Rumor: Pens and Others interested in Alex Edler

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Trade Rumors: Alex Edler a player to keep an eye on

Summary:

Dave Pagnotta of 4th Period reports that hes been told there is plenty of interest in Alex Edler.

Which teams would be interested and what would your team give up for him.

Edler is still a top pairing Dman. QBs the PP and matches up with the other teams best player on a nightly basis.

Theres been reports before that he has refused to waive his NTC as he loves living in Vancouver.

For the sake of this thread lets just say he is willing to waive to go to your team.

Expiring contract which has him at 5 mil cap hit this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhoTagz

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Edler has just been phenomenal for us in recent years. My first choice would be to re-sign him for 3 years at a rate of around 6mil per season. I see him as a perfect candidate to have around to help stabilize a rebuilding team, and I could still see him being a viable top 4 defenseman in his mid to late 30s.

If we end up trading him I'd think we'd at least want a 1st round pick and a good prospect. I'd prefer a young defenseman that has already been drafted with top pairing upside over the pick, but it would depend on the candidate.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
I really doubt this considering sullivan and edlers apparently have a bad history together.

Reactions: KIRK

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I have a feeling Edler WILL waive at the deadline, only to resign in Vancouver in the offseason.

Talks start with a 1st round pick.
This would be ideal, but not sure hed wave.

Id love to get a 1st plus D prospect, or high end D prospect and mid-late round pick. But who could trade that??

I think if Edler goes to a team where he is used on the 2nd pairing that team will be laughing at the steal of a deal they got from Vancity. Hes asked to do too much here because beyond him and Tanev theres not a lot to choose from. Last year was IMO his best season and in the handful a games so far this year he looks better. Buy low sell high could be a rare thing for us but could be happening here...

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
A 1st would be a reasonable starting point. A defensive prospect is what I'd target though as the main piece.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Edler has just been phenomenal for us in recent years. My first choice would be to re-sign him for 3 years at a rate of around 6mil per season. I see him as a perfect candidate to have around to help stabilize a rebuilding team, and I could still see him being a viable top 4 defenseman in his mid to late 30s.

If we end up trading him I'd think we'd at least want a 1st round pick and a good prospect. I'd prefer a young defenseman that has already been drafted with top pairing upside over the pick, but it would depend on the candidate.

Roll a deception check

Reactions: Siludin

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
His last 2 years he has been playing great hockey, last year was arguably the best year of his career so far.

A first round pick and a good prospect or a young defenceman with top pairing upside (Dobson/Bouchard type? Makar?) seem like steep asks considering what McDonagh got last year. Edler is better than we give him credit for but that's pretty steep to me. Might be better off just re signing him, although dealing him for futures would be a smart play.

Reactions: Riptide

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
A first round pick and a good prospect or a young defenceman with top pairing upside (Dobson/Bouchard type? Makar?) seem like steep asks considering what McDonagh got last year. Edler is better than we give him credit for but that's pretty steep to me. Might be better off just re signing him, although dealing him for futures would be a smart play.
TDL market size could land that though. Looking at the UFA class for defencemen this summer, majority of the decent one's are on teams that are likely to be in the playoffs and won't move. If Edler is the top guy available he could definitely garner a ridiculous price based on limited supply.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
TDL market size could land that though. Looking at the UFA class for defencemen this summer, majority of the decent one's are on teams that are likely to be in the playoffs and won't move. If Edler is the top guy available he could definitely garner a ridiculous price based on limited supply.

I disagree but we shall see.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not even for a potential cup run with PIT?
It’s so hard to say with him. Doesn’t strike most of us in Vancouver as a guy who covets winning a cup before all else like a Kesler.

He has a young family. Daughter should at most be in pre school. Does he want to be separated from them or can he convince the family to all go to wherever for 3 months?

Also depends what the Canucks expect to do with him contract wise. Aside from Tanev there’s no one else whom fans here would trust to pair with their youngsters next season in Hughes and Juolevi. Need a vet for each kid. So, by default they kind of need Edler. See if he wants to move.

But he holds a full ntc so up to him if he wants to move at the tdl. Could honestly go either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad