Post-Game Talk: Pens 6 - Oil 5

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Shame that all those great efforts were undone by .800 goaltending.

Talbot down to .895 on the season. Trying not to push the panic button here but all any one of us wanted from Koskinen was .910 goaltending. If we can’t get that from our starter we’re in major trouble.

If you want to be an optimist though, you could also say that the bad goaltending has been undone by great team performances. The whole glass half-full thing. ;)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Brodziak and Kassian were on for 4 goals each. That's pretty bad.

Okay, fine, MOST of them did well tonight - Strome (despite displaying how unsuited for OT he was), Reider, Russell, Larsson all had pretty respectable games.

Hell, I even have to give credit to Lucic. He was actually completing passes tonight, even had a great interception in the third and deked a few people. Managed to actually enter the zone on his own more than once.

Reactions: Burnoutboi

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sure it is, but its coaching bad, personified. We're on home ice and look who are 4th line was out against for a lot of shifts. Lets just say the QOC quotient was way stronger than what the Oil had on the ice.
They had like... what, one shift in the third and they got scored on?

Bottom 6 is still a huge point of concern. At least Chaisson was good.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure it is, but its coaching bad, personified. We're on home ice and look who are 4th line was out against for a lot of shifts. Lets just say the QOC quotient was way stronger than what the Oil had on the ice.
I don't know why he was trying to use Brodziak as a shut down guy. Especially against that QOC. Should of just used Stromes line for that and thrown Brodziak out against 4th and 3rd line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Okay, fine, MOST of them did well tonight - Strome (despite displaying how unsuited for OT he was), Reider, Russell, Larsson all had pretty respectable games.

Hell, I even have to give credit to Lucic. He was actually completing passes tonight, even had a great interception in the third and deked a few people. Managed to actually enter the zone on his own more than once.
I don't get that Strome hate in OT. He had literally almost just ended the game by driving the net. It was the end of his shift, and a fresh Crosby comes on. Strome got deked out in OT by the previous best player in the world. Doesn't make him unsuited for OT. McDavids done it to much better players in OT who are very well suited.

Reactions: Cypress

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pittsburgh played like crap tonight and we still lose 6-5.

This team is garbage.
I wouldn't say the Pens played like crap. Part of the reason for the shot discrepancy was the Oilers blocked a TON of shots.

I agree with your overall point though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pittsburgh played like crap tonight and we still lose 6-5.

This team is garbage.

Well, lol, I mean at least it was entertaining. I'd rather watch 10 of those games before watching another Nashville game.

Pittsburgh has a lot of elite talent, against teams like that our D is probably gonna get a bit exposed. I thought Klefbom was good tonight.

Reactions: Aerrol

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Mcllelen needs to start doing proper starter/backup rotation. Seriously, so dumb.
Based on past interviews it seems like McLellan defers to Dustin Schwartz on who should be starting. Then while I don't know if it is the case, but Schwartz seems to give Talbot a lot of say in which games he wants to play and Talbot tends to want to play as many as he can.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't get that Strome hate in OT. He had literally almost just ended the game by driving the net. It was the end of his shift, and a fresh Crosby comes on. Strome got deked out in OT by the previous best player in the world. Doesn't make him unsuited for OT. McDavids done it to much better players in OT who are very well suited.

He also decided that the play to make right before losing the game for us was to skate the puck out of the offensive zone without any pressure because... He forgot where the blue line was? Edit: AS WE HAD TWO PLAYERS RE DRIVING THE NET FOR HIM. And generally wasn't able to keep up at all or make a clean pass.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Based on past interviews it seems like McLellan defers to Dustin Schwartz on who should be starting. Then while I don't know if it is the case, but Schwartz seems to give Talbot a lot of say in which games he wants to play and Talbot tends to want to play as many as he can.

I'm pretty sure Todd is asking Cam's twins who should start via hand signals and Froot Roll Up treats.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well, lol, I mean at least it was entertaining. I'd rather watch 10 of those games before watching another Nashville game.

Pittsburgh has a lot of elite talent, against teams like that our D is probably gonna get a bit exposed. I thought Klefbom was good tonight.
I only want to watch wins. Tired of watching this sad sack shit team lose hockey games.

"Elite talent" my ass. Jamie Oleksiak is not an elite player. Still managed to walk in completely unmolested for a one timer dead center the ice from the hash marks to blast home the game tying goal.

Reactions: FanOfSadTeam

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, c'mon @nabob surely you have SOMETHING good to say about him today.

Read the GDT. Was praising him a lot. If he can play like he did during the 2nd and 3rd periods more often then all you’ll hear is me praising him. Not even talking about the points or scoring goals. He was playing hard on the puck in both zones and skating like he cared a ton. He was probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the ice out of everyone on both teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I only want to watch wins. Tired of watching this sad sack **** team lose hockey games.

"Elite talent" my ass. Jamie Oleksiak is not an elite player. Still managed to walk in completely unmolested for a one timer dead center the ice from the hash marks to blast home the game tying goal.

Well I'd rather watch exciting hockey than boring hockey. That's just me though, everyone "praising" that 0-3 Nashville game where they had like 4 chances the entire night ... zzzzzzzzz ... I'd rather watch this type of game. Unfortunately it doesn't happen much for us.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He also decided that the play to make right before losing the game for us was to skate the puck out of the offensive zone without any pressure because... He forgot where the blue line was? Edit: AS WE HAD TWO PLAYERS RE DRIVING THE NET FOR HIM. And generally wasn't able to keep up at all or make a clean pass.
I watched McDavid do pretty much the same thing on OT. Resetting like that is extremely common in OT and literally happens all the time.

Reactions: TB12

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Schwartz was a high school teacher before being gifted his NHL job.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Schwartz may have also wanted to use the spread out schedule to give Koskinen a few extra weeks of practice to get used to the angles of NA ice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't know why he was trying to use Brodziak as a shut down guy. Especially against that QOC. Should of just used Stromes line for that and thrown Brodziak out against 4th and 3rd line.

you mean Strome who was turned into a pylon on the Crosby goal. That strome?

lol at the telecast commentary as well. "Oh, but the Oilers line was tired" Strome had just come on the ice as Nuge came off. Oddly the Oilers even had two D on the ice and you'd never know it.

But great goal by Crosby and another indication of how he's been the best player in the world the last decade.

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
fire Chiarelli tonight
And MacLelland
Plus flush Nurse and Puhljarvi tonight, they are garbage
and just give an unconditional release to Talbot, pure scum

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well I'd rather watch exciting hockey than boring hockey. That's just me though, everyone "praising" that 0-3 Nashville game where they had like 4 chances the entire night ... zzzzzzzzz ... I'd rather watch this type of game. Unfortunately it doesn't happen much for us.

Both losses are embarrassing. Just in different ways.

This team is bad. And I'm mad about it lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad