Post-Game Talk: Pens decide to walk through a Hurricane holding on to knives and grenades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
"We, uh, we know things are bad. We have to play better as a team. We need to focus on the basics, keep our feet moving. Get better in our own zone, help our goalies out. They've been great for us, but we're leaving them out to dry. Gotta keep things simple on the PP, just find the back of the net. Can't keep wasting the man-advantage like we have been."

Nah, it sounds so fake without " We gotta play hard, gotta put pucks deep". And "you know" three times in every sentence. :)

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
On Malkins' season he's currently sitting at 1.32 PPG which pretty much ties him with Mackinnon. Dude's 34 and producing like he's 25.

He’s carried the team to a PO spot and is their only consistent point-getter, yet people like DK shit on him like crazy....it’s embarrassing...the fan base should be grateful he’s dedicated himself to the team...

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I could see part of the reason 2 of our more emotional guys didn’t do media is that they wouldn’t have been able to control their answers PR wise will enough. While I do think you need to be a professional, I don’t hate it if it came from a place of not wanting to make locker room matters worse. They can speak to it next non-off day.

I do think sully needs to manufacture a spark, and get things righted starting next game.

1) Play a line with Laff Tanev and Angello heavily early in the next game. Tell them to go play on the edge and stir things up (that doesn’t mean cheap shots, but in hockey you can set a tone that you are there for an f’in battle.) Drag the team into a heated game where we can’t overthink.

2) Geno should get the top mates and play clear top minutes. Idk what’s up with Sid, I’m not blaming him for all struggles directly, but the team was better with Geno as the horse. Make him the horse.

3) start working in riko and other Forward subs for guys who don’t perform. Juggle until you find the guys that will play hard and effective, or until the fire is lit for others.

4) stop beating ourselves. Structure first, then attack. Dump and chase, reduced pinching early on, if it’s not there - regroup. All of a sudden the game will offer the right situations to attack with players in the right position to do it.

5) commitment to physical play. Our identity is speed and skill, but that doesn’t mean it’s good hockey to not finish checks, and let opponents off the hook. Need to get playoff mentality ready. You don’t need to be big and strong, run all over the ice, nor abandon your identity to play the body effectively.

Reactions: ncm7772 and Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Malkin was the only player out there playing with some heart this game.

In January I legit thought this team was a cup contender. What a month can do...

They were, which is what makes this sudden, steep plummet so wild.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Zucker-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Tanev
Bjugstad-Blueger-Rodrigues

Just try it. Do something different.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Zucker-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Tanev
Bjugstad-Blueger-Rodrigues

Just try it. Do something different.

They can shift around the F's all they want, but if no one comes back to help what does it matter?
Don't even get me started on the defensemen who tend to create the problems. JJ and Schultz can't continue.

I'm giving the other 4 a pass for this weekend's "work"

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They can shift around the F's all they want, but if no one comes back to help what does it matter?
Don't even get me started on the defensemen who tend to create the problems. JJ and Schultz can't continue.

I'm giving the other 4 a pass for this weekend's "work"

Riikola and Ruhwedel should both play over JJ/Schultz right now, that’s a given.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I don’t know if the stats back this up but it feels like this team’s secondary scoring has just f***ing disappeared.

The team can’t defend, the goalies can’t stop anything, and the only guys that score are Malkin/Crosby or the players on their lines. And even then Crosby hasn’t been good.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I could see part of the reason 2 of our more emotional guys didn’t do media is that they wouldn’t have been able to control their answers PR wise will enough. While I do think you need to be a professional, I don’t hate it if it came from a place of not wanting to make locker room matters worse. They can speak to it next non-off day.

I do think sully needs to manufacture a spark, and get things righted starting next game.

1) Play a line with Laff Tanev and Angello heavily early in the next game. Tell them to go play on the edge and stir things up (that doesn’t mean cheap shots, but in hockey you can set a tone that you are there for an f’in battle.) Drag the team into a heated game where we can’t overthink.

2) Geno should get the top mates and play clear top minutes. Idk what’s up with Sid, I’m not blaming him for all struggles directly, but the team was better with Geno as the horse. Make him the horse.

3) start working in riko and other Forward subs for guys who don’t perform. Juggle until you find the guys that will play hard and effective, or until the fire is lit for others.

4) stop beating ourselves. Structure first, then attack. Dump and chase, reduced pinching early on, if it’s not there - regroup. All of a sudden the game will offer the right situations to attack with players in the right position to do it.

5) commitment to physical play. Our identity is speed and skill, but that doesn’t mean it’s good hockey to not finish checks, and let opponents off the hook. Need to get playoff mentality ready. You don’t need to be big and strong, run all over the ice, nor abandon your identity to play the body effectively.

I have to disagree with #5. You do have to be strong to play the body on a consistent basis. Yes, anyone can lay out a perfect check that wrecks and opponent and feels soft as butter on the delivering end. But most collisions are not of this type. A smaller, frailer body will most definitely take a toll going up against a larger, stronger player.

I specifically remember going after an opposing Dman, that was a mountain of man, who was taking liberties on our team early and often. I lined him up perfectly, but when we collided, he barely moved and I experienced pain that I had never felt before. It hurt me to my core... my bones hurt, my head hurt... I think I remember my toes even being in pain.

There is a reason why teams see value in grit. The Pens no longer have this in their repertoire, and you better believe this will be the first area of weakness that any playoff opponent will try to exploit this spring.

Last edited:

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I blame this all on when they traded a late 1st and the super athlete, an elite sure fire hall of famer, best player in the history of ever, future conquer of all of Gretzky's records, inventor of the sport of hockey, the warrior of the wasteland, and the ayatollah of rock and rolla Calen Addison, for Zucker what a waste of a trade that was.

Reactions: ncm7772

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think any discussion revolving around how our top end talent looks in any given game from here on out is pointless.

They see the roster for what it is, their experience tells them that they can't compete against the big boys in the east this year. As you get older, you get wiser. You no longer have unlimited energy to waste on a lost cause.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It will make very little difference as long as the forwards don't bother to defend.
Still, dressing the right people is... Y'know, the correct thing to do.

Riikola should be playing over any and all of JJ, Petts, Schultz, Trotman and Ruhwedel. That's been the case for weeks, but here we are.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think any discussion revolving around how our top end talent looks in any given game from here on out is pointless.

They see the roster for what it is, their experience tells them that they can't compete against the big boys in the east this year. As you get older, you get wiser. You no longer have unlimited energy to waste on a lost cause.

As you know, I do think there's something to this whether it's at the forefront of the player's consciousness or not...

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Apr 9, 2009
USA
My main issue is that considering how bad literally half of our defenders half been, Riikola at least deserves a game here or there. The team is losing at a fairly unprecedented rate for this group.

Maybe, you know, try something different.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For the record, I think it'd be funny if we missed the playoffs entirely. :laugh: And honestly, maybe it wouldn't be the worst outcome in the world. Miss the playoffs and get a new set of ideas/eyeballs in the front office and behind the bench, maybe some legitimate improvements and changes will be made--or make the playoffs, barely limping into the post season, only to get absolutely embarrassed at the hands of someone like Philly.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I didn't see the 3rd period much but one thing I noticed early on was how well the Canes prepared for the Pens. They knew every set-up the Pens had. Played their PK perfectly, attacking the weak spots. The turnovers were because the Canes knew the passing lanes the Pens like to do. Rust did his patented "gain the zone, stop, look for diagonal back pass that wasn't there" turnover.

It is getting closer to the playoffs and the teams that want to make it are starting to finally game plan. The Caps and Canes both fed on what they saw on tape. Sully needs to change things up. The D can't do outlet passes because the opposition knows the lanes. We can't sustain zone time because we are trying the same things. Again, for the third time, Sully is part of the problem...he needs to change things up and I sense the stars know this...the strategies are predictable and stale

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I have to disagree with #5. You do have to be strong to play the body on a consistent basis.

There is a reason why teams see value in grit. The Pens no longer have this in their repertoire, and you better believe this will be the first area of weakness that any playoff opponent will try to exploit this spring.

I’m going to say I appreciate the story, and most of what you said describes my frustrations with the direction of our roster.

I was a mountain of a player and honestly a devastating hitter.

my only area to clarify is that I’m not even talking about devastating open ice hits or even playing a style to prioritize looking for hits.

I just notice when we forecheck, or in neutral zone coverage, and at times in the d zone - we just skate past players who are in the process of finishing playing the puck, often who are stationary, safely positioned near or against the boards. Our players would not need to go out of their way to play the body, nor put themselves out of position on the current or resulting play. It’s just not championship winning hockey to not be physically engaged.

My point related to this game and our recent struggles wasn’t to debate speed and skill vs physicality, nor to really debate our current roster and identity. It is more to say checking is a hockey fundamental. When utilized properly, it’s part of playing the game to maximum potential. Right now are team is failing at this fundamental and I believe it is an element of why we are losing, losing listlessly, and struggle against other top tier teams.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I didn't see the 3rd period much but one thing I noticed early on was how well the Canes prepared for the Pens. They knew every set-up the Pens had. Played their PK perfectly, attacking the weak spots. The turnovers were because the Canes knew the passing lanes the Pens like to do. Rust did his patented "gain the zone, stop, look for diagonal back pass that wasn't there" turnover.

Is it really that difficult to prepare for our PP? You could run tape from 3 months ago and it would be current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad