Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Daniel Winnik for Sill, 2016 2nd, 2015 4th (Leafs retain $650k salary)

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Toronto is boning everyone this trade deadline. First the Pens and now CBJ

Penguinzilla*

I don't know how you can look at all the moves that JR has made and have an issue with him as a GM. He's done a great job revamping the team and bringing in elements that we need.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that our lineup in Game 7 last year was

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Stempniak
Vitale-Goc-Adams

Holy potty words, that is really bad

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
After considering things, here's my view.

+ Winnik is exactly the type of player we need. JR has been spot on in identifying needs so far.
+ Retained salary
+ Pens have a good chance of extending him
- Pens lose 2 picks when the team is already low on them, and needs to restock the system. (or needs assets for longterm solutions)
- Unless we re-sign him or go on a deep run, it is an overpayment. I don't believe this team is in a position where it should rent any players.

Overall, a good but risky deal.

That's the key. Same for Lapierre. Those are two guys that can be part of a cup winning bottom 6, but they're not worth as much just for this year because we don't look like a contender.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I don't know how you can look at all the moves that JR has made and have an issue with him as a GM. He's done a great job revamping the team and bringing in elements that we need.

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Stempniak
Vitale-Goc-Adams

So that's 167 GP 28 points this year from those players. Glass & Stempniak are healthy scratches a lot of the time, Gibbons is in the AHL currently, & Vitale is still Vitale.

Yeah Shero, that will get you fired.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So that's 167 GP 28 points this year from those players. Glass & Stempniak are healthy scratches a lot of the time, Gibbons is in the AHL currently, & Vitale is still Vitale.

Not fair to lump Stempniak in with those others. He's still a good complementary player. Good possession guy.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Goc is also gone, has 1 assist in 14 games with Blues.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Stempniak
Vitale-Goc-Adams

Out of those forwards, only Kunitz, Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Adams remains on our roster.:laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Winnik doesn't re-sign I'll dislike this deal. If Winnik performs well and re-signs, it's a good deal.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Stempniak
Vitale-Goc-Adams

So only Crosby, Malkin, Sutter and Adams remain. By next season around this time, I fully expect only Malkin and Crosby to be left from that roster.

That would be a total purge and exactly what we wanted from JR.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I actually had to click away from that post because it was so embarrassing to look at. I quickly scrolled down so I didn't have to see it. If anyone wants to criticize JR... just post that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ol' Craigers ain't too worried...

Adams said he isn't threatened by Winnik's presence.

“I don't think it has people's attention or anything,†he said. “I think it's a good move for our team. I don't know him that well as a player because he's been out west most of his career. But he's had a good year in a tough situation in Toronto. He's versatile. He's big. That's not a bad thing to add to your lineup.â€

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7826754-74/penguins-winnik-adams#ixzz3SumSXh00

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So only Crosby, Malkin, Sutter and Adams remain. By next season around this time, I fully expect only Malkin and Crosby to be left from that roster.

That would be a total purge and exactly what we wanted from JR.

Do you know something I don't about Kunitz or have you successfully burned him from your memory? :laugh:

Eh. I wouldn't expect him to say he was threatened. That's a loaded question. Typical Trib reporting.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Stempniak
Vitale-Goc-Adams

Here's my problem, he talked a big game about how we needed to develop our own talent and stop throwing draft picks at rentals and then within a year he basically has traded most of the draft away. Our biggest problems was scoring diversity and he goes and trades away our best scorer who isnt Crosby/Malkin. The other thing, instead of getting the 1st round pick along with Hornqvist in return he gets a bottom 6 player and then proceeds to overpay him in arbitration thus negating any sort of cap savings that the Neal deal had.

We still have the same old tired faces on the roster contributing less to nothing and instead of shipping them out and thus adding by subtracting we're keeping them on to take away from the future.

He was a crappy GM in Carolina and there's nothing I am seeing out of him here that is impressing me whatsoever. He didnt sign anyone worthwhile, he didnt get rid of the dead weight and he's repeating the same damn mistakes that Shero did in trading the draft away for temp fixes.

I don't know about you guys but I am a penguins fan 5 years from now as well as right now and I don't want a ****** team because of some senile retread got the keys to our team and ran it into the ground.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Do you know something I don't about Kunitz or have you successfully burned him from your memory? :laugh:

I'm expecting JR to use his analytics magic box to tell him Kunitz will keep nosediving, and that trading him while he still has value is a swell idea.

Then send Crosby away to Yellowknive for a month to coach underpriveledge youths while the trade goes down.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Real moderator-ey of you ColePens. Always nice to see you above the insults...

Is it also embarrassing when you think about all the times you defended Ray Shero when I used to criticize him?

Because he was saying how awful our roster was last season?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Stempniak
Vitale-Goc-Adams

... yeah, so this happened... JR would have really had to try to ice something worse.

TBF, to Shero, Coach Einsteinma decided to go down with the Glass ship; this is also an insult to Shero because he tied himself to that. The demented duo.

With stats like these, why would he be?

Adams is limited offensively, having scored 18 goals in 438 regular-season games with the Penguins.

:laugh: And, no, he has nothing to make up for that aside from no one being upset if he gets hurt blocking a shot.

Adams wouldn't say he's worried but you've got to wonder if he even is or he knows he's safe because he's god (?).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If you take umbrage with the fact that JR isn't stockpiling picks in preparation to fill the cupboard and get an influx of high end prospects in here, that's fine. I can agree with that and I have no qualms with that argument. But to say he hasn't cut any deadweight, and that he's done nothing worthwhile is just ****ing crazy talk. :laugh:

He's gotten Sid two very, very good wingers, and ones that are even better when they play together. A sum is greater than it's parts situation (and it's parts are very good). He's found a gem in Comeau (who makes the same as Adams, by the way--let's all think about that for a second). He signed Ehrhoff, a low-risk deal that I genuinely think was partially made to make Martin expendable (before all the injuries on defense). He let all of the completely useless garbage walk from last season. He's still got work to do in finding a permanent winger for Geno, as well as cutting the rest of the deadweight in Sutter, Kunitz and Scuderi, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's made very, very smart moves that have made this team infinitely better immediately and moving forward.

If you can't see or accept that, I dunno what to tell ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad