Rumor: Pens and Others interested in Alex Edler

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
People are overrating the value of Edler. This is comical.

He is Vancouver's #1 dman, albeit not a great one.

Last year among defenseman he was 40th in points (missed 12 games), 19th for TOI/G, 27th for hits, 3rd for blocked shots. Also has coveted size at 6'3 212lbs. This year he is on a .5 Point per game pace, playing over 22 minutes, and leads the NHL in blocked shots.

One comparable - Sekera was traded for a 1st and a decent prospect (recent 2nd rounder McKeown).

For the 2014-2015 season Sekera was 72nd among defenseman in points (missed 9 games), 57th for TOI/G, 147th for hits, and 65th for blocked shots. Also doesn't bring anything in terms of size (6'0) or physicality.

Also keep in mind that LA was a bubble team vs the Pens being a top team and actually missed the playoffs. The condition allowed LA to move their pick to the following year. The pick ended up being 21st overall - Penguins pick would likely be 27-31 and there is a decent gap in value.

Brendan Smith who is a far lower value player (18: 44 TOI/G) got a 2nd & 3rd round pick. He was waived the following year after signing with New York.

Kevin Shattenkirk returned A 1st, 2nd, and recent 2nd round pick. Sure he is a better offensive dman but was averaging just 19:51 TOI / G and his defensive ability (or lack there of) is often the subject of debate.

So not sure what exactly you find comical. Edler is far from being Kris Letang but he is a very good NHL dman. Just because he plays for the Canucks doesn't mean he sucks. A late first and a prospect looks to be the market value.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Edler has been great in the past 2 years, it's kind of great that he is progressing and getting better every year now

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
People are overrating the value of Edler. This is comical.
Have you seen him play last 2 years? He has been great, defensively reliable, big, hits at times, puts up decent points, PP and PK, guy is a #1b

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Have you seen him play last 2 years? He has been great, defensively reliable, big, hits at times, puts up decent points, PP and PK, guy is a #1b
Edler has been great in the past 2 years, it's kind of great that he is progressing and getting better every year now

who. like Tanev can not stay healthy. Lets not kid ourselves kids. Edler and Tavev do not have the value to other teams as they have to the Canucks. My fellow Canuck fans refuse to admit certain things. Edler is 32 and his body is starting to breakdown

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
who. like Tanev can not stay healthy. Lets not kid ourselves kids. Edler and Tavev do not have the value to other teams as they have to the Canucks. My fellow Canuck fans refuse to admit certain things. Edler is 32 and his body is starting to breakdown
The past couple of games aren’t indicative how much the Canucks rely on Edler/Tanev and just the difference in success without them should show these guys have good value as hockey players.
Edler is still a decent producer on the PP and Tanev is a huge contributor without the puck making plays at the line on break ups and zone exits.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
He is Vancouver's #1 dman, albeit not a great one.

Last year among defenseman he was 40th in points (missed 12 games), 19th for TOI/G, 27th for hits, 3rd for blocked shots. Also has coveted size at 6'3 212lbs. This year he is on a .5 Point per game pace, playing over 22 minutes, and leads the NHL in blocked shots.

One comparable - Sekera was traded for a 1st and a decent prospect (recent 2nd rounder McKeown).

For the 2014-2015 season Sekera was 72nd among defenseman in points (missed 9 games), 57th for TOI/G, 147th for hits, and 65th for blocked shots. Also doesn't bring anything in terms of size (6'0) or physicality.

Also keep in mind that LA was a bubble team vs the Pens being a top team and actually missed the playoffs. The condition allowed LA to move their pick to the following year. The pick ended up being 21st overall - Penguins pick would likely be 27-31 and there is a decent gap in value.

Brendan Smith who is a far lower value player (18: 44 TOI/G) got a 2nd & 3rd round pick. He was waived the following year after signing with New York.

Kevin Shattenkirk returned A 1st, 2nd, and recent 2nd round pick. Sure he is a better offensive dman but was averaging just 19:51 TOI / G and his defensive ability (or lack there of) is often the subject of debate.

So not sure what exactly you find comical. Edler is far from being Kris Letang but he is a very good NHL dman. Just because he plays for the Canucks doesn't mean he sucks. A late first and a prospect looks to be the market value.

Cool ... he is the top Dman on one of the worst teams in the NHL; pending UFA making 5 million and teams need to give up a ton because other idiot GMs overpaid for equal or worse defensemen. You can't use the Brendan Smith, or Shattenkirk or any other examples you used because those trades were made in other years. That alone makes your comments wrong. He is worth what someone will play; not what teams paid for Shattenkirk or others as rentals.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Last 2 years of Edler from an analytics standpoint:

L1ZckZe.png

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Cool ... he is the top Dman on one of the worst teams in the NHL; pending UFA making 5 million and teams need to give up a ton because other idiot GMs overpaid for equal or worse defensemen. You can't use the Brendan Smith, or Shattenkirk or any other examples you used because those trades were made in other years. That alone makes your comments wrong. He is worth what someone will play; not what teams paid for Shattenkirk or others as rentals.
Teams always overpay at deadlines. Every year, without fail.

Look at Ottawa Burrows deal.

Sj, Hansen for Goldobin and a 4th.

Talking good pick ups for players far less valuable than Edler is right now. I don’t dispute that Canucks fans over value Edler but let’s not kid ourselves, Edler is very effective and someone will overpay.

Mark my words, the Canucks will get a 1st rounder for him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we end up trading him I'd think we'd at least want a 1st round pick and a good prospect. I'd prefer a young defenseman that has already been drafted with top pairing upside over the pick, but it would depend on the candidate.

How realistic do you think this is? I mean Karlsson didn't even bring back someone like that. When was the last TD rental that returned someone who was seen as having that sort of potential/upside?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I've bashed Edler over his time with the Canucks but he has changed a lot. He's a reliable top pairing shutdown guy now. Not much of an offensive threat but he can move the puck up the ice well.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pens don’t need Edler

No, not really. But I'd still absolutely LOVE to get him. The biggest issue is Pittsburgh would need to send out some salary to afford him. And the only two guys I could see them moving would be Sheahan or Oleksiak... and likely the latter. But a blueline like the below for the POs would be huge.

Edler/Dumo - Letang
Edler/Dumo - Schultz
Maatta - Johnson

With Riikola & Ruhwedel as the extra's.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
JR walks away from that laughing because he's not going to give up anything near that for Edler.

A 1st for him isn't all that outlandish. The 1st+ good prospect is, but then I don't think that he'll return that. It will also really depend on who else is part of the trade. If it's happening with Pittsburgh, then someone making 1-2m (with Van retaining) has to be going back the other way as I don't think they'd have the cap space any other way.
With Schultz out Pens if they make a move will add a RH D man. No interest in any LH D men.

We currently have 4D who can all play RD in Johnson, Ruhwedel, Riikola and Oleksiak and that's not counting Letang. Then add in that Schultz should be back before the POs, and I don't see the need for a RD being all that pressing, vs adding the best D possible for a PO run. And if you're looking at potential rentals... Edler would be a very good deadline add. He's good defensively, can skate, can handle the puck and can move it in transition, has size and can play big minutes. He'd be an ideal add to bolster our blueline depth - think of a much better version of Hainsey... who can skate and actually handle the puck.

Pass on Edler for a 1st and prospect. I'd look elsewhere for a Dman that has term unless he wants to re-sign a Penguin.

I doubt we could afford that D anyway - unless we're going to move Maatta.... and despite what our board thinks, I do not see any trades where Maatta is moved in season.

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015

Sorry my apologies for backing up my statement with researched statistics and comparable trades. Also of course the trades were in other years - how am I supposed to predict trades from this year's deadline?

Also as a Pens fan have you even watched Edler play more than a handful of times? I live in the East now (Pens fan & follow the Leafs) and staying up to watch the Canucks is hard. But I still managed.

Now anybody who had watched the Canucks this year knows how important Edler has been.

Vancouver was near the top in the league on the penalty kill. Against Winnipeg Edler gets two penalties and Winnipeg capitalizes on both (Tanev forced to the left side and then Gudbranson came in on the right).

Then Vancouver loses Tanev & Edler against Las Vegas. Next two games gets outscored 9-1. Keep in mind that Vancouver was 6-4 - they were not a bad team. When there was optimism around the Canucks I said all it will take is for one of (or both) of Tanev and Edler to get injured and everything will far apart. Looks to be the case thus far.

Last edited:

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
No, not really. But I'd still absolutely LOVE to get him. The biggest issue is Pittsburgh would need to send out some salary to afford him. And the only two guys I could see them moving would be Sheahan or Oleksiak... and likely the latter. But a blueline like the below for the POs would be huge.

Edler/Dumo - Letang
Edler/Dumo - Schultz
Maatta - Johnson

Canucks are loaded financially with a tonne of cap space. They could easily retain half of Edler's salary and probably would.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Canucks are loaded financially with a tonne of cap space. They could easily retain half of Edler's salary and probably would.

Given that he's a UFA, that's not the issue (at least for PIT). Realistically Pittsburgh would need to shed some salary. It's possible that they could just send Riikola and his 925k contract to the minors... but unless things work out perfectly cap wise I don't think that is enough.

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
Given that he's a UFA, that's not the issue (at least for PIT). Realistically Pittsburgh would need to shed some salary. It's possible that they could just send Riikola and his 925k contract to the minors... but unless things work out perfectly cap wise I don't think that is enough.

That is a good point. Also I haven't really commented specifically on the Pens. I don't think Edler would be a good fit as he only plays left side (disaster on the right) and the Pens are pretty loaded up for left D.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Edler/Dumo - Letang
Edler/Dumo - Schultz
Maatta - Johnson

Agreed, however don’t you want to slowly make your team younger? You have won cups and have everything you ask for. The cost of Edler would be the cost of a decent young D I’d imagine.

For the starters you listed age wise:
Edler: 32
Letang: 31
Johnson: 31
Dumo: 27
Schultz: 28
Maata: 24 (he’s very promising correct?)

By no means is this a D core that is out of use but I just don’t see the benefit of another 30+ yr old at this point. Not to mention to deal with the salary moving as you said.

However you know your team much better then me so I’m probably missing something

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agreed, however don’t you want to slowly make your team younger? You have won cups and have everything you ask for. The cost of Edler would be the cost of a decent young D I’d imagine.

By no means is this a D core that is out of use but I just don’t see the benefit of another 30+ yr old at this point. Not to mention to deal with the salary moving as you said.

However you know your team much better then me so I’m probably missing something

He'd be a rental. Pittsburgh almost certainly wouldn't be signing him afterwards due to cap already spent on the blueline and his expected contract demands... so I don't see what the issue there is with his age. The guy is still absolutely a top 4 blueliner, and one who's abilities would make Pittsburgh's blueline better. Given that Pittsburgh's team will change after this season (Brassard gone, Guentzel getting a raise, etc), this is their best shot at a cup in the next several years.

That is a good point. Also I haven't really commented specifically on the Pens. I don't think Edler would be a good fit as he only plays left side (disaster on the right) and the Pens are pretty loaded up for left D.

You'd get him to play on one of the top 2 pairings as a LD. We have a lot of guys who can play RD (Ruhwedel, Johnson, Oleksiak, Riikola, Letang and Schultz), that that wouldn't be an issue. The issue is that of the guys we have, many have a flaw of sorts. Maatta isn't all that fleet of foot, and doesn't seem to handle playing 20+ minutes all that well. Johnson makes mental mistakes and Oleksiak isn't someone you want playing big minutes in big games. You get Elder, and suddenly you have someone you can pair with Letang or with Schultz (with Dumoulin taking the other pairing). That's putting the pens in a very good situation.

Last edited:

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
Jets should look at this.

Somewhat unrelated, but what are the Jets going to do for cap space next year? They have Myers 5.5 coming off the books but they still got to replace him. Connor could get 6 million, Laine 11 million. Also if Trouba stays healthy and puts up 50 points he could also get up to 7.5.

I don't think Edler waives is NTC to go to Winnipeg. But if he does, I could see Kulikov coming back to clear up cap space for next season.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Somewhat unrelated, but what are the Jets going to do for cap space next year? They have Myers 5.5 coming off the books but they still got to replace him. Connor could get 6 million, Laine 11 million. Also if Trouba stays healthy and puts up 50 points he could also get up to 7.5.

I don't think Edler waives is NTC to go to Winnipeg. But if he does, I could see Kulikov coming back to clear up cap space for next season.

Laine 11m? That would make him the second higher paid forward in the league. Trouba probably has to be traded for some assets before in becomes a UFA in summer of 2020. Trouba at 7.5m that would put in in the top 10 Dmen. Really? Although Perrault and Little are playing well, can you afford both guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad