Post-Game Talk: Pens 6 - Oil 5

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's always curious to me that Nurse's partners always get blamed for his poor reads. It couldnt possibly be that he put himself out of position leading to his partner scrambling to make up for it? :sarcasm:

In saying that Benning hasnt been great, but you might want to watch that Hornqvist goal again. Nurse makes a terrible read on the play and leaves a lane wide open to the front of the net. If he had just stayed where he was that goal doesnt happen. Nurse actively left a high danger scoring area chasing the puck to an area where no one literally ever scores from. He did this knowing that 3 of his teammates where in a scrum along the far side boards, and one winger was protecting the high slot. Needs to be better on that play.

Also worth mentioning Larsson's big hit in the 1st. I'd like to see Nurse bring more of that type of nasty game. As much as people like the fighting, it's dying out in hockey.

Consider Nurses Partners for the majority of his career so far.

Justin Schultz and Matt Benning.

Both players are hot garbage in their own zone.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Who knows? When someone has such an irrational hate for another person it’s usually something deeply ingrained into their moral code.

BAHAHA attacking my Moral Code after I said Thomas Sowell and I were like brothers!! Priceless! You should look up who Thomas Sowell is and what he stands for.

Reactions: Mr Tadakichi

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You’re trying to blame the OT winner on him. Hahahaha you’re a joke man.

Watch the play, Nurse has an opportunity to pick Crosby up as he's coming out of the corner and instead retreats towards the blue line. Leaves Strome 1 on 1 against the best player in the world. As a big strong dman, Nurse needs to take Crosby there. Crosby is strongest player in the world below the circles. I don't even think it's an argument.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
BAHAHA attacking my Moral Code after I said Thomas Sowell and I were like brothers!! Priceless! You should look up who Thomas Sowell is and what he stands for.

Yeah it’s cool to claim anything you want on the internet. I only questioned why a person would have such a hate for a specific player. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that he’s of a different ethnicity.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Watch the play, Nurse has an opportunity to pick Crosby up as he's coming out of the corner and instead retreats towards the blue line. Leaves Strome 1 on 1 against the best player in the world. As a big strong dman, Nurse needs to take Crosby there. Crosby is strongest player in the world below the circles. I don't even think it's an argument.
So you double team someone in OT. No you don’t. You take your man.

Then Crosby passes the puck to the man Nurse left open and that guy scores. Either way you get to blame Nurse. Just like you did for the Kassian pass to Simon on the 3rd goal.

The best player in the world is McDavid BTW. It’s not even a question.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

To be fair both Strome and Nurse were at approx the 1 min mark of their shift. Crosby was fresh and Nurse and Strome were fatigued. They got caught at the end of their shift and thats when mistakes are more likely to happen.

So no...I dont think that the mistakes on that goal were indicative of the player (Strome or Nurse). It was more a product of fatigue IMO.

S*** happens.

Oct 15, 2008
Lies, Thomas Sowell is my brother from another mother. My whole problem with Nurse if you really want to call it a problem. Is that he still has very bad reads and positioning. The good part is he still has a lot of upside. Which means he could be valuable to someone in trade.

Also for the record, I was ready to throw away Klefbom earlier this season when he was playing like trash. Id also move Benning but feel you'd be lucky to get anything for him.

Sorry but you go out of your way and bend all credulity to try and paint Nurse in a bad light. That is irrational. I can’t find a rational way to explain why you do this, and your explanation doesn’t hold water. I can’t say why it is that you do this?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Sorry but you go out of your way and bend all credulity to try and paint Nurse in a bad light. That is irrational. I can’t find a rational way to explain why you do this, and your explanation doesn’t hold water. I can’t say why it is that you do this?

Watch the replays. Nurse makes bad reads all over the ice in the defensive zone. That's why Im hard on him. He looks Schultz level bad at times. Hornqvist goal he leaves a lane wide open for Hornqvist to walk in. Oleksiak's first goal he fails to pick up Oleksiak and leaves Russell hanging out to dry with a 2 on 1 down low. OT Winner I don't fault him for as much, but was commenting on what Struds said on Oiler's Now which I completely agree with. In that situation Nurse has to take over knowing its Crosby on the ice. The worst case scenario if Nurse picks up Crosby and Strome takes the man up high is that the Penguins get a point shot .

Don't see how Im being unfair to the player. When he plays good I comment on it as well. He still has a bit of upside but he really needs to improve his consistency and reads.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
After the game against the Bruins, it's great to see the Oilers stay toe to toe with another top-notch team. They can play as a tenacious rushing team and run up the score a bit. Hopefully they have turned a bit of a corner in regards to having secondary scoring help, like they did on this occasion from Chaisson and Draisaitl. The Oilers could really use better goaltending from Talbot, though.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Watch the replays. Nurse makes bad reads all over the ice in the defensive zone. That's why Im hard on him. He looks Schultz level bad at times. Hornqvist goal he leaves a lane wide open for Hornqvist to walk in. Oleksiak's first goal he fails to pick up Oleksiak and leaves Russell hanging out to dry with a 2 on 1 down low. OT Winner I don't fault him for as much, but was commenting on what Struds said on Oiler's Now which I completely agree with. In that situation Nurse has to take over knowing its Crosby on the ice. The worst case scenario if Nurse picks up Crosby and Strome takes the man up high is that the Penguins get a point shot .

Don't see how Im being unfair to the player. When he plays good I comment on it as well. He still has a bit of upside but he really needs to improve his consistency and reads.

IMO you are being clearly unfair to the player because you refuse to acknowledge that he was overextended on his shift.
That is a clear example of bias/agenda on your part.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
IMO you are being clearly unfair to the player because you refuse to acknowledge that he was overextended on his shift.
That is a clear example of bias/agenda on your part.

Not really. As I said you can listen to Struds comments on it. For me personally I think he's more at fault for the other two goals, then the OT one. But I still place the blame on him there. If you pay attention to who's on the ice when the Oilers get running around their zone it's usually the Nurse-Benning/Russell pairing. I don't think thats a coincidence given Nurse's bad reads.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not really. As I said you can listen to Struds comments on it. For me personally I think he's more at fault for the other two goals, then the OT one. But I still place the blame on him there. If you pay attention to who's on the ice when the Oilers get running around their zone it's usually the Nurse-Benning/Russell pairing. I don't think thats a coincidence given Nurse's bad reads.

If anyone is going to disregard the fact that Nurse was well beyond his shift change on the O/T goal then they have blinders on.
That fact is critical to what happened on that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad