk through a Hurricane holding on to knives and grenades

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Dump and chase. Sid needs Tanev to do the dirty work on line 1.

It'd atleast be a solid attempt at trying to turn the tide.

Reality is theres ALOT of empty jerseys atm:

#3, #4, #28, #27, #19, #53, #13

I don't think you are gonna get much of anywhere with how these particular players are playing right now. Thats almost half of the skaters playing in every game.

Theres 3 guys sitting who are better than #3, #4 and #27.

Theres certainly places to slot #19 and #13 to attempt to get them going again.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think a proper D that doesn't suck and fits what we need goes a long way. Find a good partner for Marino, play Riikola and get a 3RD like Miller or Tanev and I think we are a better team and our offense is much better.

If the coach can't get them to play at the right time it doesn't matter. We'll just end up like 2012-13 all over again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It'd atleast be a solid attempt at trying to turn the tide.

Reality is theres ALOT of empty jerseys atm:

#3, #4, #28, #27, #19, #53, #13

I don't think you are gonna get much of anywhere with how these particular players are playing right now. Thats almost half of the skaters playing in every game.

Theres 3 guys sitting who are better than #3, #4 and #27.

Theres certainly places to slot #19 and #13 to attempt to get them going again.

Pettersson has as many points as many of our forwards in his last five games.

Not really sure why he’s looped in with those.

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
they look gassed - maybe its a lot of hockey and minutes players weren't used to with all the injuries- just catching up to them + the psychology of thinking once Sid got back that they could take a "breather"

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So people are still blaming Sullivan for all of this?
interesting-tell-me-5cb646.jpg
How about you tell us what you like about Sully and how this team is playing? What about last season’s awful playoff performance? That all Phil’s fault right? The year before? Tired from the cup run? I look forward to the baseless 2020 Sully excuse.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
:laugh: 60 degrees. It was a damn BEAUT. Nice to run around and get that taste out of my mouth.

I'll tell you this much... if that's the effort fromt he Pens today, i will not skip a chance at tennis for that "enjoyment".
Same. For most of this season I would factor in penguins games around most of my plan making... but at this point, I gotta admit, I'm not going to pass up on doing something outside or go out of my way to watch the games if this is what I can expect out of them.

I don't even care if they lose, but at least and for god sake, be competitive.

Reactions: ColePens

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
:laugh: 60 degrees. It was a damn BEAUT. Nice to run around and get that taste out of my mouth.

I'll tell you this much... if that's the effort fromt he Pens today, i will not skip a chance at tennis for that "enjoyment".

I golf with my dad every sunday the weather allows. So wasn't too invested in watching today. Put more effort into my 77 than the Pens did in their activity today it sounds.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I golf with my dad every sunday the weather allows. So wasn't too invested in watching today. Put more effort into my 77 than the Pens did in their activity today it sounds.

You may have to carry a card or jersey with you because they will be joining you soon.
Maybe snatch an autograph.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Where'd you play? 77's nice.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
You're right about general degredation of the bottom two-thirds of the roster. Also Jarry went back to average and MM is floating just above average right now.

However...have we ruled out whether our system is also being exposed? Even when players are doing the right stuff and trying, we seem incapable of getting into a forecheck, turning over possession in our own zone, etc. We are so quick to collapse/turtle in the defensive zone and end up very stagnant. Hard to get the feet moving north that way. Also we get hemmed in so often that we're just lofting it out to grab a quick change then back to collapse/turtle again. It's to the point where our fans get to the edge of their seats and start cheering when we have a 3-on-3 going towards the opponent's zone or something. I don't know enough hockey Xs and Os to say for sure, but it seems hard to believe that the system and our opponents' adjustments aren't playing a role here.

Being exposed is a possibility.

We have trouble defending the stretch pass, and it seems magnified 10 fold with our team playing lazy.

We dump the puck, guys dont hustle to get there, dont work hard along the boards, Dman pinches to keep the puck in, fails, stretch pass for an odd man break or break away.

In our own end.

I think teams may be catching on that any type of pressure on JJ, Petterson, Schultz has a good chance of them panicking and making an awful pass or turnover. Even Letang can be guilty of this.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I live close to the airport. Usually play Quicksilver if I'm not with him. My dad's lost alotta distance off the tee the last few years. Play Lindenwood with him.

Amazing activity to do with your Dad. Mine doesn't play. I wish.

Lindenwood is no joke. Blue is extremely tight with water in play on a bunch of holes. Red from the tips is HARD. Actually LWood Red is just hard period. Gold is the most scorable/fun and one where I'd want to play with my Dad. 77's a really good score around any 2 of those 3 courses.

I play Quicksilver from the tips and I think #8 (the peninsula-green par 3 that's like 200 yards) NEVER fails to ruin my round. It's seemingly always into the wind and demands a near-perfect shot with a long-iron. I never deliver.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019

Lindenwood is no joke. Blue is extremely tight with water in play on a bunch of holes. Red from the tips is HARD. Actually LWood Red is just hard period. Gold is the most scorable/fun and one where I'd want to play with my Dad. 77's a really good score around any 2 of those 3 courses.

I play Quicksilver from the tips and I think #8 (the peninsula-green par 3 that's like 200 yards) NEVER fails to ruin my round. It's seemingly always into the wind and demands a near-perfect shot with a long-iron. I never deliver.
That's pretty f***ing awesome. Cherish those moments.
Yep ! both My Parents are gone

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
@BrookswasHere44 @Honour Over Glory and everyone else who wanted to know...

DK’s article finally was put up.

“Even as the overwhelming majority of the day’s lineup sat at their stalls in full equipment, from helmet to skates, Kris Letang was nowhere to be found, clearly having bolted for the exit with a rush that could reasonably be compared to … well, the same dash he’d made the day before.
He wasn’t alone, either. On a day that demanded answers for an increasingly — and rightly — irritated fan base, Evgeni Malkin followed up his impassioned self-reflection following the Saturday loss to the Capitals by being a no-show both during and after this one.”

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
That’s Malkin with the blind giveaway, Crosby with the backward giveaway and Letang with the utterly boneheaded giveaway.

Watch that last one again and again. It’s something. Letang’s got a wide-open Conor Sheary up the right boards, and he never once glances in that direction because, hey, that’s what simpletons do. He instead locks onto his target on the far boards, like a rookie NFL quarterback, to light a beacon for Jordan Staal to swoop in.

And never mind Crosby’s Herculean effort once possession changed.

Or Malkin’s earlier penalty for whacking a stick out of an opponent’s hands while the puck was half a rink away.

I could whip up so many more examples, too, since, in one of the most stunning single statistical sequences I’ve seen in this building, the Penguins were charged with the first 16 official giveaways of the game.

The first 16.

For real.

For further context, an NHL team on average commits five official giveaways per game, and those usually wind up fairly even. For further-er context, half of those 16 giveaways were committed by the core: Crosby four, Malkin three, Letang with that doozy up there. And for further-er-er context, 11 of the 16 giveaways, including three of Crosby’s, came via backward passes.

That, my friends, isn’t lousy luck, or whatever else Crosby was trying to convey. That’s an epidemic of unforced errors. That’s insanely idiotic, irresponsible hockey. And whether the Penguins’ players are experiencing a failure to recognize or acknowledge it, what matters most, ultimately, is their failure to act on it.

The same applies, actually, to everything that’s gone awry in losing eight of 10 and, within that, having lost any connection to that energetic, cohesive collective that’d somehow overcome all those injuries and Blandisi’d their way to the top of the Metro. They’re nowhere near that now. If anything, they’ve nosedived right back to the loose, careless level that got them swept by Islanders.
And that, with all due respect to most everyone being bad, still falls squarely on three sets of shoulders. Because if they don’t lead by example — or worse, if they do precisely the opposite of what even they’ll admit is right — then the whole process is shot.

Look, we don’t have to wonder if Mike Sullivan’s a smart coach. Or if his system works. We’ve witnessed both, not just in the back-to-back Cups, but also this very winter. Opponents had no answer when the system was applied appropriately, only praise for the passion and worth ethic behind it.

Only thing that’s changed?

More talented players claimed the places of those who’d been applying it appropriately.

He’s not wrong, there

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
it would be so penguins to get the last WC spot and sweep tampa.

Rather face Tampa all day than Philly or Washington.

mentally weak team

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I'll play Lindenwood off the white tees with my dad. A good drive for me is in the 290 range so I can get close to driving most of the par 4s. Makes it more fun. Love trying to cut the corner on #8 on the red 9.

I've played since I was 12. Would get too frustrated when I was younger to ever get to scratch level. I'm in my 30s now and just play to play. Pretty firmly single digit handicap last season. On some of the easier courses in the area, I'd like to shoot under here or there, but I enjoy the game, being outside and shooting the shit with family/friends.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
@BrookswasHere44 @Honour Over Glory and everyone else who wanted to know...

DK’s article finally was put up.

“Even as the overwhelming majority of the day’s lineup sat at their stalls in full equipment, from helmet to skates, Kris Letang was nowhere to be found, clearly having bolted for the exit with a rush that could reasonably be compared to … well, the same dash he’d made the day before.
He wasn’t alone, either. On a day that demanded answers for an increasingly — and rightly — irritated fan base, Evgeni Malkin followed up his impassioned self-reflection following the Saturday loss to the Capitals by being a no-show both during and after this one.”

Who gives a shit honestly?

Reactions: StaalForOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That’s Malkin with the blind giveaway, Crosby with the backward giveaway and Letang with the utterly boneheaded giveaway.

Watch that last one again and again. It’s something. Letang’s got a wide-open Conor Sheary up the right boards, and he never once glances in that direction because, hey, that’s what simpletons do. He instead locks onto his target on the far boards, like a rookie NFL quarterback, to light a beacon for Jordan Staal to swoop in.

And never mind Crosby’s Herculean effort once possession changed.

Or Malkin’s earlier penalty for whacking a stick out of an opponent’s hands while the puck was half a rink away.

I could whip up so many more examples, too, since, in one of the most stunning single statistical sequences I’ve seen in this building, the Penguins were charged with the first 16 official giveaways of the game.

The first 16.

For real.

For further context, an NHL team on average commits five official giveaways per game, and those usually wind up fairly even. For further-er context, half of those 16 giveaways were committed by the core: Crosby four, Malkin three, Letang with that doozy up there. And for further-er-er context, 11 of the 16 giveaways, including three of Crosby’s, came via backward passes.

That, my friends, isn’t lousy luck, or whatever else Crosby was trying to convey. That’s an epidemic of unforced errors. That’s insanely idiotic, irresponsible hockey. And whether the Penguins’ players are experiencing a failure to recognize or acknowledge it, what matters most, ultimately, is their failure to act on it.

The same applies, actually, to everything that’s gone awry in losing eight of 10 and, within that, having lost any connection to that energetic, cohesive collective that’d somehow overcome all those injuries and Blandisi’d their way to the top of the Metro. They’re nowhere near that now. If anything, they’ve nosedived right back to the loose, careless level that got them swept by Islanders.
And that, with all due respect to most everyone being bad, still falls squarely on three sets of shoulders. Because if they don’t lead by example — or worse, if they do precisely the opposite of what even they’ll admit is right — then the whole process is shot.

Look, we don’t have to wonder if Mike Sullivan’s a smart coach. Or if his system works. We’ve witnessed both, not just in the back-to-back Cups, but also this very winter. Opponents had no answer when the system was applied appropriately, only praise for the passion and worth ethic behind it.

Only thing that’s changed?

More talented players claimed the places of those who’d been applying it appropriately.

He’s not wrong, there

Must have missed Letang and Malkin being hurt during that run.

Funny how DK doesn’t call out the true issue here in Sid and tries to put it on Tanger and Malkin.

Reactions: Pens x and HMPens

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Pens could easily beat the Caps or Philly in a series. people act like their Defenses dont suck, even with their struggles of late, the penguins have a shot in any series vs any team. i see people here saying they should just miss the playoffs. lol.

idiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad