Post-Game Talk: Pens 6, Oilers 5 - Connor May Be McJesus, But Sid is a Hockey God

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
No, it is definitely his fault. Sheahan and Cullen looked relieved when he was off their line and had great games the past two nights.
Sheahan and Cullen looked comfortable with Hornqvist. I wouldn't say relieved. That's probably because he actually plays a similar straight line game that fits with their style.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Literally stood in a triangle of Edmonton players on the PP in the slot. Almost like Oshie does on the Caps, but completely covering himself.
He did this on a shift with Cullen and Sheahan as well. I want to see him get more than 3:37 of ice time but he has to move his feet. Obviously he can't go into the corner with those two, but he has to do something other than stand around and watch.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Conor Sheary started with Cullen.

Sheahan’s best seasons came with Nyquist and Tatar.

Stop making excuses.
Who was the other linemate.

Look I'm not excusing Sprong, but I'm also not going to be blind to the other circumstances too. He has to play better, but he also is not being trusted or put in a spot where he can succeed either.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Who was the other linemate.

Look I'm not excusing Sprong, but I'm also not going to be blind to the other circumstances too. He has to play better, but he also is not being trusted or put in a spot where he can succeed either.

Eric Fehr / Kuhnhackl.

This perception that Sheahan and Cullen are some type of grinder is just outrageous. They’ve had plenty of shots. Sprong has just sucked.

Will Sprong always suck? Maybe not. But, he has to force the team’s hand or hope an injury occurs. That being said I don’t see them playing him next game. Who knows? Maybe since we continue to win him and Simon get a chance.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Eric Fehr / Kuhnhackl.

This perception that Sheahan and Cullen are some type of grinder is just outrageous. They’ve had plenty of shots. Sprong has just sucked.
They aren't getting him the puck. They are going in straight lines to the net, and are ignoring him. Can you tell me on time Sheahan or Cullen got Sprong the puck in the offensive zone? Outside from cycling it along the wall.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Uh.. he was on the ice for the tying goal with Crosby at center, but you must’ve missed that while writing Sprong’s name in cursive on top of your notebook over and over again.

I missed nothing. He played a handful of shifts the rest of the game. That he ended up with Crosby for one of them doesn't change anything.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
You obviously missed him giving up the tying goal and our 2 goal cushion by playing lazily along the boards.
After he p***yfooted into Chiasson there, and he scored that goal, I knew he wasn't going to see the ice for pretty much the entire rest of the game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
After he p***yfooted into Chiasson there, and he scored that goal, I knew he wasn't going to see the ice for pretty much the entire rest of the game.

I was actually referencing the Montreal game.

I think if Sprong had scored a goal or had more individual efforts like that Simon goal he set up we’d see a little different treatment.

I mean look at what Simon did last night and he got buried.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Regardless of how bad Sprong and Simon looked in their 3-4 minutes of ice time, the team has to do something soon with them because it's affecting Sully's ability to roll four lines and the ice time of other players...imo Cullen is playing way to much to start the season, as is Sid...this kind of thing will end in the same PO result we got last year...options

1) Play Simon and Sprong 10 min a night and be damned, let them play through their mistakes, accept the consequences will rarely be that they singlehandedly lose games...I mean, come on, JJ nearly lost last night's game, so Sully doesn't apparently have a problem with that

2) don't play either or one of them and play other players you trust...Grant or my preference--play Olek as a LW and move Ruh into his spot...will get his good offense while playing a D man who's better on defense right now

That's it...the current situation is untenable and neither of them should be placed on waivers...it's too early for a trade and they would have to be packaged with another player anyway if we were making a trade since neither of thenm hold much value

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If Sprong was with like Rowney and Reaves, I’d understand your point. Cullen and Sheahan are not unskilled grinders and have worked with multiple skill players throughout the last couple years.
I thought that combo would be good for him as well, but there's 2 factors for me that are preventing it from working. Sheahan and Cullen aren't getting him the puck at all, and Sprong is getting next to no ice time. It's pretty hard to get into the flow of the game when you are a skilled player used to playing high minutes, and you see the ice he's seeing now. Plus he's a guy that needs to use his shot if he's going to be effective in this league. If you never see the puck in the offensive zone, you are usually going to look like shit.

I will put half the blame on Sprong on that account. He needs to get to open spots on the ice more to give his linemates a chance to get him the puck.

edit: I said he's not a guy above, when I mean't he IS a guy.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Eric Fehr / Kuhnhackl.

Will Sprong always suck? Maybe not. But, he has to force the team’s hand or hope an injury occurs. That being said I don’t see them playing him next game. Who knows? Maybe since we continue to win him and Simon get a chance.

Maybe the reason Sprong has sucked (your observation) is that he is being asked to be a player he's not. AND HE HAS.

My perception is JR wanted to force Sully's hand and make him get Sprong into the lineup by dumping Kuhn and Rowney this offseason. But in typical narcissistic coaching fashion, Sully is setting up Sprong for complete failure on the 4th line. I seen coaches do this same move a 1000 times before and JR really has few options. Most likely JR will end up dumping Sprong soon for undervalue and JR will win this small battle. The Pens organization will be the loser.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I was actually referencing the Montreal game.

I think if Sprong had scored a goal or had more individual efforts like that Simon goal he set up we’d see a little different treatment.

I mean look at what Simon did last night and he got buried.
Sprong HAS to have more snarl in his game. No doubt about it. He can't be getting knocked around like he's getting knocked around right now. Smaller guys are doing a lot better than him in that regard. I guarantee if he was more physical Sullivan would feel better about giving him more minutes.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Hate to be a negative nancy and all, but does anyone just feel like this whole Sprong thing will not work out? I've thought that from the very start. And there's still hope. Just thinking it won't happen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Regardless of how bad Sprong and Simon looked in their 3-4 minutes of ice time, the team has to do something soon with them because it's affecting Sully's ability to roll four lines and the ice time of other players...imo Cullen is playing way to much to start the season, as is Sid...this kind of thing will end in the same PO result we got last year...options

1) Play Simon and Sprong 10 min a night and be damned, let them play through their mistakes, accept the consequences will rarely be that they singlehandedly lose games...I mean, come on, JJ nearly lost last night's game, so Sully doesn't apparently have a problem with that

2) don't play either or one of them and play other players you trust...Grant or my preference--play Olek as a LW and move Ruh into his spot...will get his good offense while playing a D man who's better on defense right now

That's it...the current situation is untenable and neither of them should be placed on waivers...it's too early for a trade and they would have to be packaged with another player anyway if we were making a trade since neither of thenm hold much value

Sprong and Simon have contributed to tying goals three times in the last theee games. They are actively having an effect on us winning games.

It is not a race. Simon and Sprong’s future NHL careers will not be reflective of this 7 game stretch. And at this point they have such little trade value it is pointless to move them.

Also everyone besides Letang is seeing a drop in ice time from last year I believe..

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Cullen's averaging 12 minutes. That's not way too much. Sid's at 20 and thats fine too.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sprong and Simon have contributed to tying goals three times in the last theee games. They are actively having an effect on us winning games.

As have, at varying times as well, the Geno-Phil combo, JJ, Maatta, Rust, Brass, Cullen and Sheahan, Sid, Riikola, and who am I missing? They've made mistakes at or below the blue line that directly led to goals by opposing teams in the first seven games...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
As have, at varying times as well, the Geno-Phil combo, JJ, Maatta, Rust, Brass, Cullen and Sheahan, Sid, Riikola, and who am I missing? They've made mistakes at or below the blue line that directly led to goals by opposing teams in the first seven games...

Geno and Phil are our best offensive threats right now.

JJ and Maatta / Cullen and Sheahan are our defensive pairings. They will always get a pass for GA given how they are used.

Sid is Sid.

Brassard and Rust deserve as much criticism as Sprong, but honestly Brassard is waaaaay more important to this team to get going and while Rust has been terrible offensively, he plays a complete game. Him and Hagelin are going to be used over Sprong always.

Reactions: KIRK and Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Cullen's averaging 12 minutes. That's not way too much. Sid's at 20 and thats fine too.

You really don't like to look for trends...an average doesn't tell you anything...the last two games Cullen is playing about 15 minutes...way too much...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sprong HAS to have more snarl in his game. No doubt about it. He can't be getting knocked around like he's getting knocked around right now. Smaller guys are doing a lot better than him in that regard. I guarantee if he was more physical Sullivan would feel better about giving him more minutes.

Its not even about being more physical he can't be just a "sniper" on this team (which he isn't showing much there anyway) or pretty much any team in the NHL. It won't work out very well for him. He needs more strings to his bow.

Just play better and earn more minutes/trust. It takes time but if you are playing bad, you are playing bad and he has no real NHL success to fall back on. If he was on a weaker team he'd get more rope but he's here for now anyway. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad