Post-Game Talk: Pens/Caps Post Game Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I dunno. They just got some awful bounces, posts... the puck just wouldn't go in. I thought they played teriffic (besides the penalties).

Agreed, I thought they played well. But damn, after losing 4 in a row, such a bummer go see a loss like last night.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
What do you expect him to say?

Oshie is a heart and soul player and basically their Hornqvist.
Nothing? He doesn't have to throw his teammate under the bus, I get that, but he also doesn't have to defend someone who's injured multiple people and had multiple suspensions for headshots.

Sorry, but being a good teammate isn't a good excuse for supporting the worst offender in the league for headshots and concussions.

Reactions: ETA and Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Oh good grief.

I mean, nothing else apart, if he thinks Rutherford is talking rubbish with his comments, I just don't know what to say. There's a case for asking Rutherford about what his share of blame is too, but to say there isn't a large amount of truth in his comments? Wow. And I'm 99.9% sure I could find posts from you (or just about any other poster here) querying the players' effort so far this season.

Also, the idea that this is solely down to roster construction? How many people were calling this happening before the season, how many people were seriously worried? Compared to the number of people excited for what we could do with this group of players? I'm not saying that there were no questions at all - but a belief we were headed for this? Its 20/20 hindsight.

And if you're saying that a roster is bad in 20/20 hindsight, you've got to ask to what degree its actually bad or actually underperforming. Particularly when it demonstrates that it can perform to a high level when trying hard.

I could go on and on (no mention of Hagelin's play last season when talking about his level of play here? Saying Horny pads his stats when next to the two-headed monster without looking at the difference he makes to their stats?) but its a bad argument for a bad position.

Wilson’s articles should be floated out to sea. Seriously how does he get paid to write the crap that he does? Oh right by Eklund :laugh:

giphy.gif

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
considering they've tirelessly defended Wilson's illegal hits, they're not the best authorities on what's clean and what's dirty in this league and who's really at fault in situations like this.

their assessment comes in the form of one question: "Did a Caps guy do it?" if the answer is yes, it's clean. if not, it's dirty.
Oh, I know. It’s just too funny over on the main board...

One guy said that Malkin is one of the dirtiest players in the league and if he would have been suspend when he should have been, his games missed due to suspensions would be in the triple digits...

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I thought Oshie was an idiot for skating straight at a guy 6 inches taller than him with his head down, but Malkin didn't have to put his shoulder up. Sure, it might have been a reaction. Or maybe he was taking out frustration. Who knows. But he did make contact with the head when it was possible to avoid the head. Game misconduct but no additional discipline was exactly the right move.

Reactions: domaug

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Wilson’s articles should be floated out to sea. Seriously how does he get paid to write the crap that he does? Oh right by Eklund :laugh:

giphy.gif

Wilson's articles are what they are.

That does not add to or detract from the fact that JR has recreated a team with pretty much the same issues as the one he inherited.

It's a fine line, to be sure, to determine when to be proactive. JR tried to keep the band together, and unfortunately the whole thing, once again, has become top heavy, with older legs, a lack of youthful energy, and a team that is middle of the road at best compared to how fast the rest of the league is and plays.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I thought Oshie was an idiot for skating straight at a guy 6 inches taller than him with his head down, but Malkin didn't have to put his shoulder up. Sure, it might have been a reaction. Or maybe he was taking out frustration. Who knows. But he did make contact with the head when it was possible to avoid the head. Game misconduct but no additional discipline was exactly the right move.

So, if Malkin doesn't brace for the hit and throw a reverse shoulder AND Oshie actually does go for a hit on Geno and plasters and maybe injures him because he's not bracing and taking a proactive stance, then that's okay by you because of what MIGHT happen if Oshie doesn't go for a hit?

I can't imagine that's what you mean, but that's certainly what you're saying.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't agree. Cup in '16 after enormous changes, '17 wasn't much different.

Not trying to be rude, just saying I don't agree. I think the probable changes will help. Cause right now it's just not working.
The only good thing I can take away from JR'S comments is that he thinks maybe the group has been together too long.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
yeah JR and Sully have never responded well to the team struggling. Not ever. Just coasted to the wins in 16 and 17. First sign of struggles in 18 and they fall apart.
Are we still going back to the back to back wins and ignoring last season?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
If Malkin doesn't get tossed I'm 100% convinced they win

Probably.

I
I'd be riding Desmith til he gives you a reason not to start him.

Yep. I'm as big of a Murray fan as there is, but I have no problem admitting that he is struggling right now.

DeSmith isn't the long term answer IMO, but there's no doubt he's been better than Big Murr the first month of the season.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Wilson's articles are what they are.

That does not add to or detract from the fact that JR has recreated a team with pretty much the same issues as the one he inherited.

It's a fine line, to be sure, to determine when to be proactive. JR tried to keep the band together, and unfortunately the whole thing, once again, has become top heavy, with older legs, a lack of youthful energy, and a team that is middle of the road at best compared to how fast the rest of the league is and plays.

Going into the season I was pretty happy with the roster. It wasn’t perfect but it was good enough to let things play out and then make adjustments. It wasn’t like he was sitting on his hands either. He went after Skinner and Domi that I know of.

It’s not quite working now so he’ll need to make some adjustments. Schultz and Brassard injuries obviously hurt but so does the play of Maatta, Rust and Sheahan. To a lesser extent Cullen and Hagelin.

He’s pretty good at trading so we’ll see where it goes and what the AHL call ups can add.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Are we still going back to the back to back wins and ignoring last season?

Contextually during the season was probably more a fatigue issue and the worst schedule ever. That “laziness” has crept in to a bunch of games this season when they shouldn’t have that as an excuse. When they play good structured hockey and work hard it’ll usually end in a win.

Injuries in the playoffs to was the biggest reason for our demise and we still got close and gave a competitive series.

Obviously this season though there is no excuses not to go far.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Why would we ignore any of it? Two years of great moves and one year where they didn't work out.

It's a difference of mentality, it's only human. The likes of Crosby will smash the paddle after losing a game of friendly ping pong. Others will be absolutely fine after winning back to back cups.

Me I'm the same, always hated losing. Doing the same in my professional career, never satisfied and always looking forward towards improvements.

Philosofically this could of course be seen as a flaw. Never enjoying past success (or being in the moment) but always looking forward.

No right or wrong, just an explanation.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Going back to the Rust/Hags comparison, disagree with lumping Hags in there as equal and because Hags is way, way better without the puck. Rust needs the puck on his stick moving north-south to be effective. He’s only ok defensively when he isn’t PKing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's a difference of mentality, it's only human. The likes of Crosby will smash the paddle after losing a game of friendly ping pong. Others will be absolutely fine after winning back to back cups.

Me I'm the same, always hated losing. Doing the same in my professional career, never satisfied and always looking forward towards improvements.

Philosofically this could of course be seen as a flaw. Never enjoying past success (or being in the moment) but always looking forward.

No right or wrong, just an explanation.
I'm not talking about being upset or critical of the team. I understand that even if I'm on the other side of the spectrum.

He was saying the pens never make the right changes when things are going badly. Ignoring 16 and 17 on that topic makes no sense. It's not a difference of opinion or point of view. Its just blatantly incorrect to say the pens under jr and sully never make the right changes. They both did great work to make the changes that brought those back to back cups.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I'm not talking about being upset or critical of the team. I understand that even if I'm on the other side of the spectrum.

He was saying the pens never make the right changes when things are going badly. Ignoring 16 and 17 on that topic makes no sense. It's not a difference of opinion or point of view. Its just blatantly incorrect to say the pens under jr and sully never make the right changes. They both did great work to make the changes that brought those back to back cups.

Oh then I must have missed the point. Agree they did make changes.

I will disagree with Sullivans changes outside of 16 though. When he came in he preached accountability and walked the walk.

Some might fool themselves, but there have been no accountability since from Sullivan. Which was one of the reasons why GMJR had to get rid of some of his toys this year.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh then I must have missed the point. Agree they did make changes.

I will disagree with Sullivans changes outside of 16 though. When he came in he preached accountability and walked the walk.

Some might fool themselves, but there have been no accountability since from Sullivan. Which was one of the reasons why GMJR had to get rid of some of his toys this year.
He's had issues, sure. I think you have to give credit for what he did with that 17 team too. That was an amazing feat to win with that defense without Letang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad