Rumor: Pens and Others interested in Alex Edler

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I think Edler will waive. His contract ending. If Benning tell Edler we are not going to offer you a contract. It doesn't make sense for him wanting to play after the trade deadline with the Canucks.

A late 1st or a young potential top 4 D will need to come back.

I actually don't mind resigning Edler for 3 yrs. Next year Hughes Edler Juolevi will all be the 3 left side D. Hutton is playing a lot better. Maybe Canucks can trade Hutton instead.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Purely from the Pens org, they dont have what the Canucks need, which are D prospects. Their best d prospect is...Calen Addison? Kind of irrelevant since they have Quinn Hughes in the system as a smaller offensive dman. So probably just a first + a B prospect. Hallander? Dont know much about him though.

Edler is a horse for the Canucks. Plays 24 minutes + in all situations. He would easily eat up 22-24 minutes in Pittsburgh. Just dont play him on the PP, which he obviously wouldnt. At least not the PP1
if that's what it'll take, they should stay far away from Edler.

not that i think they should go for him anyway.

Canucks and Pens seem like bad trade partners for a swap like this.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Until there's some reason to believe Edler himself has changed his stance on his NTC, there is no reason to discuss a trade of any kind to anywhere. He sounded just like the Sedin twins, saying he would not leave VAN.

It doesn't matter who is interested in Edler if he isn't interested in leaving.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
If he agrees to move to a handful of playoff teams it will create a bit of a bidding war, he will be that covered
I easily see a first/decent prospect as a main piece plus another piece or 2 if he agrees to move before re-signing in offseason

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Edler has just been phenomenal for us in recent years. My first choice would be to re-sign him for 3 years at a rate of around 6mil per season. I see him as a perfect candidate to have around to help stabilize a rebuilding team, and I could still see him being a viable top 4 defenseman in his mid to late 30s.

If we end up trading him I'd think we'd at least want a 1st round pick and a good prospect. I'd prefer a young defenseman that has already been drafted with top pairing upside over the pick, but it would depend on the candidate.
Wait you would give a 32 year old a pay raise? If he wants to be here I bet he would take 4-4.5 to stay, seems to love the city and not want to leave. My first choice would be trade him for assets and resign him in the offseason if he truely wants to be here.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
What’s with the pens and going after washed up burnt out dmen

We like to make them win Stanley Cups!!!

All jokes aside, Edler is still better then Hainsey or JJ is right now
I don't think we see much movement from us anyways, Schultz will be back in January-February and that will be our #2 pp qb

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
With Schultz out Pens if they make a move will add a RH D man. No interest in any LH D men.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
That was insanely long ago he said that. Literally the whole team is gone from the time he said that. He’ll waive now.
It's reasonable to speculate his opinion may have changed. It's obviously not reasonable to assert that it must have changed. No one knows whether he's willing to waive or not

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I pray to God JR stays away from Edler. We don't have the cap space, so that means we would have to give up more assets for Vancouver to retain. I'm opposed to forking over another first round pick for a rental.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Maata for Edler is gross to me. No thanks there. Picks and prospects. I don’t want slow moving defenceman on this team, they already have Gudbranson on 2 more years!

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Like the return on Schneider, Burrows, Bieksa, and Hansen? Ok. You’re a lazy troll lol.
What about others? Ok never mind forgot Vancouver has done a great job selling assets according to you. Carry on. Don't call people trolls when you can't even understand what they are alluding to.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
A first round pick and a good prospect or a young defenceman with top pairing upside (Dobson/Bouchard type? Makar?) seem like steep asks considering what McDonagh got last year. Edler is better than we give him credit for but that's pretty steep to me. Might be better off just re signing him, although dealing him for futures would be a smart play.

Any team with a top pairing potential defender like Makar is going to gamble on their prospect before trading for Edler.

Reactions: Critical91

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver has a nice young forward core. I assume they'd want a young D back. Outside fan view. I like Edler's game a lot this year so far.

He's been quite good since Last January.

that said expecting a trade similar to what we got in return for Hassen/Burrows. 1 of the other teams higher end prospects.

I think Edler will waive. His contract ending. If Benning tell Edler we are not going to offer you a contract. It doesn't make sense for him wanting to play after the trade deadline with the Canucks.

A late 1st or a young potential top 4 D will need to come back.

I actually don't mind resigning Edler for 3 yrs. Next year Hughes Edler Juolevi will all be the 3 left side D. Hutton is playing a lot better. Maybe Canucks can trade Hutton instead.

keep in mind he's really settled into Vancouver and has a young family, teams might have to be aware that he might not sign with the team he might go back to Vancouver, unless vancouver shows no interest in him.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What about others? Ok never mind forgot Vancouver has done a great job selling assets according to you. Carry on. Don't call people trolls when you can't even understand what they are alluding to.

You come off as taking cheap shots at Vancouver in this thread.

And sure - what about others? List some players the Canucks sold off when their value was low. Benning is an idiot in my books, but it's not because he sells assets at their lowest value. Hansen, Burrows, Bieksa, Garrison, Kesler, etc. were all dealt when they still had value.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
OP said "Edler is still a top pairing Dman" :laugh: :biglaugh::snide:

He might get top pairing minutes but he certainly doesn't play like one. On a contender you'd want Edler to be your #4-#5.

Last edited:

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
1st + B defense prospect (preferably). Edler can come back and re-sign here in the offseason. Win-win. He would be a great #3/4 to contender. He's been doing well as a quasi #1 on an atrocious vancouver D, could he him thriving in a slightly reduced role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad