Post-Game Talk: Pens/Caps Post Game Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So? Di Pauli does way more away from the score sheet and so does Blueger.

Also wonder how much PP mins and total mins Wilson is getting compared to them, can't just compare points with no context.

He has ZERO upside.

Do they?

Would that matter when we need players who can do things for us on the scoresheet?

Reactions: fastb

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This losing streak is a bit of a mirage though. We should have won tonight, should have won the second Islanders game. We had bad luck to lose both.

Really more of a 2-3 stretch if we're getting the right puck luck. Still bad, but not as bad as it looks.

Fair, but that 4 game road trip was also a bit of a mirage. A goal here or there let up by Murray and it's a different trip. Things have a fair way of averaging out and I think this current Pens team as constructed with Sully at the helm are who exactly they are.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He’s busy teaching kids like my daughter how to shoot.

I know, don’t say it...
0BXkJfq.gif

Ok, fine....

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Sully continues to suck. The guy is an awful coach. The only thing more surprising than Sully winning 2 cups is the fact Bylsma won a cup as a coach.
ok, I'll play the game. Let's get rid of Sullivan. He sucks. He's **** terrible.

Who's his replacement?

(and please, please don't waste everybody's time by saying Q.)

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll never understand why he didn't just retire after the last Cup. Go out on top.
The problem is he's played every single game as a 42yr old in this league.

Managing his minutes and games is what keeps a guy like that potent and the team has done a piss poor job of it. What point is this depth if you aren't going to use it? Grant sucks big time, but Blueger should have been called up in place of Wilson and Cullen should have had the game off.

Like jeez, Wilson got better opportunities in this line-up than Sprong.

Wilson is a career nobody.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
ok, I'll play the game. Let's get rid of Sullivan. He sucks. He's **** terrible.

Who's his replacement?

What does the statement have anything to do with your question? Are you suggesting there aren't any quality options currently available within worldwide hockey? I have to believe there is at least several assistant coaches in the NHL and at least several coaches in the AHL that are on many organizations watchlist.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Was Oshie's eye injury the reason he skated into Malkin?

Strange game. Pens played well enough to win but didn't.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sully continues to suck. The guy is an awful coach. The only thing more surprising than Sully winning 2 cups is the fact Bylsma won a cup as a coach.

There's a difference here to be learned.

Sully didn't steal a guys playbook to go onto win a cup.

Sully came in and addressed the Penguins biggest issue to date then, and they needed it, they needed to hear it from an outsiders point of view that many inside refused to see.

They took a raw team at that point with so many new roster players and made them hum.... You can't fault Sully for not having all the right players and the team letting go of what helped make them who they were accountable after. This was clearly a retool that went wrong, and loss of depth, injuries and complacent players.

I think they played well and lost. Both teams got good looks in. I'd take more of these games as long as they start winning some of them. 1 goal games.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Who's his replacement?

I'd say there's a good chance that it's a internal guy or the 2019 version of Mike Johnson. By the time we realize that MJ 2.0 is no good, even if we find a good replacement, the window will be basically closed.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Fair, but that 4 game road trip was also a bit of a mirage. A goal here or there let up by Murray and it's a different trip. Things have a fair way of averaging out and I think this current Pens team as constructed with Sully at the helm are who exactly they are.

Also true.

I think we're more or less the team we were last year. We're not this bad. This is a blip. An ugly blip, but a blip.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
DeSmith made some HUGE early saves and then we got on our horse. We lost, but how would this game have looked if we were down 2-0 early on?
That is the difference your goalie makes in the game. Holtby is still the luckiest goalie i have ever watched. He did do quite a bit of good, but damn he was lucky as well.

ZAR brought what he should have for this game. Wilson did some good out there too. Pretty sure this means Sprong is stapled to the bench until the trade.

We should be resting Cullen. He looks 42 years old out there. We really need Brassard back and as 3rd pivot.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Our schedule is pretty hard this month. Losing all these winnable games hurts. We still have to play the Devils again who we struggle with, the Lightning, Boston, Columbus, and Colorado. All tough games.

So that's a negative.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hopefully Brassard can come back a perform. But the need for line stability and consistency has to emerge. Pens have an issue at RD and while Ruhwedel can help, he is not the best solution until mid February.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
For the life of me...I can't figure out how Wilson gets a NHL game over guys like Di Pauli or Blueger.

Sullivan needs to get way more creative with his lines instead of flipping back to old lines after one period.

Though, the team did play well and outplayed the Caps, should've won.

Penguins need to get faster. The rest of the leauge caught up and some fast bottom six wings like a Di Pauli would be nice....instead of Garrett Wilson.

By being the leading scorer on WBS with NHL experience. Recalls should be based on merit and based on merit, Wilson deserved the call.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Lol. All coaches have a shelf life. Not saying we are reaching the end of his, bit it's possible. He's nowhere near an awful coach though.

Reactions: BHD

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Best news from my perspective is JR is unhappy and is willing to make changes soon. Problem is Sprong's name floating out there as a change does nothing to spark the team. He's a nobody right now and should have more upside than trade value.

Reactions: canadianguy77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad