Salary Cap: Pens Add Streit & Corrado; Subtract Fehr & 4th Rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
We get not only OLDER, we get SLOWER!!!! WOOOOOOO WHAT CAN GO WRONG... I wish we didnt do anything more than Heinsey. UGH

How did we get slower? Streit is a better skater at 39 than Fehr ever was.

Yes, we got older...but we're talking about rentals that came at a discounted price while the trade market was absurd.

edit: To clear some potential confusion - I'm not calling Streit fast, but Fehr has never been a speedster by any stretch of the definition. We got older, but I don't think we got slower.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Empoleon8771, I'm not mad about the deals. For me it's like whatever. It was my response to people who think that picks are overrated.
In my opinion JR often overpays/slightly overpays in his deals. But it's just my opinion, I'm not saying everyone should think so.

I don't disagree that JR at time can overpay, but neither of these 2 deals are overpayment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Empoleon8771, I'm not mad about the deals. For me it's like whatever. It was my response to people who think that picks are overrated.
In my opinion JR often overpays/slightly overpays in his deals. But it's just my opinion, I'm not saying everyone should think so.

I genuinely have no idea how you can argue that Rutherford overpaid today. 4th round picks end up being nothing a lot more often than they end up being something.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Corrado?

junior-justicedept.gif

:laugh: now we know why JR got him.

Well here's to the next dream.. That flower waives his NTC so we don't have to protect him or buy him out. Yea.......

And then Vegas doesn't take him. Who knows, maybe we use our 1st to get them to take Fleury and keep everything else.

Maybe Sunny will get a look at some point.

Maybe, but they don't have an answer to the hole at 3C. Counting on Cullen to handle those minutes ends badly and he's the closest they have.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I assume Corrado will join WB/S and he'll be insurance for the expansion draft should we lose a d-man (or we let our UFAs walk).

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
An old broken MS, his skating was an issue 5-6 years ago when he was still at least a PP +, now... well. A bucket of yuck.

He had the most PP points in the league on D 2 years ago at 37.

Did you think Fehr was a speedster that was a big part of our speed because he's the only guy we lost...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
An old broken MS, his skating was an issue 5-6 years ago when he was still at least a PP +, now... well. A bucket of yuck.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. We are currently missing 3 of our top 6 dmen and two of them have offensive skillsets. We just acquired a guy for peanuts that can contribute offensively until Letang is back. I have no idea what there is to complain about.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
My plan would be to take Horny off the first unit and have Streit and Schultz up top.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Who made us slower?

Hainsey and Streit

Streit can't skate for crap anymore. Not only was he not a strong skater but he's friggin 39yo. He makes Maatta look like Letang.

For a team built a skating and speed, this is actually quite the head scratcher. The addition of Hainsey and Streit signal to me that the playoff pairings are:

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Schultz

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe, but they don't have an answer to the hole at 3C. Counting on Cullen to handle those minutes ends badly and he's the closest they have.

I agree, but there wasn't anything they could do about it other than overpay for Hanzal.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So let's recap. Here's what the Penguins did:

-Got rid of a cap problem they had in Fehr
-Got rid of a bad player problem they had in Olesky
-Brought in a 23 year old D prospect that fits the system for basically a 4th
-Brought in a 39 year old PPQB for a 4th next year
-Brought in a steady 35 year old defensive D for a 2nd this year

So why are people complaining about this deadline? They cut some of the dead weight on their roster and fixed their D depth for basically nothing outside of the 2nd round pick.

I like that we cleared cap space for next season. 2M less on the cap for us, that 2M will go towards Maf's buyout. Now to let all the UFA's walk or retire in Cullens case. If we CAN trade Fleury at 2M retaining? i'm all for it, takes Fehrs cap space still and it's better if a team does not give us a bad contract instead.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hainsey and Streit

Streit can't skate for crap anymore. Not only was he not a strong skater but he's friggin 39yo. He makes Maatta look like Letang.

For a team built a skating and speed, this is actually quite the head scratcher. The addition of Hainsey and Streit signal to me that the playoff pairings are:

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Schultz

Yes Hainsey and Streit are injury replacements. When healthy, I only see 1 of them as potential regulars in the playoffs. We currently have 3 injured top 4 dmen. We needed depth and we got it. So what's the problem?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And Streit's speed has nothing to do with how he likely will be used. Mostly PPQB. Some role as depth, but mostly they will use him very sparingly.

The cost was nothing. I have a better chance of getting Ebola than a fourth round pick getting more than 100 games. I exaggerate but not by much.

ObsessedCreative*

Hainsey and Streit

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Schultz

Stop telling the truth a lot of people on here don't like it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Was Fehr's cap space needed to add Streit even with the retention and Daley on LTIR?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
could sit Letang till playoffs and run a Streit-Schultz PP. that prob wins them enough games to remain 2nd/3rd in the metro, maybe fall to 4th.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I don't disagree that JR at time can overpay, but neither of these 2 deals are overpayment.

I think it's more of my general frustration with JR. My instant reaction reaction was that it's bit of overpayment for Corrado, a guy who could have been acquired thru waivers. But I'm not mad at these deals.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
And then Vegas doesn't take him. Who knows, maybe we use our 1st to get them to take Fleury and keep everything else.

Don't even care if they don't take him. I would let his ass ride the pine for one last year and send him to Wilks. I care that the team does t have to waste 4 years of dead cap space buying him out.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Would have felt better having a legitimate chance at stopping Washington on their way to a cup.

they have to actually play the games and win them for that to happen.
quite a lot can happen.

If, by some miracle, we start to gel and play a speed game consistently once more we still will give the Caps fits. By no means do they want to face us in the playoffs, we are their boogeyman.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I hope we sit Letang for a while. If he has a nagging injury, let it rest. You can't trust Letang to know when he's good to go or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad