Post-Game Talk: Pens 6 - Oil 5

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Talbot is a huge issue, but so is our defence overall.

Love the secondary scoring tonight but that isn't going to win us games. Look how good Nashville is. The modern NHL is all about defence. Quick recovery and outlet passes are everything and we have one defenceman (who is 6 games into his NHL career) who is capable of making one.

We will never be a serious contender without a true #1. Not even close IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not even mad. First entertaining game of the season for all 3 periods and OT.

You can't give Pittsburgh an inch even when you outplay them for most of the game.

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom were good, Chiasson probably played the game of his life.

Nurse Russell pairing got a bit exposed.

I think Talbot was at fault for 2 goals, but the rest ... especially that OT goal, that's just a great player doing a great thing with a forward as the primary defender in 3 on 3. It happens.

Reactions: Cypress and Aerrol

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Talbot needs to be better but I still think this team has special team problems. Our PK looked not good and our PP seemed toothless. The problem is I think our coach thinks thats good. Yes we got two goals we still can't really create. I think it overlooks the effort tonight. From the second period on we were the better team. A couple individual plays let us down.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Wow.... what's worse, Strome getting jockstrapped during 3 on 3 ot ? Talbot just in absolute sieve mode or McLellan for even putting Strome out during OT against the likes of Crosby, Kessel,Malkin, Letang. Never learn Oilers.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I requested Koskinen like 3 games ago.

Talbot redeemed himself in one game but come on.......he has zero luck and bleeds momentum

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wow.... what's worse, Strome getting jockstrapped during 3 on 3 ot ? Talbot just in absolute sieve mode or McLellan for even putting Strome out during OT against the likes of Crosby, Kessel,Malkin, Letang. Never learn Oilers.
Strome wasn't put out against Crosby. Strome was put out with Nuge against Kessel and Pittsburg did a good job getting a fresh Crosby on ice.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
That last good looked amazing but it was actually a week backhand. Murray makes an unreal save on mcdavid and Talbot let's in a week back hand. He has to be better. That was a great team game

Reactions: McChiaricolson

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
We've got points against Pits, Boston and Winnipeg so far. Nashville probably our worst matchup in the league with that defense.

I think Connor is over played, although once Chaisson was out and the kassian line crapped the bed for the fifth goal not sure what options Todd had.

This team looks like it will win a lot of games this year. Could be a wild card team yet but a dependable third pair and fourth line will be necessary as we can't play our top guys this much. They have very little gas by the end of the game

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I mean he did stop Letang on a breakaway about 30 seconds into overtime...

And Crosby on a partial break.

He made a couple of big saves when the Pens were making the Oilers penalty killers look like pylons early on.

Ideally you want Talbot to make a couple of more saves, but the Penguins got a heck of a lot of 5 bell chances despite being out shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad