Post-Game Talk: Pens/Caps Post Game Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Lol. All coaches have a shelf life. Not saying we are reaching the end of his, bit it's possible. He's nowhere near an awful coach though.

I don't think we have. The team hasn't quit, they just can't figure things out right now. Out shooting a rival on the road to the degree we did tonight doesn't suggest a team that has quit on its coach.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Disagree.

If you truly love to play, play as long as possible. You only get one life, don't squander years of doing something you love or wondering what could have been, just because of what people might think.
I guess that's where we're different. For me it wouldn't just be about loving the game, but also making an honest assessment of what I'm capable of and how I want it to end. I'd rather finish my career as a winner. Plus, it's not like retiring means abandoning hockey all together.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When Sprong is traded I hope he dishes on how he was treated. I really hope he just goes on a tirade about all of it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think we have. The team hasn't quit, they just can't figure things out right now. Out shooting a rival on the road to the degree we did tonight doesn't suggest a team that has quit on its coach.

I agree. I'm still a big Sully fan, but just recognizing that maybe Sully won't work out in the long run. It's easier to fire a coach than blow up the core. I definitely think it's premature to consider a coaching change.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Best news from my perspective is JR is unhappy and is willing to make changes soon. Problem is Sprong's name floating out there as a change does nothing to spark the team. He's a nobody right now and should have more upside than trade value.
Sometimes trades are meant to livin things up a bit. Yes you want to improve your team, but also changing up things even a little can help. The team just seems very stale an until tonight rather uninspired since the road trip. New blood can help invigorate this team even if over time it wears off. The talent I believe is there but we need a bit of a spark.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When Sprong is traded I hope he actually gets the puck on net with some traffic.

38 games. 4 nhl goals in 3 games for an “elite sniper”. Can’t even score at a 10 goal per season pace.
Yeah how dare he not score with 8mins of ice time and mostly dz starts with a bottom 6 that is producing much less than he is.

I mean it's clear as the skies in Seattle.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah how dare he not score with 8mins of ice time and mostly dz starts with a bottom 6 that is producing much less than he is.

I mean it's clear as the skies in Seattle.

Can’t wait until he gets trade a burns out. It’ll be even better because he’ll probably have a good stretch when he’s initially traded than just suck for 30 games.

He does nothing for our team and he’s being outplayed by Simon. Which is a joke because our coach seems to hate Simon equally. He just actually produces.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Also true.

I think we're more or less the team we were last year. We're not this bad. This is a blip. An ugly blip, but a blip.

You know, the team we were last year didn’t win anything...the team were last year had these exact same problems with the Caps and had great looks at Holtby and didn’t get anything past him...change more and we’ll get a different result (hopefully that result’s better...:)

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
What does the statement have anything to do with your question? Are you suggesting there aren't any quality options currently available within worldwide hockey? I have to believe there is at least several assistant coaches in the NHL and at least several coaches in the AHL that are on many organizations watchlist.
I thought the question was quite simple and clear. I'll try this again, making it as cut and dry as possible: Sullivan sucks. He needs replaced. Who is his replacement?

Saying "there might be a guy in the AHL", "I'm sure there's somebody in-house" or "there's somebody on the planet that can coach" doesn't exactly answer the question. If you're willing to suggest that he should pack his bags, cool. But the question wasn't about if there was a capable replacement, but who would be considered a viable replacement.

There's not a right or a wrong answer to this question. Well, aside from Quennville, which would be an obvious wrong answer. ;)

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Should definitely get more games that’s for sure. He’s currently outplaying Murray.
DeSmith is currently playing better than Murray but not by that much. If you break down their 5v5 Sv%:
  • Low Danger Sv%: DeSmith > Murray by 1.18%
  • Mid Danger Sv%: DeSmith > Murray by 2.5%
  • High Danger Sv%: Murray > DeSmith by 0.42%
So you'd think their overall Sv% would be closer except that the Pens are giving DeSmith a much easier workload:
  • Murray has the 2nd Lowest % of Low Danger Chances against in the NHL (38%)
  • DeSmith has the 3rd Highest % of Low Danger Chances against in the NHL (54%).
  • Murray has the 12th Highest % of High Danger Chances against in the NHL (27%)
  • DeSmith has the 12th Lowest % of High Danger Chances against in the NHL (17%)
Murray has had a much harder work load for whatever reason. Anecdotally, you may say the Pens play better in front of DeSmith. I think it's more prudent to say the sample size is so small that one or two bad games by the Pens can heavily skew the percentages. But nonetheless, DeSmith at the moment is outperforming his Expected Save% of his lighter workload by 1.29% while Murray is underperforming his xSv% of his more burdensome games by 1.63%.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
On my phone so someone else will have to find the quote (I know it is on Twitter):

Apparently Oshie said he thinks Malkin was bracing for a hit and threw a reverse shoulder in response. Oshie said he did the same thing earlier in the game. Oshie then said he wasn't trying to throw a hit in that spot since he was on the PK.

So FWIW Oshie seems to think the outcome was accidental rather than intentional.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The problem right now is that this has become the team that JR inherited. He doesny really have the pieces he'd willingly move to do anything more profound than what he did in 2015-2016, he's got a coach who's doubled down on abstinence and an unwillingness to adapt, and he's got an old top heavy roster desperate for some youth and energy.

Tough spot. Maybe tougher than 3 years ago because the cupboard in WBS is a lot barer and I'm not sure a coaching change will be seen as an in season option.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Can’t wait until he gets trade a burns out. It’ll be even better because he’ll probably have a good stretch when he’s initially traded than just suck for 30 games.

He does nothing for our team and he’s being outplayed by Simon. Which is a joke because our coach seems to hate Simon equally. He just actually produces.
Simon plays every game with Crosby :laugh: pretty big difference between Sid and 43 year old Cullen.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The problem right now is that this has become the team that JR inherited. He doesny really have the pieces he'd willingly move to do anything more profound than what he did in 2015-2016, he's got a coach who's doubled down on abstinence and an unwillingness to adapt, and he's got an old top heavy roster desperate for some youth and energy.

Tough spot. Maybe tougher than 3 years ago because the cupboard in WBS is a lot barer and I'm not sure a coaching change will be seen as an in season option.

Well if the losing continues he’s going to be moving either players or the coaches....he won’t be sitting on his hands....if he chooses not to move the obstinate coach, then he’s gotta move some players to get more speed, and I’m talking forwards, not just Maatta....or he can get some fresh ideas in here for how to work with current roster....because it’s his job to try to keep the team in contention if he can ...how long will he wait is the question

If we keep playing like tonight and losing, Sully will stay but it means the grinders gotta go and we need more scoring skill in the lineup....sounds crazy but we may need more finishers....what will Sully do then?

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I can't wait until he does so your shit can end.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
superstar Sprong

That's MR superstar Sprong to you, my good sir.

Didn't see the game but sounds like I got my wish with a good effort. Sucks losing but if the team don't find their groove and just luck out some points, in the end those points will be meaningless anyway. Of course finding the groove too late and missing out on points right now could also hurt in the end.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Make some trades JR

Gonna struggle do it now.

Not a popular opinion but still say we should trade Brassard. Just not a grear fit. And injuries all of a sudden since coming to Pitt.

Team was the best in the league at the time right before the deadline...sheahan great with Kessel. Firing on all cylinders. Overkill imo. Felt like the Iginla move. We won 2 cups without Brassard..we dont need him. Either trade for a dman equivalent or even a first rounder and let someone else get a chance. Stack up first rounders to extend this era(yeah I know..another unpopular imo..but again...dont think we need Brassard to win).

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Make some trades JR

Gonna struggle do it now.

Not a popular opinion but still say we should trade Brassard. Just not a grear fit. And injuries all of a sudden since coming to Pitt
It's gonna be funny af when Jr makes trades for other solid players and they're not used well or they're injured all the time and don't work in a system that others have taken and evolved but our own coaching staff hasn't.

Brass, you're probably better off sitting on the IR.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wouldn't start by looking to trade Brass.
I'd look at Olli, Rust, Sprong. Maybe someone highly values a Sheahan for his FO/PK'ing ability.
I'd waive Cullen as well once Brass got back, since you have plenty of young legs in Wilkes to play 4LW(thats if Sheahan remains of course).
And if you can't let go of Sully(if the losing continues), get a new/experienced set of eyes(and voice) in here in place of a sophmore behind the bench in Recchi. Let Recchi stay for all i care and radio down from the rafters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad